Citizen Goes To War!!!

→ in
Tools    

Another war movie with an interesting plot that I recently viewed...
Prison Ship (1945).

Captured allied prisoners are locked up on a Japanese cargo ship - but they begin to suspect their captors are planning to use the ship as a decoy to goad American submarines to fire upon it, unknowingly killing the prisoners. Can the prisoners plan an escape and overthrow their Axis captors in time to save themselves?

I loved the plot - it's a prison movie, it's a war movie, it's a ship at sea movie, it's a rebellion & revenge movie, it's a diverse cast of international characters thrown together in a survival situation movie (ala an Irwin Allen disaster film), etc.

For all that... it could have been better if it was longer & had better production values (so great candidate for a major motion picture remake). Still, it was exciting enough for a war movie with a less-than-an-hour runtime!

My favorite bit of trivia for this one is it starred Robert Lowery (who played BATMAN in the 1949 movie serials: Batman and Robin)!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038001...rison%2520ship
That sounds good! Especially the part I bolded. I only have a couple more days to watch war film before I send in my ballot to the Top 100 War Countdown so I won't be able to watch it before then, but...I plan to keep watching war films during the 2 months that the daily countdown reveal goes on....so I'll get to it if I can find it. Thanks

Oh yeah! Path of Glory one of the greats for sure. I remember seeing that and being amazed at every camera angle that Stanley Kubrick used...and Kirk Douglas is great, he's always good in his movies. Good choice. I've not seen the new All Quiet on the Western Front but I've seen the original a couple times and think very highly of it.
I'm sure both of those movies will make the War Countdown, hope everyone follows along once it starts, I know I will

Cool. I brought the new quiet on the Western front recently can't wait to watch it and will do later if I got time. Subtitled as well I didn't know that till recently.

Cool. I brought the new quiet on the Western front recently can't wait to watch it and will do later if I got time. Subtitled as well I didn't know that till recently.
Subtitled would be handy unless one spoke German and French. I don't.

Subtitled would be handy unless one spoke German and French. I don't.

Lol i only know some German nowhere near enough to understand a full movie 😄 I knew a guy who spoke French German and English he said watching inglorious bastards made him feel like Mr worldwide. Really made me laugh for some reason. But yeah I don't mind subtitles definitely wouldn't want to watch it dubbed

Days until War Countdown deadline: 4

I reviewed this here at MoFo some years ago so I'll tweak my old review and add some new thoughts to it.

The Hunters (1958)
Director: Dick Powell

During the height of the Korean War conflict, 1952...two jet fighter pilots come into conflict when Major Saville (Robert Mitchum) takes a fancy to Lieuntent Abott's (Lee Philips) wife Kris (May Britt). Ironically it's up to the Major to look after the demoralized Lt Abbott who's self loathing is driving his wife into the arms of the Major.

Sound like a soap opera? Hey it's the late 50s and melodramas were all the rage. This one is set during the Korean war and features lots of footage of F86 Sabre jets in action. My favorite jet powered fighter plane what a cool looking plane! There's lots of stunning aerial footage of the plane and one heartbreak real crash of a F100 Super Sabre that killed the pilot.

The aerial dogfights with Korean/Russian Migs looks great both visually and exciting. Of course the Russians weren't loaning Migs to Hollywood to make this movie! Those Migs are actually F-84F Thunderstreaks.

Truth be told the melodrama personal stories don't work well here. I like Robert Mitchum but his character has little charisma with May Britt, Though Swedish born actress May Britt does a fine job at subtle and believable acting just too bad William Holden wasn't the lead. The other actor who shines in this in an offbeat wacky way is Robert Wagner. I got a kick out of young Wagner's hip beatnik talk, and how it confused older Robert Mitchum to no end.
The Hunters is a splashy war picture with on location footage in Japan. Not the best of the sub-genre but still worth a watch.

++

Days until War Countdown deadline: 3

The Thin Red Line (1998)
Director Terrence Malick

I watched this once before, almost a quarter of a century ago. At that time I was impressed and for the last 25 years I thought of this as a favorite war film. But after rewatching this I realized my movie taste have changed and I didn't care for it. I did love the look of the film, the way it was filmed and especially the shooting locations including filming on Guadalcanal. But what drove me crazy was the endless inner monologue narrative which is a staple of Malick's films. Just one of the many examples of this flowery philosophical narrative is:
This great evil, where's it come from? How'd it steal into the world? What seed, what root did it grow from? Who's doing this? Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we might've known? Does our ruin benefit the earth, does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too? Have you passed through this night?
I just don't care to have a film preach Age of Aquarius type hyperbola at me and The Thin Red Line does this a lot!
Sean Penn was great in this as you might expect. I'm sure the multi ensemble cast was good too but Malick doesn't believe in character development or story, he believes in photography and poetry.

I'm glad to have rewatched this after so many years, now I have a fresh opinion of it.

Days until War Countdown deadline: 2

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944)
Director/Writer: Preston Sturges

*I rewatched this last night after eight years, my opinion has gone up this time around.

For the average person watching this film today it's nothing more than a zany screwball comedy from days long gone by...But for audiences back in 1944 this was one helluva gusty movie! It was made during WWII and deals with a serious concern of the time.

Betty Hutton is a young woman living at home with her strict father (William Demarest) and her wise beyond years, younger sister (Diana Lynn). The local town boys have enlisted in the army and are about to be shipped off to fight in the war. Betty feels it's her duty to attend an all night dance party to help send the boys off right. It's the least she can do for them. But her father forbids her to go so she lies and says she's going to the movies with a goofy guy who's physically unfit for the army, (Eddie Bracken). Eddie has the hots for Betty...she leaves him at the movies and takes his car and goes off to the big party.

The next morning Betty drives up to the town's theater where Eddie has been waiting for her all night. She's drunk as a skunk and says she got married but doesn't remember to who and she has no marriage licenses either. Latter Betty finds out she's pregnant.

For today's audiences a young pregnant woman is the stuff TV reality shows are made of and no one cares much, but back in the 1940's this social commentary comedy was cutting edge stuff. Director/writer Preston Sturges gets around the Hays Code censors by having a pregnant Betty married...BUT he cleverly never shows the marriage and Betty has no proof of marriage, so it's a conceit to the audiences that she's not really married at all.

In other words she did what many young patriotic girls did during WWII, she gave her virginity to a soldier as part of the war effort. That really did happen and they were called Victory Girls and unwanted pregnancies were often the results. By wrapping this message in a zany comedy Preston Sturges pushed the envelope of film making and delivers a fun but poignant film.

When the movie first came out it was a huge hit and tickets sold out quickly, no doubt to the racy nature of the film. It's a film that's worth watching for both film history and for great performances by Betty Hutton, Diana Lynn and William Demarest and just for the fun of it too.

Days until War Countdown deadline: 1 Today! July 26th

Hell Is for Heroes (1962)
Director Don Siegel

This is one I should have left in the past. Years ago I watched it and thought it was pretty good but after tonight's viewing I felt like it was by-the-numbers and nothing really stood out as special. It almost had the feeling of a movie made for the drive-in theater where the emphasis is on entertainment. Steve McQueen seemed to be pretty serious and Bobby Darin did a fine job and Bob Newhart worked well for comic relief. Yet nothing struck me as a real stand out.

-

I'm still watching war films as I wait for the BIG Top 100 MoFo War Countdown to start! Did I mention I'm excited about it

None But the Brave (1965)
Director: Frank Sinatra

Pretty good anti-war film that deserves to be more well known. This is Sinatra's only directorial movie, he did a good job of it too. The film is shot mostly on Kauai and looks real good with some of the closeups being done on a sound stage.

Its main claim to fame is a pretty decent morality tale of what happens when a U.S. platoon crash lands on a small South Pacific island which is occupied by a small contingent of Japanese soldiers. The Japanese have lost communications with their main army and feel abandoned...and discipline is breaking down. The U.S. platoon is also cut off from their army as the radio is fried so both sides are on their own. First we get bloodshed but then the two sides need to work together just to survive. The scene were the medic (Frank Sinatra) makes a deal to amputate a gangrene leg of a wounded Japanese solider in exchange for much needed fresh water was the highlight of the movie. Really a well directed and acted scene.

Sure this situation wouldn't have happened for real but the ending wraps it up on a poignant note. A number of Japanese actors were involved as was the Toyo studios. I liked that the movie spends an equal amount of time on the Japanese soldiers story.

+

Fat Man and Little Boy (1989)
Director Roland Joffé

"This film reenacts the Manhattan Project, the secret wartime project in New Mexico where the first atomic bombs were designed and built."

I haven't seen Nolan's Oppenheimer film but I've watched 1989's Fat Man and Little Boy before. I'm not an expert on the Manhattan Project but based on what I know I'd say this is factual with the handling of the major components of the story. Oh sure there's an added character played by John Cusack who falls for a pretty nurse (Laura Dern) and has a deadly accident in the lab while handling the infamous 'Demon Core' of plutonium. Sadly this accident did happen to two different men and with the same core of plutonium which earned it it's moniker. To the point: this held my attention, I believed it and if anything wished it was longer.

The Day After Trinity (1981)
Documentary

After watching Fat Man and Little Boy I wanted to learn more about Los Alamos and Robert Oppenheimer. I found this excellent documentary made in 1981. The Day After Trinity interviews scientist who worked at Los Alamos including Frank Oppenheimer who worked with his famous brother on the 'gadget'. There's no reenactments, no historical experts giving their opinions, just honest interviews with people who were there at Los Alamos and others who knew Oppenheimer personally. This doc gave me insight into the real story and conflicts at Los Alamos and into the type of man Robert Oppenheimer was...Oh and I learned that his funny hat is called a Pork Pie hat.

Continuing my Oppenheimer theme:

Day One (1989)
Director Joseph Sargent

A made for TV movie that I'd never heard of before just the other day. This tells the story of the beginnings of the Manhattan Project from inception to delivery of a bouncing 'little boy'. Brian Dennehy is the gruff, demanding General Groves who's ham fisted determination keeps the scientist in check. David Strathairn is Robert Oppenheimer. Not the best Oppie not the worst at least he looked like him more or less. Day One is not as entertaining as Fat Man and Little Boy but it goes into much more detail and feels more authentic covering a lot of the side stories that other movies leave out. I've read that this is pretty close to factual so if you want to know what was what at Los Alamos this is a good movie to check out.

++

Just for my future info, I watched these two older History Channel show episodes:

Modern Marvels The Manhattan Project
&
Lost Worlds: Untold Story of The Manhattan Project

American Experience: Trials of Robert Oppenheimer (2009)

This is part of the award winning, American Experience TV series that is on PBS. This particular episode is a 1h 51min recounting of the early life of J. Robert Oppenheimer with the primary focus on the actual trail transcripts of 1954 when Oppenheimer was interrogated a total of 27 hours by a committee investigating alleged communist ties.

Actor David Strathairn (who played Oppenheimer in the movie Day One) recreates the closed hearing trial by reading directly taken from the originally transcripts. Plus we get the the usual still photos with voice over narration that is effectively done. I thought this was excellent! Well rounded and detailed without spending too much time on the actual Manhattan Project as this is about the political downfall of Oppenheimer after WWII.

+

You can watch it legally on PBS (though you might need to be in the U.S.)
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...s/oppenheimer/

The Beginning or the End (1947)
Director: Norman Taurug

"The Beginning or the End is a 1947 American docudrama film about the development of the atomic bomb in World War II...The film dramatizes the creation of the atomic bomb in the Manhattan Project and the bombing of Hiroshima. The film originated in October 1945 as a project of actress Donna Reed and her high school science teacher, Edward R. Tompkins, who was a chemist at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory...The title was supplied by President Harry S. Truman..." Wiki

A surprisingly frank and bleak film about the underpinnings of the Manhattan Project. Filming on the movie started a scant eight months after the atom bombs were used on Japan. In a film made right after the end of WWII, I expected to see a flag waving, back slapping, patriotic story but what's shown is how most all of the key figures from the President to the scientist view the atom bomb as a weapon from hell. Key figures in the movie are deeply troubled by the bombs use and fear nuclear proliferation could spell the end of mankind.

Hard to believe this polarizing film ever got made. I valued it for it's first time ever telling to the American people of the work behind the Manhattan Project and for it's interesting historical view...I also found it fast paced and engaging. As a bonus we see actual aerial shots of the B-29s from the 509th composite group at Tinina, with the Enola Gay and it's two support planes The Great Artiste and Necessary Evil being flown on their mission to Hiroshima.

One interesting thing is towards the end of the film someone asked which type of bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, the uranium or plutonium bomb. That fact must have been a military secret as it's never reveled, with the person asking being told it's a secret.

Hiroshima (1995)
Directed by Koreyoshi Kurahara & Roger Spottiswoode

Today is the 78th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, August 6th...Hiroshima is a two part, 3 hour mini series that was produced as a joint production by Canadian and Japanese studios and was originally aired on Showtime back in 1995.

This is highly rated at IMDB, currently at 7.9 and after watching it I know why. The film is very detailed and very factual and as close to historically correct that a film can get. Where it shines is that it tells both the political story of the Americans quest to end WWII culminating in the atomic bomb and it richly covers the story of the political situation in Japan, which was complex to say the least.
The film uses archival war footage mixed with dramatizations with actors and presents it in sepia-toned images, creating an air of authenticity about the production.