MoFo Lists

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think it's a good list, even if you might want to change it to Sci-Fi/Fantasy. It doesn't have The Wizard of Oz, among others though, for fantasy.

I love the genre, even if this list gets a bit skewed after the top 20 or so, it still is very interesting to me..

That sci-fi list looks ok I guess, it's gonna be tough to find one of those that I haven't seen most of them already.

I was thinking, specifically, of their Top 100 Sci-Fi List, which seems to contain mostly solid choices, and for which there are not (as far as I can tell) any Film Institute alternatives for, meaning it's something like this, or nothing, as far as certain genre-specific lists go.

What do you guys think?
Well, if Sci-Fi-Guy ever fills any of these out, it will be this one. I just spoke to him yesterday. I'm going to ask him about this list. t seems a tad off to me. His opinion would be a hell of a lot better than mine, though.

I think the Online Film Critics Society list is the best you're gonna do for Sci-Fi. Its big flaw for me is not a distinction between Sci-Fi and Fantasy but that is already five years old...though I don't know how many films from the last half-decade would have made the cut anyway. I certainly would swap out something like The Truman Show for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in a heartbeat, and you'd have to think the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy would be there.

Even so, overall it seems like a pretty solid list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Glad to hear you guys approve. I can't really find anything better, and it seems solid enough. I'll see about adding it soon.

I assume the comments about it being somewhat populated by Fantasies refers primarily to Star Wars?

So there have been a lot of movies that I have not seen out there apparently

This may be a bit obscure, but I recently found this centennial best of Chinese films, apparently created for the 2005 Hong Kong Film Awards'. It's hard for me to say how representative, though it doesn't have a ton of older films it does have more than I've ever heard of before and from the movies I have seen on it it seems to have a pretty decent mix.

Anyway, here's the list. Looks like about 2/3s are from Hong Kong with the rest divided between Taiwan and the mainland. I don't know how much this would interest other people, but there are a lot on that list I want to see.

Hey guys, what do you all think about this list here.

I can't find out any info on where they came up with this list but it looks like a pretty good mix of foreign films.

There's also this list here that looks pretty good too. Any thoughts? I'd really love to get a foreign films list going. I've seen a few of these films and a lot of the ones I haven't seen look fantastic! Plus several of them are on the lists already so some of us can get a nice head start.

Heh. while reading the first list I was actually thinking "there's way too much Bunuel in this list" and then on the second one he's got two films tied for first! Other than that, and the fact that a handful of directors really seem to dominate the first list, both are good, I'd like to see a foreign list too.

Sorry for the delay in this response.

Hey guys, what do you all think about this list here.

I can't find out any info on where they came up with this list but it looks like a pretty good mix of foreign films.

There's also this list here that looks pretty good too. Any thoughts? I'd really love to get a foreign films list going. I've seen a few of these films and a lot of the ones I haven't seen look fantastic! Plus several of them are on the lists already so some of us can get a nice head start.
Both good choices. Anyone have any ideas as to which we should go with? As I've mentioned before, I try to gravitate towards more "official" lists, but beyond the AFI/BFI lists, it's kind of murky. For example, the foreignfilms.com list looks fine, but as far as I can tell it's just some website selling movies.

So, based on that alone, I'd lean towards the Movieline list. What do you guys think? Is it up to snuff? Any better lists out there?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
So, based on that alone, I'd lean towards the Movieline list. What do you guys think? Is it up to snuff? Any better lists out there?
I don't have any better ideas, but I am wary of any 'all time' list which doesn't feature anything more recent than 1991...that's 16 years of film ignored.

On a side note, how about eventually getting a list for each decade? Maybe not 100, but 50, or 25 of the best films from each decade (that way they will all definitely be covered )

I don't have any better ideas, but I am wary of any 'all time' list which doesn't feature anything more recent than 1991...that's 16 years of film ignored.
That may very well be because it's from an article that was published in 96.

I think I like the first one myself, I'm still trying to find out some more background on foreignfilms.com but so far I haven't come up with anything really interesting. It seems that they have been around at least since 2003 when they began a DVD of the month club, so yes it does appear that for the most part they are just a vehicle for sales, and yet to me their list looks pretty solid. But I defer to you guys, I'm just interested in foreign films, especially French ones so either way I'll be happy.