Million Dollar Baby

→ in
Tools    

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I'm a huge fan of Clint Eastwood, both as an actor and director.
Million Dollar Baby was enjoyable, the three main performances were excellent, and as usual Eastwood's minimal direction was apt for the subject matter.
I don't think it was as good as Mystic River, but I certainly thought it was the best film of all the nominations. Morgan Freeman's voice over reminded me a lot of the Shawshank Redemption, and I believe this was a clever ploy by Eastwood, Freeman seems to be one of the most affable older actors working today, and as such I believe people will warm to any character and film he is in.
Hilaray Swank is fine as the leading lady, but I would like to see her brake her mould of poor white trash, I believe she is capable of much more challenging roles.
Eastwood like Freeman is a Grandfather type figure, who always seems to bring so much to a role by subtle technique and by under playing his role.
I'm glad that Eastwood won the Oscar for his efforts, he seems to be like a fine wine, he just gets better with age, and I look forward to his next project.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I Hate Star Wars
I actually liked this film, I usually don't like movies like this but this one was all right. Good fights and Hillary Swank was lookin good all that thrown in to a good story made a great film.

Movie Forums Member
Let me just say that this movie had great acting, especially from Hillary. However, this movie was extremely depressing and that to me was an issue. I think this movie is good if you want a learning experience about Boxing and how it relates to life in general, but honestly no one needs to come out of a movie feeling down. Not very entertaining is it, and yet it is being produced by the entertainment industry. I think this movie is great for someone that wants to get into film because it has a lot in the directing style, cinematography, and the acting is on the button; but if you want a real boxing movie check out Ali, which has a positive outlook and ending.

I'm not saying this movie is bad.

Originally Posted by dolarhydecb
Let me just say that this movie had great acting, especially from Hillary. However, this movie was extremely depressing and that to me was an issue. I think this movie is good if you want a learning experience about Boxing and how it relates to life in general, but honestly no one needs to come out of a movie feeling down. Not very entertaining is it, and yet it is being produced by the entertainment industry. I think this movie is great for someone that wants to get into film because it has a lot in the directing style, cinematography, and the acting is on the button; but if you want a real boxing movie check out Ali, which has a positive outlook and ending.

I'm not saying this movie is bad.
In your view what does "entertainment" mean? You love The Godfather, but somebody else could just as easily say it is too long, too slow, and has a depressing ending where being bad is rewarded. But of course we'd agree The Godfather is much more than that. So is any great movie.

And the whole notion of "entertainment" is not cut and dried to begin with. I fiond any movie that is emotionally, intellectually or artistically stimulating to be exciting and very entertaining. Even if "nothing much happens" in the plot, or the characters are morally reprehensible and act in ways I would never even think of, or there is a darkness, sadness or cynicism that pervades the storytelling. A great movie is entertaining. It need not have a "happy" resolution. In fact, most days I'd much rather see something that is smart and thoughtful over breezy and quick, no matter what note the conclusion makes. I can enjoy all kinds of flicks. I think most of us do.

It's true Million Dollar Baby will knock you on to your coal mining asses, especially if the viewer is still blissfully unaware about the turn the story takes in the final act. But great storytelling excites and entertains me, even if it is "depressing". As soon as I wipe away those tears, I'm smiling for the experience.

I think, anyway.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
In your view what does "entertainment" mean? You love The Godfather, but somebody else could just as easily say it is too long, too slow, and has a depressing ending where being bad is rewarded. But of course we'd agree The Godfather is much more than that. So is any great movie.

And the whole notion of "entertainment" is not cut and dried to begin with. I fiond any movie that is emotionally, intellectually or artistically stimulating to be exciting and very entertaining. Even if "nothing much happens" in the plot, or the characters are morally reprehensible and act in ways I would never even think of, or there is a darkness, sadness or cynicism that pervades the storytelling. A great movie is entertaining. It need not have a "happy" resolution. In fact, most days I'd much rather see something that is smart and thoughtful over breezy and quick, no matter what note the conclusion makes. I can enjoy all kinds of flicks. I think most of us do.

It's true Million Dollar Baby will knock you on to your coal mining asses, especially if the viewer is still blissfully unaware about the turn the story takes in the final act. But great storytelling excites and entertains me, even if it is "depressing". As soon as I wipe away those tears, I'm smiling for the experience.

I think, anyway.
depressing isn't bad, but this movie just made me feel horrible. I just can't watch someone lose that much on screen all at once in the blink of an eye. I guess I did not know that would happen the first time, well I knew, but I didn't think it would be so severe. Another movie that I thought was somewhat depressing that was similar to this was The Life of David Gale, but that added some light at the end of the tunnel. I'm definitely not bashing this for not being "entertaining" because that is all opinion, but I personally think a movie like this should just have a little more. I just felt like I was left at the end with this horrible feeling that life is not fair and no one can do anything about it. Now this movie centered around boxing, but it could stem to anything in life where you fail because of something that happens out of your control, and I feel a moral like that is just a bit too heavy, at least for a boxing movie. This is all my personal belief about it. I'm not saying I like to leave movies happy all the time, like Speilberg movies do, but I do like to leave movies with a feeling that life is good and that i'm satisfied. I guess i'm the one out of a million thinking this way.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This was written before the oscars, so I'm not changing it. Just to LET you KNOW

Spoilers

So what is all this talk about Million Dollar Baby about? Well it is a good film, mostly directing. Clint I believe has himself another Oscar (Sorry Marty). The film does indeed look and feel real, which is a good relief from the recent Big Budget Fantasy films. Clint handles the characters extremely well and gives them each their moment in the sun.The gritty old feel of this film is perfect for it's style and the theme of boxing. Everyone gives great performances, unfortunately, Swank, doesn't deliver on the level of expectancy. Don't get me wrong, she does a very well job of giving the character emotion and depth and you feel for this girl, but it seems like we've seen it before and it becomes clichéd.

The script was well written, the film actually becomes something of it's own in the third act, which is the best part of the film. Morgan Freeman and Clint both deliver great performances which saved the film from being another random "Oscar" movie, is this Clint's best? NO Is it this years best? No, Is it going to Win an Oscar? Yes, because it's the Oscars...

8/10

Suspect's Reviews

i really don't understand why everyone got so excited about this movie, although i have to say it's a good movie i think there are far better movies out there more deserving of recognition....my problems with the film? first of all, it didn't engage me emotionaly, second, was it really necessary that she was hurt while fighting for the title? would we find her story less tragic if she was hurt while figting an insignificant fight? and was it really necessary to make the girl who caused her injury so evil ( not only is she black, from east berlin but she's also an ex hooker and has a really nasty personality, quite rediculous if you think about it ), this is the main problem i have with all clint eastwood movies, they're way to standard