Will horror movies ever be the same?

Tools    

I know horror movie's that are being made today are of a new kind. But will they ever compare with the horror film's of the past, or are we faced with a new angle. Horror films have taken on a new twist while they are getting less desireable to watch, or are the companies not willing to put the money into them and make them horror films. I know today's films are considered horror films, it is hard to view them as such. All I can say the Rob Zombie is starting to make a impact in the horror film industry, finally someone who make's horror film's like they should be.

Originally Posted by ilsailor
or are the companies not willing to put the money into them and make them horror films.
frankly, I'd rather the big wigs take money out of the horror movies...too much cgi...too many known actors...too many A-rated horrors! but there are some gems out there ie Dog Soldiers, High Tension, Calvaire, Shallow Ground, Ginger Snaps, Dead End...

Originally Posted by ilsailor
All I can say the Rob Zombie is starting to make a impact in the horror film industry, finally someone who make's horror film's like they should be.
I thought the same things...BEFORE I saw 1000 Corpses and Rejects...and unfortunately...after seeing them, Im as disssappointed with him as I was with Saw II

Horrorphiliac

Just wait to Grindhouse comes out your faith of horror films will be redeemed.Robert Rodriguez And Quentin Tarantino are gonna make a huge impact on horror films.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Grindhouse is not true horror. It's an over-the-top I wanna look cool type of horror.

The last few good horror films that are actually comparable with the golden oldies: The Descent, Dog Soldiers, Session 9.

It seems that the industry instead of trying to really scare us and make us feel uncomfortable in the theatre (which is true horror) they are trying to make us scream and jump with crap like The Grudge 2.....it's a bad sign.

Suspect's Reviews

No horror movies are not scary anymore,
They are funny.
Having a good laugh at the end of Saw is exactly what I thought of when I read the title of this post.

frankly, I'd rather the big wigs take money out of the horror movies...
All the "classics" were made with no money by studios on the brink of going under. EG: The Universal movies of the 30s, Hammer of the 50s. Halloween was made on a shoe-string, as were Blair Witch, Night of the Living Dead, Cube. There are probably more movies but I can't think of any right now.

There have also been many turkey's made on a shoe-string. My absolute worst movie of all time: Slugs: The Movie.

There have also been plenty of big-budget horror that have been good: Jaws, Event Horizon, The Thing, Day of the Dead.

But to make a true "classic" you need a low-budget and big imagination to work around the bugetary constraints. But I'm not against the big budgets.

Last good horror film I saw was Hostel.

Originally Posted by JBriscoe
frankly, I'd rather the big wigs take money out of the horror movies...too much cgi...too many known actors...too many A-rated horrors! but there are some gems out there ie Dog Soldiers, High Tension, Calvaire, Shallow Ground, Ginger Snaps, Dead End...
I agree with everything you've said here except -- "Ginger Snaps."

Are you nuts?

That movie was god awful. Terrible acting, logic holes with girths bigger than the ozone hole, and werewolves that looked like wet, shaved dogs.

"Dog Soliders," however, was brilliant.

I'd also point to: "The Descent," "Wolf Creek," "The Others," "Frailty," "28 Days Later," and "The Ring."

I need to rent "High Tension."

Well November 20th-21st should be interesting.
8 brand new never been seen Horror films from AfterDark Films are being released for one weekend only across America.

http://www.horrorfestonline.com/film7.html

The Hamiltons looks especially good.

What looks nice is they they all seem fairly original, and made by real Horror fans. Unlike a lot of the recent Horror movies which have clearly been tainted by money grabbing Hollywood movie producers.

Movie Forums Extra
I thought Rest Stop reminded me of alot of older movies, they did a good job in how they didn't use cheapo CG effects or water down the content at all. It's a pretty good indie horror film anyways. reststopdvd.com

Originally Posted by Dark Party
I agree with everything you've said here except -- "Ginger Snaps."

Are you nuts?

That movie was god awful. Terrible acting, logic holes with girths bigger than the ozone hole, and werewolves that looked like wet, shaved dogs.

I need to rent "High Tension."
Ginger Snaps was an instant cult-favourite...one of the very few successes when revamping a classic sub-genre of horror films...uniquely stylized...a fantastic metaphor for puberty and adolescence...and favourably with out having the typical lead female roles played by ditsy blonde tarts

You simply MUST see High Tension...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Horror were great back in the day of Exorcist

Originally Posted by JBriscoe
Ginger Snaps was an instant cult-favourite...one of the very few successes when revamping a classic sub-genre of horror films...uniquely stylized...a fantastic metaphor for puberty and adolescence...and favourably with out having the typical lead female roles played by ditsy blonde tarts

You simply MUST see High Tension...
But "Ginger Snaps" suffers from several big flaws. One -- the action sequence for when Ginger is bitten is awful. She's tackled -- then she's way out in the woods -- then she's been bitten -- then she's running -- then she's in her sisters arms.

There's no logic or senses to the scene -- it's as if she's been transported back and forth.

Then there is the character of Sam -- who seems to have no point at all (and is one of the worst acting jobs on record).

Plus the werewolves look like wet, plastic hood ornaments.

I WILL rent "High Tension."

Originally Posted by Dark Party
But "Ginger Snaps" suffers from several big flaws. One -- the action sequence for when Ginger is bitten is awful. She's tackled -- then she's way out in the woods -- then she's been bitten -- then she's running -- then she's in her sisters arms.

There's no logic or senses to the scene -- it's as if she's been transported back and forth.

Then there is the character of Sam -- who seems to have no point at all (and is one of the worst acting jobs on record).

Plus the werewolves look like wet, plastic hood ornaments.
yes, it has its flaws...like every low-budget horror movie...INCLUDING Evil Dead and Dog Soliders, to name a couple...but if you focus on the flaws, you'll end up watching the films as if a critic, and not a movie fan...some can watch as both, but they are few and far between...

horror movies have never EVER made me terrified, new or old
maybe i havent seen the right one
I jsut wanna see something SO scary, I **** my pants
everythings been a bummer as of yet though
gimme some suggestions!
dont give me any classic madness either like pyscho or something. those are lame.

The only film that scared me was Arachnophobia... I am arachnophobic and I was 10. But, the only film that has made me so uncomfortable that I couldn't see it through to the end credits was "Cannibal Holocaust." Not scary... just plain sick! It was too much for me... maybe I feeling delicate that day

the most scary movie i ever saw was cujo....scared the life out of me...why cause it could and normally does happen! That is horror!

Cujo was scarier as a book. The film didn't do it for me and I didn't like the "happy" ending!

Originally Posted by YouLuckyBastard
All the "classics" were made with no money by studios on the brink of going under. EG: The Universal movies of the 30s, Hammer of the 50s. Halloween was made on a shoe-string, as were Blair Witch, Night of the Living Dead, Cube. There are probably more movies but I can't think of any right now.
I think you hit on a good point. Desperation in many cases, the drive to create, the need to say something at any cost, these things make for good art a lot of the time. You have to be hungry and big budgets and marketing execs calling the shots makes filmmakers far too comfortable, it does the same thing to writing, painting... Add a dose of insanity and voila... You have to be a little insane to even believe that your voice will be heard in the crowd of the big money sponsored by product X would of commerce based art.

All spiel aside I do believe that all things are cyclical, there always will be something that scares us, as long is there is the unknown there will be someone willing to look into the mirror of the abyss and report back. After all, horror is about US, what scares US, what we fear in ourselves. Without that connection to the primal there is no art, there is no horror.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg