The MoFo Top Comic Book & Graphic Novel Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

And again, I'll check back into the list when you get to about thirty-five or so.

Enjoy?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I gave Ninja Bugeicho all of its points. Here's my review from The Movie Tab II

Manual of Ninja Arts (Ninja Bugei-cho) (Oshima Nagisa, 1967)
Kamishibai-style historical epic of Japanese ninja, Warlords and peasant rebellion based on a 1950s manga by Sampei Shirato, who began his storytelling career as a Kamishibai man himself, but became famous for his iconic ninja manga Kamui Den. This is something that will require a couple viewings just to get a sense of who's who, since there are a lot of characters and subplots. Furthermore, the style of the film -- which consists of stills of Shirato's art carefully panned or rhythmically sequenced to give a sense of motion and continuity -- is fast-paced and information-heavy both in the images and words. In other words it's not forgiving for subtitle readers. The story and politics are interesting and complicated and there are elements of man-made as well as phantasmagorical horror interlaced with humor, such as when one ninja gets decapitated and his head seemingly continues to laugh and live on for months and months (plus the spooky sequences are all accompanied by theramin sounds). All-in-all it's a pretty enjoyable and unique entry in the action genre and well worth checking out for those interested in comics, ninja-fiction or experimental animation.

Wow, I was expecting Addams Family Values today. Guess someone else must have voted for it! I think I may know who it was.

This certainly wouldn't have happened in the '90s Countdown. What a luxury.

And yet I still need to do this:

From Up on Poppy Hill was number 8 on my list. Kinda surprised no-one else voted for it - it's a great movie.

Personally I think 100 movies is far better than 50. I'm on this site to find movies to watch so the more I find out about the better. A top 50 would just be a list of a bunch of movies I've probably already seen. Whilst that would be valid as a "top" list it would be much less interesting IMO.

Well, by that logic we should post every film, no? We have threads for recommendations, of course--lists are something else. They're ostensibly for quantifying the films we like best as a group. And besides, the lists usually come with a "Those Receiving Votes" addendum afterwards, anyway. So I don't think the mere possibility of discovery is really in keeping with the idea, nor is it necessarily hurt at all by the size of the list, provided the organizer makes them all available (which they usually do).

From Up On Poppy Hill is a great film! I didn't know it was based on a Manga.

I kind of agree with Holden that a top 50 list would have been more effective for this particular project, though. I'll follow and comment on this list regardless, but I think he has a point.

Well, by that logic we should post every film, no? We have threads for recommendations, of course--lists are something else. They're ostensibly for quantifying the films we like best as a group. And besides, the lists usually come with a "Those Receiving Votes" addendum afterwards, anyway. So I don't think the mere possibility of discovery is really in keeping with the idea, nor is it necessarily hurt at all by the size of the list, provided the organizer makes them all available (which they usually do).
Well, no, my comments were in reference to a discussion about 50 vs 100 and I gave reasons for a preference. If the discussion was about 100 vs all the movies I would have commented accordingly.

Yeah I'll be posting up the 55 that didn't make it at the very end so everyone can see the rest...

After all the wrestling I did with my thoughts this was the reckoning I had:

I just felt losing over 70% of the entries by doing a Top 50, would have made the list a bit short and a bit anti-climax, especially after the 6 month build-up...

Ok, the bottom of the list is made up of films with only one or two voters... but for all the input that was put into the list, not just from me organising it, but from the 35 who submitted lists, I wanted to showcase a nice broad range of choices and a broader range than just going for the Top 50 picks, which I think everyone probably knows what they'll be already, you just don't know the order...

The bottom end of the list will keep it fresh and surprising, maybe open a few eyes to new films as well, before we get to the cream of the crop and the order they're in.

That was my thinking for going with the 100 anyways...

100 is a nice round solid number and many of the other lists have been Top 100s, so I went with the magic number

Well, no, my comments were in reference to a discussion about 50 vs 100 and I gave reasons for a preference. If the discussion was about 100 vs all the movies I would have commented accordingly.
I guess I don't see the distinction. If you want the list to be longer because you want to hear about more films I'm not sure why that reasoning would arbitrarily stop at 100.

It is also, I should add, the reason I went for revealing 4 per day all the way down to the Top 20... it gets the lower end of the list shown, yet doesn't take up too much time.

Kind of a hypocritical thing with everything I said about including the 1 & 2 vote films, but I kinda expected people to mention including them. So I am thinking about you guys on both sides

Don't fret too much though guys, spoiler alert... Sunday is the day the Top 80 begins and will be the day it starts getting really interesting...

I guess I don't see the distinction. If you want the list to be longer because you want to hear about more films I'm not sure why that reasoning would arbitrarily stop at 100.
I'm not understanding. Lists around here seem to be 100. Surely making this one 50 would be more arbitrary? I posted a preference with a reason for keeping it the standard length.

I just felt losing over 70% of the entries by doing a Top 50, would have made the list a bit short and a bit anti-climax, especially after the 6 month build-up...
I don't think the build-up matters too much; I think that was one of the best decisions you made! Better to wait a bit longer and have a better list than finish with too few votes and get a lot of random movies very few people voted for. It was a great call. Expanding the list, though, has exactly the opposite effect.

Obviously, 50 is smaller, but then, so is the pool of available films--dramatically so. Probably a lot more than half, even. The AFI's list of musicals is only 25, for precisely the same reason. I don't find a list of 50 less grand. Kinda more, actually, since the level of quality in each entry should be very high.

Anyway, it's certainly your list and like everyone else I'm grateful for the work you've put into it. Just throwing in my opinion. These things are spontaneously organized and managed so there's been trial and error through the whole process; no shame in us all collectively learning how to make them better and more fun as time goes on.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Good job Rodent. Well done.
Azumi was on my list.

Snap! Me and you voted for Azumi. Quality film.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Who the hell put Superman Returns in here. Put your hand up.

I bet you voted for that steaming pile of turd that was Man of Steel didn't you? It will be a disgrace if MOS shows up, A DISGRACE!!

and no I didn't vote for Returns but it is probably just got enough to merit a place on the list.