Sci-fi animated movie about reincarnation

Tools    

Hi all,

I remember many years ago (1970s or 80s) I watched a short animated movie without sound but with a haunting soundtrack.

It's about a planet where people bury their dead, and the dead move downwards and when they reach the bottom of the planet (I think it's a plane world, i.e., not a sphere but I'm not sure), they exit the planet in the form of a bird (or some other flying creature?) and fly back upwards, where they are hunted (and killed) by the inhabitants who are not aware that they killed their own relatives.

I searched EVERYWHERE but couldn't find the name of this animated movie.

Thanks!

It's a very long shot, but maybe you think about Polish short animated movie entitled Labyrinth (1962):

[quote=wositelec;2184085]It's a very long shot, but maybe you think about Polish short animated movie entitled Labyrinth (1962).

No, that's not the one, wositelec, but thank you very much for trying and for letting me know about the Polish "Labyrinth" animation!

...I remember many years ago (1970s or 80s) I watched a short animated movie without sound but with a haunting soundtrack.

It's about a planet where people bury their dead, and the dead move downwards and when they reach the bottom of the planet (I think it's a plane world, i.e., not a sphere but I'm not sure), they exit the planet in the form of a bird (or some other flying creature?) and fly back upwards, where they are hunted (and killed) by the inhabitants who are not aware that they killed their own relatives...
That sounds sorta like Fantastic Planet (1973)

[quote=Citizen Rules;2186684]That sounds sorta like Fantastic Planet (1973)

Thanks a lot, Citizen Rules; I've just watched Fantastic Planet and it's indeed a fantastic animated movie, but that's not the one.

It's very similar in mood, though; the music, the characters, the colours.

Cheers,
Paul

[quote=paulj;2189060]
That sounds sorta like Fantastic Planet (1973)

Thanks a lot, Citizen Rules; I've just watched Fantastic Planet and it's indeed a fantastic animated movie, but that's not the one.

It's very similar in mood, though; the music, the characters, the colours.

Cheers,
Paul
Sorry it wasn't the right movie, but glad you liked it anyway Fantastic Planet is one of a kind!

Ok everybody, I just found it!

It's Skywhales (1983)!

Thanks to all who helped!