My Favorite Sissy Spacek Performances

Tools    

I always thought she was some sort of force against nature because she looked 17 years old for about forty years. When I was finally able to let go of my fascination with the fact that she didn't seem to age, I was able to notice that she is one of the most gifted, most natural, and riveting actresses, who you hardly ever catch "acting." Everything she does is rooted in realism and you accept everything she does onscreen as complete reality. She made her film debut in 1972 and has since amassed a body of work that has earned her six Oscar nominations, one Oscar, seven Golden Globe nominations, two Golden Golden Globes, three Emmy nominations and five BAFTA nominations. And now I would like to present my favorite performances of the charismatic and effervescent Sissy Spacek.

Coal Miner’s Daughter is probably my fave.

Katherine Alman, Katherine

Spacek made an early impression in this made for TV movie, originally aired on ABC, where she plays what is pretty much a fictionalized version of Patty Hearst.

The Brain, The Man with Two Brains

After his marriage to a venemous golddigger (Kathleen Turner) falls flat, A zany brain surgeon (Steve Martin) searches for a new brain to put into his old wife, but falls in love with the brain before the surgery. Spacek provides the voice of the brain.

Jewel, The Old Man and the Gun

Spacek offers one of her classiest performances as a glamorously aging widow who finds herself attracted to a man (Robert Redford) that she has no idea is a career criminal on the run.

Mattie Darrow, Get Low

Spacek plays the only woman in a one horse town who has a civil relationship with an angry old hermit (Robert Duvall).

Tina, Sam and Kate

Spacek plays an aging divorcee who reluctantly begins a relationship with a cantankerous older guy (Dustin Hoffman), while his son begins dating her daughter. The hook of the film is that Spacek and Hoffman's children are played by their real life children, Schuyler Fisk and Jake Hoffman.

Tina, Sam and Kate

Spacek plays an aging divorcee who reluctantly begins a relationship with a cantankerous older guy (Dustin Hoffman), while his son begins dating her daughter. The hook of the film is that Spacek and Hoffman's children are played by their real life children, Schuyler Fisk and Jake Hoffman.
What year is this? Never heard of it, but it sounds good.

Alice Aimes, North Country

Spacek makes the most of a thinly written role as the mother of a coal miner (Charlize Theron) who was raped on the job and is suing the mine.

Mrs. Walters, The Help

Spacek provides some welcome comic relief to this story of a would-be writer (Emma Stone) putting together an expose on the black women during the 50's and 60's who put their own families on the back burner to work as maids for white families.

Carolyn Cassaday, Heart Beat

Spacek offers a vivacious performance as the Beat Generation poet who was torn between fellow poets Neil Cassaday (Nick Nolte) and Jack Kerouac (John Heard).