My Favorite Robin Williams Performances

Tools    

Tom Dobbs, Man of the Year

Williams teamed with director Barry Levinson again in this slick political drama playing a comedian/talk show host who decides to run for President and he actually wins...or did he?

Lance, World's Greatest Dad

Williams plays a teacher and aspiring writer whose obnoxious son dies in an embarrassing accident so he sets up his death to look like a suicide and through his own writing, turns him into a cult figure after his death.

Sean, Good Will Hunting

Williams won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar playing a psychiatrist who helps a mathematical genius (Matt Damon) find some direction in his life.

Armand Goldman, The Birdcage

Williams is beautifully understated as a gay nightclub owner who agrees to pretend to be straight when his son's future-in-laws (Gene Hackman, Dianne Wiest) come to town to discuss the wedding.

T.S. Garp, The World According to Garp

People tend to forget how good Williams was in this film version of the John Irvine novel playing the writer of several best selling books whose career is overshadowed by his mother (Glenn Close) who wrote one book that made her an international celebrity.

John Keating, Dead Poet's Society

Williams again effectively underplays as an English teacher at an exclusive boys prep school who inspires his students to exert their independence in myriad ways but pays the price for it. Williams received another Oscar nomination for this performance.

Parry, The Fisher King

Williams received yet another Oscar nomination playing a mentally unbalanced homeless man who meets the former radio shock jock (Jeff Bridges) who is indirectly responsible for the mess his life has become.

Dr. Malcolm Sayer, Awakenings

Williams was superb as a research doctor who connects with a patient (Robert De Niro) who has recently awakened from a 30 year coma.

Daniel Hillard/Mrs. Doubtfire, Mrs. Doubtfire

Williams actually agreed to do this film without even seeing the script. He plays a divorced unemployed actor who disguises himself as a woman in order to get a job babysitting his children.

Sy Parrish, One Hour Photo

Williams is absolutely bone-chilling in this story of a photo developer who becomes obsessed with the family of a regular customer.

Well, that's #2...since #1 is probably obvious, I would like to take the time for some honorable mentions:

Patch Adams in Patch Adams
Joey O'Brien in Cadillac Man
Alan Parrish in Jumnaji (1995)
Jakob in Jakob the Liar
Rainbow Randolph in Death to Smoochy
Whiz Wallace in August Rush

And now, my # 1 favorite Robin Williams performance

Genie, Aladdin

Yes, it was an animated character but there was no other character Williams ever played that displayed the way his mind worked better than this one. The Academy should have created a new category so that this performance could have earned the recognition it deserved. Never has a single movie character electrified movie screens the way this one did...the Gene is practically the only thing people remember about this movie. Williams even got to sing and nailed that too. Students of acting and improvisation should study this performance, it's gold, pure gold and if Williams had never done anything but this, he would still be the legend that he is and always will be.

Hope someone enjoyed the list.

I did. Good Morning, Vietnam and Awakenings are my two favorite Robin Williams films. I think the honorable mentions should include Mork (The first season shows were really good.) and a small but essential uncredited role in Noel with Susan Sarandon.

I did. Good Morning, Vietnam and Awakenings are my two favorite Robin Williams films. I think the honorable mentions should include Mork (The first season shows were really good.) and a small but essential uncredited role in Noel with Susan Sarandon.

I've never heard of Noel, but I love Susan Sarandon so I guess I should check it out. I should do a list of my favorite Susan Sarandon performances.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Jack Dundee, The Best of Times

Robin was actually very funny in this 1986 comedy playing a guy who is obsessed with a game-losing fumble he made in high school who talks his BFF/quarterback (Kurt Russell) and the rest of his teammates into having a rematch with the team that beat them back in 1972.

My brother told me about this movie and when he did the "Jack Aquarius" scene to seduce his wife, I nearly choked from laughing so hard the first time I saw this. One year we had our tradition of playing touch football on Thanksgiving and my brother's best friend decide to pull the Jack spin move after he yelled "Hut 1 Hut 2" and we were both laughing so hard.

I will probably get tarred and feathered for this, but I did like him as Popeye LOL

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I didn't understand a word Robin Williams said in Popeye.

"Renk! Renk! It says you have a room for renk!"

"What kind of name of Olive Oyl? Sounds like some kind of lubricank"

Williams is absolutely bone-chilling in this story of a photo developer who becomes obsessed with the family of a regular customer.
I was thinking about One Hour Photo the other day. I'd like to see it again because it is excellent. Connie Nielsen's really good too.

Great list @Gideon58 , as usual your words are thoughtful and insightful; and you mention performances others may neglect. I do not wish to dismay you in what I say next - but I must admit I 've had a hard time re- watching much of his work, because I can't fully separate the man on screen from the memory of his horrific self inflicted demise.
I think I may have a harder time than many viewers because , as a fan of great stand up, I watched his rise in the business, doing hilarious rapid fire routines through the years on Carson and Letterman.

But you've reminded me of performances I can not neglect. Very glad you mentioned the Law and Order SUV episode - he was terrific in that. And if the man was channeling his own angst, he did a superb job. Television these days often rises to the level of top notch film making; and this show was well chosen and his role well played. , My own number two pick would be The Birdcage: loved it and it never dulls with repeated viewings. Great supporting cast as well, and Robin seemed to be a generous co star, who allowed others to shine onscreen. And I applaud your number one choice, as ( since he isn't onscreen) I can evade remembering his sad denouement. Most of all, through this animated character; I can just luxuriate in his brilliant and universally accepted comedic persona. Wisely put Gideon - no film better displayed the workings of his mind. Which, to put it mildly- was unique.