Welcome To Our Nightmare: A Terror and Wooley Horror Show

Tools    

House gets a lot better anytime George Wendt is on screen. Otherwise the movie feels like Evil Dead lite, and Steve Miner is no Sam Raimi.

I'd give it a
probably.

Grade school me always loved that they got "Cliff Claven"* for the sequel.

*: Grade school me wasn't going to learn, "john ratzenberger".

Now House II... that's another story.

Say what you will about House II, but I love the gag with the pocket pistol.

Grade school me always loved that they got "Cliff Claven"* for the sequel.

*: Grade school me wasn't going to learn, "john ratzenberger".
Thanks a lot, now the Cheers theme is stuck in my head.

Victim of The Night
Yeah, this one's pretty good. I'm not a fan of the 1932 version.
No, it's boring as hell.

Victim of The Night
Say what you will about House II, but I love the gag with the pocket pistol.
I will say that my memory (from about 10 years ago and then about 20 years before that) is that House II is a lot of fun and very underappreciated.

Victim of The Night
Really struggling through a movie now, for the first time in a while.
A movie pretty highly recommended by Bloody Disgusting that I'd hoped would be an off-the-beaten-path is really giving me resistance. So far, bad script, bad acting, and a low-budget vibe that feels all wrong given the bizarre decision to put this movie in 2.35:1 which it not only does not need but does not fit. I think the directing might be awful too but I'm not totally sure yet.
Also, it fails to be scary even when it's trying really hard.
Anyway. Sheesh.

THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1964)

Chapter 2 of the Hammer mummy series. Another solid film, but suffers from the loss of Christopher Lee as the mummy. The mummy design is pretty cool, but while Lee was able to get a lot across with his eyes, this actor's eyes aren't even visible under the makeup. Also this mummy has sort of a drunken shambling gait, as opposed to Lee's much more powerful presence. The plot of every mummy movie ever is pretty much the same, and this is no different, but it's engaging enough and the obnoxious American promoter makes for a memorable character. Not the best of the series, but will suffice if you're just in the mood for some murderous mummy action.

Side tangent: I've gotta mention that I'm always distracted by the fact that this mummy has a pretty severe "spare tire" he's carrying around. All the mummies I've ever seen were emaciated. What is this guy eating?

Really struggling through a movie now, for the first time in a while.
A movie pretty highly recommended by Bloody Disgusting that I'd hoped would be an off-the-beaten-path is really giving me resistance. So far, bad script, bad acting, and a low-budget vibe that feels all wrong given the bizarre decision to put this movie in 2.35:1 which it not only does not need but does not fit. I think the directing might be awful too but I'm not totally sure yet.
Also, it fails to be scary even when it's trying really hard.
Anyway. Sheesh.
Sorry to hear it, but this usually means we're in for an entertaining review.

Victim of The Night

THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1964)

Chapter 2 of the Hammer mummy series. Another solid film, but suffers from the loss of Christopher Lee as the mummy. The mummy design is pretty cool, but while Lee was able to get a lot across with his eyes, this actor's eyes aren't even visible under the makeup. Also this mummy has sort of a drunken shambling gait, as opposed to Lee's much more powerful presence. The plot of every mummy movie ever is pretty much the same, and this is no different, but it's engaging enough and the obnoxious American promoter makes for a memorable character. Not the best of the series, but will suffice if you're just in the mood for some murderous mummy action.

Side tangent: I've gotta mention that I'm always distracted by the fact that this mummy has a pretty severe "spare tire" he's carrying around. All the mummies I've ever seen were emaciated. What is this guy eating?

The appearance of mummies has always been a problem for me. In a lot of the Universal films and the Hammer ones as well, you can pretty much see where the zipper is and where the separate parts of the "costume" are when they are supposed to actually have been wrapped. It's a real failing in a lot of these films, particularly the one (the original Mummy's Tomb, maybe?), when Chaney Jr. plays the role, as he was always kinda doughy.

Victim of The Night
Sorry to hear it, but this usually means we're in for an entertaining review.
Should be an interesting one.
As I've always said, I usually have a lot more to say about bad movies than good ones.

Victim of The Night
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's......Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things.
Oh no, sorry, totally fair guess but this is contemporary.
I usually do not watch contemporary horror without pretty dazzling recommendations from people here on this forum (or the past ones). I do not like having 90+ minutes of my life wasted. But I felt like I needed to have at least one this month so I took a flyer. I think it's an interesting experience.

The appearance of mummies has always been a problem for me. In a lot of the Universal films and the Hammer ones as well, you can pretty much see where the zipper is and where the separate parts of the "costume" are when they are supposed to actually have been wrapped. It's a real failing in a lot of these films, particularly the one (the original Mummy's Tomb, maybe?), when Chaney Jr. plays the role, as he was always kinda doughy.
Yes, and the third Hammer film might have the stupidest mummy costume ever.
(I hope yall aren't tired of reading about mummies, 'cause I've got two more to go.)

Victim of The Night
Yes, and the third Hammer film might have the stupidest mummy costume ever.
(I hope yall aren't tired of reading about mummies, 'cause I've got two more to go.)
Too many Mummies? Is that even a thing?

(Hell, I actually just watched Scooby Doo and a Mummy, Too.)