Who Wants to Kill Jessie? / Kdo chce zabít Jessii? (1966) - Václav Vor

→ in
Tools    

Who Wants to Kill Jessie? (Czech: Kdo chce zabít Jessii?) is a 1966 Czechoslovak science fiction comedy film directed by Václav Vorlíček. The story focuses on a couple who use a machine which can bring objects and people from dreams to the real world. The main plot includes the accidental release of the comics character Jessie into the real world, and the film features many gags about the clash between the real world, and comics imagery such as word balloons and sound effects. The film premiered on 26 August 1966.[1]

The comics illustrator Kája Saudek participated as the creator of special effects and illustrations for the film.[2] (Wikipedia)
HD trailer created by me, that includes music from the spanish new wave band "Los Zombies", from the early 1980's:

Note:

This director Václav Vorlíček, is a brilliant artist for whom I allready made some earlier reviews (on a portuguese cinema forum, not here) of a couple of his films:

I will review this film on a following post, when I get the time. This is just the film introduction.

This is my first post on this forum, but I do have 3 or 4 You Tube and Vimeo channels with film trailers that I made along the years, as you can spot on the first two clips (the third clip for the witch girl is not mine).

Meanwhile I'm thinking of translating to english and posting here some of my film reviews of rare films from the Soviet Union, Asia, South America, and so on...

This director Václav Vorlíček, is a brilliant artist for whom I allready made some earlier reviews (on a portuguese cinema forum, not here) of a couple of his films:
I love some old Czech comedies, but was kind of lukewarm on this one. I'll look more into Vaclav Vorlicek though. I really liked You Are a Widow, Sir.

Meanwhile I'm thinking of translating to english and posting here some of my film reviews of rare films from the Soviet Union, Asia, South America, and so on...
Please do. There are some great & interesting movies featured on your youtube channel. I think my late Soviet sci-fi fandom has finally been overtaken on this forum.

re93animator, thanks for your support in my first two topics, they did make a huge difference for me.

I spotted the 1922 swedish-danish silent film Häxan as one of your favourites in your profile, and there is a forum profile page for the film in this forum, linked from your profile. I see we have much in common in cinema taste.

I commented this film in 2016, rated it 100% and compared it to "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, because in 1922, Cinema was mostly made for idiots and retards to laugh in a fair or circus tent, alongside a freak show, while this "Haxan" is a very unusual scientific serious work, denouncing belief in witchcraft as stupidity, with great cinematic re-enactments of the historical myths, that do seem like something that Carl Sagan would aprove of.

Because I am new in the forum, I don't understand how that film profile page was created, and if I want to comment the film, am I supposed to comment on that profile page? That page says there are no reviews or discussions. What would be the apropriate method for me to comment that film here?

re93animator, you have a screenshot from the Stanley Kramer film "Inherit the Wind" in your profile, I did a lot of research on the subject, before I reviewed it in Portugal, where the readers know I respect Stanley Kramer for going against McArthysm (not sure how to spell it, I make reference to the quasi-fascist period of the USA, the witch hunt for communists in the film industry).

That one is a great Kramer film, and so I investigated around the world the crime of Creationism beeing taught in a school.

In Europe we have an institution called "Council of Europe", far above the European Union, that includes the whole of Europe (and of course Russia, an european country like any other). The Council of Europe passed a resolution around 10-15 years ago declaring the teaching of Creationism a crime, where any european country will be fined if a school teacher engages in the criminal act of teaching that Man was created by god, and the government allows such crime to go unpunished.

The Council of Europe does not permit any form of religion to contradict scientific evidence in schools.

But South America is not protected by the Council of Europe, neither is the USA, at the time of my film review I mentioned Brazil, where one brazilian state banned the teaching of Evolution in biology classes, because it contradicted the Old Testament. In Europe in the 21th Century, there was an Eastern European country that did the same (banned Evolution in public schools), but the European Council immediately intervened and forced the country to stop such practice.

I can discuss Kramer's "Inherit the Wind" on an european film forum, but I would be afraid to do it on an american or brazilian film forum. This does not mean I have a "Holier than thou" thought or attitude, I admire the 1776 "We the people..." american thing when my country still had a King, and today many european countries still have medieval blasphemy laws, for example Portugal and France don't have Blasphemy Laws, but if I want to drive from Portugal to France, I must cross the whole of Spain where people today still go to jail for the crime of Blasphemy against God, I enjoy going to Spain, I go there all the time, but I can be arrested if I sit on a café insulting baby Jejus out loud, however I can insult baby Jesus all that I want in Portugal and France, not that I have any reason to do so, but it is allowed if I wish to do it.

And finally, I am aware that Kramer exagerated the true event, in order to use it as a methaphor for the american fascist period against screenwriters , the Macarthy thing.

PS: I talked about this Stanley Kramer film because I admire it and you are using a screenshot from it on your profile. I have no idea if a discussion thread exists on this forum, maybe started by yourself...

In such case, if you want, I can share what I wrote just now, over there, but be warned that people get pissed off when religion is discussed, even on atheist european countries, so I won't delve deeper...

re93animator, thanks for your support in my first two topics, they did make a huge difference for me.

I spotted the 1922 swedish-danish silent film Häxan as one of your favourites in your profile, and there is a forum profile page for the film in this forum, linked from your profile. I see we have much in common in cinema taste.

I commented this film in 2016, rated it 100% and compared it to "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, because in 1922, Cinema was mostly made for idiots and retards to laugh in a fair or circus tent, alongside a freak show, while this "Haxan" is a very unusual scientific serious work, denouncing belief in witchcraft as stupidity, with great cinematic re-enactments of the historical myths, that do seem like something that Carl Sagan would aprove of.

Because I am new in the forum, I don't understand how that film profile page was created, and if I want to comment the film, am I supposed to comment on that profile page? That page says there are no reviews or discussions. What would be the apropriate method for me to comment that film here?
Yes. To me, the reenactments seem intentionally silly at times, and the morale seems obvious now, though there is still some relevant commentary regarding torture forcing false confessions. Beyond that, I fell in love with the style & subject (I love darker movies seen through timeworn lenses), and see it as a perhaps unintentional early horror movie.

The film profile pages are just a small feature of the site. I suppose you could use the comment section on film pages, but I don't expect many (if any) will see a comment if it's not in a regular forum thread. I've never really bothered looking through the film profile pages myself, and I suspect most users are the same in that regard. If you want to comment on a specific film, you could use the search to see if there are any existing threads, or just make your own. A lot of users make personal review threads to write about any films they like as well, but most of them are not too frequented unfortunately.

re93animator, you have a screenshot from the Stanley Kramer film "Inherit the Wind" in your profile, I did a lot of research on the subject, before I reviewed it in Portugal, where the readers know I respect Stanley Kramer for going against McArthysm (not sure how to spell it, I make reference to the quasi-fascist period of the USA, the witch hunt for communists in the film industry).
That one is a great Kramer film, and so I investigated around the world the crime of Creationism beeing taught in a school.
In Europe we have an institution called "Council of Europe", far above the European Union,
that includes the whole of Europe (and of course Russia, an european country like any other). The Council of Europe passed a resolution around 10-15 years ago declaring the teaching of Creationism a crime, where any european country will be fined if a school teacher engages in the criminal act of teaching that Man was created by god, and the government allows such crime to go unpunished.
The Council of Europe does not permit any form of religion to contradict scientific evidence in schools.
But South America is not protected by the Council of Europe, neither is the USA, at the time of my film review I mentioned Brazil, where one brazilian state banned the teaching of Evolution in biology classes, because it contradicted the Old Testament. In Europe in the 21th Century, there was an Eastern European country that did the same (banned Evolution in public schools), but the European Council immediately intervened and forced the country to stop such practice.
I can discuss Kramer's "Inherit the Wind" on an european film forum, but I would be afraid to do it on an american or brazilian film forum. This does not mean I have a "Holier than thou" thought or attitude, I admire the 1776 "We the people..." american thing when my country still had a King, and today many european countries still have medieval blasphemy laws, for example Portugal and France don't have Blasphemy Laws, but if I want to drive from Portugal to France, I must cross the whole of Spain where people today still go to jail for the crime of Blasphemy against God, I enjoy going to Spain, I go there all the time, but I can be arrested if I sit on a café insulting baby Jejus out loud, however I can insult baby Jesus all that I want in Portugal and France, not that I have any reason to do so, but it is allowed if I wish to do it.
And finally, I am aware that Kramer exagerated the true event, in order to use it as a methaphor for the american fascist period against screenwriters , the Macarthy thing.
PS: I talked about this Stanley Kramer film because I admire it and you are using a screenshot from it on your profile. I have no idea if a discussion thread exists on this forum, maybe started by yourself...
In such case, if you want, I can share what I wrote just now, over there, but be warned that people get pissed off when religion is discussed, even on atheist european countries, so I won't delve deeper...
Inherit the Wind is a great movie, but if I'm being honest, I just shallowly love the silly pic of a monkey smoking a cigarette. You're the first to recognize it. Spencer Tracy has been a favorite of mine since I was young though, and Inherit the Wind would still be a hot button movie to many people near where I live. I should give it a re-watch soon.

I grew up in the Southern US (some people call it the 'Bible Belt'). Creationism wasn't taught in public schools where I was, but when I briefly moved to a private school I did experience creationism being taught in my biology class. I was young and didn't think much of it, but I also had a personal tutor that refused to teach me from the school's chosen textbook because of it.

There are still some mainstream politicians here (including the Vice President) that promote creationism (or refuse to endorse evolution) to appeal more to evangelical constituents, and it's still a part of quite a few Southern private school curricula. I'm not religious myself, but unfortunately I can't tell that to most of my family members without them presumably getting upset.

I didn't know that about Spain. At least the US legal system has a strong commitment to free speech, even if some citizens don't. Decades ago, the Supreme Court of the US declared that creationism being taught publicly was unconstitutional because it promoted a specific religion, but a few states still rally for it. I believe Alabama still makes schools put stickers on textbooks decrying evolution as a 'theory,' which seems to be the main talking point for creationists.

I think controversial opinions would mostly be fine here as long as they're part of civil discussions and don't personally attack members. But from what I've seen so far, your posts are very thoughtful and insightful.