Overrated films

Tools    

They were written for highschool kids, so that's probably the answer for that.
Shoujo movies indeed.

However, there are many movies based on stuff written for 7th grade girls that rock such as Whisper of the Heart, the Utena movie and Cardcaptor Sakura movie 2nd.

There's great stuff out there written for kids and written well, but if you can't make gazillions of dollars out of them or turn them into a franchise, they're not interested. This isn't about quality.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Godfather
Casablanca
Scarface
The Graduate
Chinatown
Sideways
Slumdog Millionaire
The English Patient
All about Eve
I agree with half your list and disagree with the other half.

Django Unchained... I didn't hate it because it has 1 or 2 great scenes but in general is disappointing...

For me, it's the worst movie Tarantino ever made, and everytime I listen to someone saying it's his best after Pulp Fiction or even his best ever I want to shoot myself!
Wow, I thought Django Unchained as brilliant.

I don't understand the hype around pulp fiction.
Sites for legal streaming, the best streaming platforms
Look at torrents français, a good source to find french torrents

the only thing that is overrated is opinions, maybe?

i can think my top movie is fit for a king, someone else can think it sucks donkey balls

Honeykid can love Charlie's Angels, someone else can declare that retarded

Daniel M can count Pulp Fiction in his all-time top 3 films, someone else may pronounce it garbage

Who is anyone to take that away though?

Maybe that person connects to something another just didn't grasp. Which makes sense, bc everyone's life is different and people connect to different stuff sometimes

Maybe this was obvious, but nobody said it yet

"Maybe that person connects to something another just didn't grasp. Which makes sense, bc everyone's life is different and people connect to different stuff sometimes"

That's well said, true too.

It seems to me that most younger guys tend to like violent or rebellious films, hence the love for Fightclub, Pulp Fiction, etc. I presume they see in those films what they wish they could be. Others just don't get the praise of those films as they don't connect in the same way.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

i can think my top movie is fit for a king, someone else can think it sucks donkey balls

Daniel M can count Pulp Fiction in his all-time top 3 films, someone else may pronounce it garbage

Maybe that person connects to something another just didn't grasp. Which makes sense, bc everyone's life is different and people connect to different stuff sometimes

I think this is more about movies with great ratings by numerous critics, not just one person's opinion vs. a second person's opinion. For example, the movies that have high ratings on sites like IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, and even our own countdowns here, that have been rated highly by a lot of people.

For example, the movie A Clockwork Orange, which has a rating of 8.4 on IMDB, and is # 72 on IMDB's Top 250 Movies, has an 89% rating from critics and 93% rating from the audience on Rotten Tomatoes, and even landed in the Top 10 on the MoFo countdown.

IMO, that's an overrated movie. Obviously most people won't agree with me, but that's what makes it overrated.

I think this is more about movies with great ratings by numerous critics, not just one person's opinion vs. a second person's opinion. For example, the movies that have high ratings on sites like IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, and even our own countdowns here, that have been rated highly by a lot of people.

For example, the movie A Clockwork Orange, which has a rating of 8.4 on IMDB, and is # 72 on IMDB's Top 250 Movies, has an 89% rating from critics and 93% rating from the audience on Rotten Tomatoes, and even landed in the Top 10 on the MoFo countdown.

IMO, that's an overrated movie. Obviously most people won't agree with me, but that's what makes it overrated.
landed in the top 10 of the *70's* countdown

Really though? If you're gonna use that logic, A Clockwork Orange's aggregate average there is 8.87 out of 10. (8.4+8.9+9.3=26.6. 26.6/3=8.87) That's extremely good

How many movies from the 70's can you find that beat that average? (this is using the logic you provided, not necessarily my own)

landed in the top 10 of the *70's* countdown

Really though? If you're gonna use that logic, A Clockwork Orange's aggregate average there is 8.87 out of 10. (8.4+8.9+9.3=26.6. 26.6/3=8.87) That's extremely good

How many movies from the 70's can you find that beat that average? (this is using the logic you provided, not necessarily my own)
It's not even that, it's that gbg made it clear that this thread was not about peoples opinions... then proceeded to use her own opinion to say a movie is overrated

It's not even that, it's that gbg made it clear that this thread was not about peoples opinions... then proceeded to use her own opinion to say a movie is overrated
haha, right right. i see now

haha, right right. i see now

yea, basically, to call a movie overrated is to claim that one's own opinion supersedes others

which goes back to the original point that the only thing that's overrated here is the value of one's own opinion. anyone's
If the movie has a high critic or audience rating, but in your opinion you didn't like it, then you can say it's overrated (to you). Just because someone says a film is overrated doesn't make it fact. It makes it their opinion. That's all the question is asking. Stop overthinking it.

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

So have we decided if overrated=over hyped? They would seem to be different concepts to me.

Overrated stems from people's needs to place a numerical value on something, I.E. rating movies.

Personally I reject the idea that any one film could be called the greatest. Though we all have films that we love for personal reasons. That's as it should be.....Art if felt by the individual, not by a tally of votes.

It would be great if "select" posts by "some" users weren't reeking of self-importance and an attitude of "I'm-oh-so-high-brow"....
Agreed. It's all well and good thinking a movie is overrated but I don't like the objectiveness, matter-of-fact manner of speaking that some people use when expressing such an opinion, implying that a person is any lesser for enjoying something more than they do

Yeah, and as I point out every so often, saying something is "overrated" isn't even a statement about the film--it's a statement about how other people are reacting to the film. And it multiplies the subjectivity: what we think of a film is already somewhat subjective, but now, on top of that, we're adding people's vague impressions of how much something is "rated," which is usually based on a handful of half-remembered anecdotes.

I don't think discussions about films being overrated ever end up being more than some people venting, and other people being mad at those people.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
I don't think discussions about films being overrated ever end up being more than some people venting, and other people being mad at those people.
True, but what else is the internet for?

Post of the year .