Foreign / Independent Film - Your Take?

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
So, I've been wandering around my place and from time to time a movie will pop into my head lately and more often than not what sticks there for me to think and ponder about is a foreign or independent film. I looked up each in the threads to get a sense of whether these are discussed much, and it doesn't seem so, hence the new thread.

Do you totally pass over selections in the video store or with online rentals? Whether yes/no, Why?

Have you noticed your local video store carrying a lot more of these films than they used to?

Do you watch these movies as often as you watch films from your own country (ie, if you live in Australia, are you usually watching/renting Aussie and UK films and you rarely watch US films, or you watch US films as often as anything else)?

Do you feel particularly into foreign or independent films, and if so, what are you looking for in/from them? Do you prefer a particular director, country, actor, style, or subject matter?

Starting off with those ... add your own!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I watch a very good deal of foreign and independent family, mostly Asian, much more so than the average viewer. It pains me to say it, but yes most American's are willfully ignorant to foreign film (not as much indie these days). I guess because I watch so much of it, I assumed other people at least partook in it once in a while, but you'd be surprised.

I was stunned to the point of speechlessness last year when at the end of a semester a teacher decided to show Cinema Paradiso during one of the last classes (a class on society and aging) and she asked before showing it, "How many people have seen a movie with subtitles before?" I thought she had to be kidding with such a laughable question and I was floored by a room of 30 or so people with only a handful (I'm talking 6 or 7) hands up. That's criminal.

I think it all boils down to acculturation and your family upbringing. If you're born into a family that is very culturally aware, you're far more likely to be so yourself and partake in those venues as well. If you grow up in a family that never, ever watches anything that isn't mainstream American, you're never introduced to the fruits of the world. While I think ignorance does play a good deal into it initially, I think that person's lack of exposure will gestate into an active dis-interest in foreign film and media - not that they feel it is bad or unworthy of their attention, they've just never been given any reason to bother.

And the American media and studio system doesn't help at all. Rarely does something get a wide release and extensive marketing if it has subtitles. It kills the deal for people. Reading subtitles is almost too natural for me now, I never ever think about it, but to some people that is a complete deal breaker. You'd be stunned at how many people of our generation are universally resistant to subtitles. It honestly never popped into my mind that this would be a problem, but a good deal of our cohort just doesn't give a damn.

As for discussion of foreign/indie film on MoFo. It is certainly around, just not in any specifically identified threads. I fill my own review thread with only indepedent and foreign film as does Adidasss.

yeah, I saw the review threads but was going less for what you think about particular films and more about what you think about "non-mainstream" film in general, and why, and whether you watch it or not (and why).

I watch a very good deal of foreign and independent family, mostly Asian, much more so than the average viewer.
Me, too. Is there a particular reason you watch more Asian films than European?

It pains me to say it, but yes most American's are willfully ignorant to foreign film (not as much indie these days). I guess because I watch so much of it, I assumed other people at least partook in it once in a while, but you'd be surprised.
Alas, you are right. Indie is accepted, but mostly American indie, right? It got popular, and things like Sundance helped. Now there's the IFC, etc.

I was stunned to the point of speechlessness last year when at the end of a semester a teacher decided to show Cinema Paradiso during one of the last classes (a class on society and aging) and she asked before showing it, "How many people have seen a movie with subtitles before?" I thought she had to be kidding with such a laughable question and I was floored by a room of 30 or so people with only a handful (I'm talking 6 or 7) hands up. That's criminal.
This is the standard in our schools (pre-college). Our schools often show movies to "supplement" the education you're getting, but the films they show are often:

1) to kill time so it's whatever the teacher agrees to but it doesn't teach you anything related to the course (ie, the teacher is not teaching)
2) may supplement the lessons but are from a very narrow selection that almost never changes. So, you'd watch "To Kill A Mockingbird" in English class, which is a classic, but, are you ever going to watch "Wilde"?

I think it all boils down to acculturation and your family upbringing. If you're born into a family that is very culturally aware, you're far more likely to be so yourself and partake in those venues as well. If you grow up in a family that never, ever watches anything that isn't mainstream American, you're never introduced to the fruits of the world.
I sorta agree. Do you think the parents have to actively show you foreign films of quality for you to appreciate foreign or independent film?

With myself as an example - I grew up overseas in a strongly multicultural environment where American films arrived 3-6 months after the American release date. Naturally, I didn't see American films - it just didn't occur to me. It also didn't really occur to me to actively pursue seeing movies at the theater in general, because many films shown weren't in my language, but they were languages like Tamil, Hindi, and Mandarin.

The only films my dad ever watched in a foreign language are what he called "chop chop" movies. Jackie Chan kinda stuff, only back then it was Chow Yun Fat and Shaw Bros productions. He certainly had no interest at all in watching anything beyond that, and the only movies outside of those we watched were bootleg American movies.

So I agree that if you don't grow up in an atmosphere that embraces culture/other films, you won't even consider them. But I did consider them, I just didn't have an interest in them.

But speaking to your subtitles point - back then, I was scared of them. It's not like I didn't know how to read, I just felt like the film was intimidating in addition because it had subtitles. Also sometimes the subtitles were poorly done (keep in mind, these were other culture's films, like big Indian musical film productions), or nonexistent.

While I think ignorance does play a good deal into it initially, I think that person's lack of exposure will gestate into an active dis-interest in foreign film and media - not that they feel it is bad or unworthy of their attention, they've just never been given any reason to bother.
I think lack of awareness leads to "active disinterest" but I think it also leads to "active avoidance." There's a difference, in that if it doesn't occur to you to try a new food, you'll be like, "No, thanks," when someone offers it to you.

But if you've tried it (or not), and someone offers it, many will go "Hell, no, and this is why ..." And basically get into how they hate watching those kinds of flicks and the subtitles bug them or they just can't relate or the directors are so fufu and full of themselves, or boring, or they just don't understand what these other film styles are ... etc. It's like, a whole genre they're dissing, and they do not understand that "not being made in the USA" does not group you into one type or quality of film. There are sh|tty films and good films, just like in the USA. Big budget and low budget, period pieces and action pieces, romances and comedies ... it's as broken out beyond the US as it is IN the US.

And the American media and studio system doesn't help at all. Rarely does something get a wide release and extensive marketing if it has subtitles. It kills the deal for people. Reading subtitles is almost too natural for me now, I never ever think about it, but to some people that is a complete deal breaker. You'd be stunned at how many people of our generation are universally resistant to subtitles. It honestly never popped into my mind that this would be a problem, but a good deal of our cohort just doesn't give a damn.
My best friend as an example - I slowly introduced her to foreign film, and now she very often will prefer it to American film. I think I finally won her over with "Dirty, Pretty Things" and now she'll ping me with info on Asian flicks coming out, actively trying to find new ones that interest her. But, she still resists subtitles wherever she can unless the movie seems so interesting and there's no other option but to watch in the original language.

Is it ignorance, or is it laziness? She would actually prefer to see it dubbed, which freaks me out.

This anti-subtitle thing makes me sad. Over time I realized that while subtitles can be intimidating and distracting, if you watch films with them enough it becomes as second nature as watching a movie and ignoring the breathing of the person sitting next to you. We just do it. You get over it. You can't help it if the translations are off, or if they appear out of sync, but when they're on, they're fine.

No dubbing means you hear the nuance of language used, inflections, and see the "real animal in its habitat." It's not hidden or Americanized. You see the source material, as the creators intended, the true spirit and heart of the film without filtering or watering down.

i really shouldn't respond to these kinds of questions/threads, i just get sarcastic and nasty....i'll never understand the differentiation between "domestic" and " foreign" film....i never in my life made that distinction, perhapse because i have always watched films with subtitles so it made little difference if the movie was in english or in chinese. i think for any proper movie fan, that is a non question, anyone that has a problem with subtitles is no movie fan as far as i'm concerned. it's a fact of life that the most meaningful and powerful films are not produced in Hollywood for years now, Europe and Asia have taken over in that respect ( ok, mexico too ), and i couldn't be happier....of course, this doesn't have to mean anything, if you like meaningless and trivial films, then yes, Hollywood is still your best shot at securing an hour and a half of mindless entertainment. i look for something else in my films selection.

OG- i strongly disagree that upbringing relates to an individuals viewing of foriegn film. My family watch NO foreign films and refuse to watch anything with subtitles, as such, i had no foreign film in take yet i'd say i was a big fan of foreign film.

Subtitles are something audiences need to be weened onto, I think. It's almost a talent to acquire, being able to watch, read and combine simultaneously. I too had the shock that less then 10% of my college class had watched a subtitled film but once they were introduced to it, some warmed, others didn't.

The majority of audiences are perfectly satisfied with the Hollywood films, they provide everything they need so have no reason to actively pursue alternate films. Considering Hollywood IS the National Cinema of where the box-office is made, America has no incentive to show foreign films. The small art house cinemas that do show foreign films come with connotations of high class for snobs and a complete contrast to the 'fun' multi-plex cinemas so I think the main cinema viewing public are hesistant to go and think about a film over enjoy a film.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Me, too. Is there a particular reason you watch more Asian films than European?
Stylistically, I find Asian films to be incredibly refreshing. In addition, their culture(s) provide for what I think are more interesting stories. Not that European fare isn't capable of doing the same, they're still largely Westernized in story, style and culture. Plus, I just have access to more Asian films than European...

I sorta agree. Do you think the parents have to actively show you foreign films of quality for you to appreciate foreign or independent film?
I don't think they have to actively show you such films in order for you to appreciate them, I think just the simple acknowledgement that the films are out there gets the job done.

I refuse to watch any live-action film dubbed, however I will watch anime dubbed if the studio has taken the steps to commission qualified and appropriate voice talent (read, Studio Ghibli et al). It still loses the nuance of how it was originally concieved, but given the nature of animation I think great voice talent and accompaning audio work can still be great.

OG- i strongly disagree that upbringing relates to an individuals viewing of foriegn film. My family watch NO foreign films and refuse to watch anything with subtitles, as such, i had no foreign film in take yet i'd say i was a big fan of foreign film.
I'm not saying that it is impossible for someone who didn't grow up watching foreign films to really love 'em, but I still think how they're viewed when you're young makes a huge difference. I didn't actually watch any subtitled films as a child, or foreign films in general, however it was obvious that my family was tolerable of these movies. We sure weren't watching them each night, but the lack of any opposition to them carries on into adult-hood. So, when the opportunity arises, they've got an open mind. Someone who grew up in an environment that was very domestically oriented is a lot less likely to even have the weakest of interest in something non-mainstream.

Maybe the climate in America is just different, but pride here is scarily influential and the amount of people who only care about what they think is American (despite the fact that 90% of the things they interact with throughout their day isn't American) is depressing.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by OG-
I watch a very good deal of foreign and independent family, mostly Asian, much more so than the average viewer. It pains me to say it, but yes most American's are willfully ignorant to foreign film (not as much indie these days). I guess because I watch so much of it, I assumed other people at least partook in it once in a while, but you'd be surprised.

I think it all boils down to acculturation and your family upbringing. If you're born into a family that is very culturally aware, you're far more likely to be so yourself and partake in those venues as well. If you grow up in a family that never, ever watches anything that isn't mainstream American, you're never introduced to the fruits of the world. While I think ignorance does play a good deal into it initially, I think that person's lack of exposure will gestate into an active dis-interest in foreign film and media - not that they feel it is bad or unworthy of their attention, they've just never been given any reason to bother.

As for discussion of foreign/indie film on MoFo. It is certainly around, just not in any specifically identified threads. I fill my own review thread with only indepedent and foreign film as does Adidasss.
What you are saying about subtitles applies to the UK. Sadly, the same thing applies to black and white movies to many, many people.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

I like good movies. Where it's made is irrelevant. as an Australian I Loath Crap Aussie films. I don't mind dramas in sub titles but action flicks are too fast to be reading

I think too much film school warped my mind- because some movies i look at, and think; "This really should be a black and white flick." No problem for me there. And subtitles- such a shame for some people. A 'No Subtitles' rule means 'No Melville.' and that, my friends, is criminal.

How lovely a thought- if country of origin became irrelevant. If people started marketing films by genre and plot- instead of what language they were in or what country they come from. Until we are all speaking a universal 'Earthese', i dont think there is a solution to this problem. The deprived will remain deprived, and those of us who dont mind staying awake during movies, (and thats all subtitles really requires. Its not like your reading a novel, folks.) will be enriched.

Put me in your pocket...
Do you totally pass over selections in the video store or with online rentals? Whether yes/no, Why?
No, I don't usually pass them over....but there are times when I'm in a rush I will. Simply because if I'm in a hurry their is usually a movie I already have in mind and will go after that.

Have you noticed your local video store carrying a lot more of these films than they used to?
Yes, my local store is carrying alot more selections of both foreign and independent movies (and even more anime) than they used too.

Do you watch these movies as often as you watch films from your own country (ie, if you live in Australia, are you usually watching/renting Aussie and UK films and you rarely watch US films, or you watch US films as often as anything else)?
No, I watch much more classic b&w american movies and whatever movies the kids are into than anything else. But, I will go through stages and spurts of noticing and renting foreign or an independent movie.

Do you feel particularly into foreign or independent films, and if so, what are you looking for in/from them? Do you prefer a particular director, country, actor, style, or subject matter?
As I said above...I go through spurts...I can't say I'm as 'into' it as other people.

What I'm looking for...is the same as what I look for in any movie. It all depends on what my mood is at that moment. Usually romantic comedy, comedy, drama, action...almost anything that has a good story, is well written and has at least one character I can care about.....except for horror (not my cup of tea in any language).

I don't have a favorite country or director.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by thmilin
My best friend as an example - I slowly introduced her to foreign film, and now she very often will prefer it to American film. I think I finally won her over with "Dirty, Pretty Things" and now she'll ping me with info on Asian flicks coming out, actively trying to find new ones that interest her. But, she still resists subtitles wherever she can unless the movie seems so interesting and there's no other option but to watch in the original language.

Is it ignorance, or is it laziness? She would actually prefer to see it dubbed, which freaks me out.
My husband and best friend don't like sub-titles either. I gave my girl friend Life is Beautiful over a year ago trying to open her mind a little...she still hasn't watched it.

I don't think it's laziness...it's like music or anything else...there's either an interest there or there isn't. My girlfriend jokingly claims to have ADHD and is too impaitient to read the subtitles...my husband either falls asleep or gets antsy and suddely feels like doing something else that interests him. As the old saying goes...you can lead a horse to water...but...

Unfortunately, I have two mules balking the whole way.

Originally Posted by thmilin
No dubbing means you hear the nuance of language used, inflections, and see the "real animal in its habitat." It's not hidden or Americanized. You see the source material, as the creators intended, the true spirit and heart of the film without filtering or watering down.
In live action movies I agree with you.

However, in anime I like both subbed and dubbed. I said this before in an other thread...but their have seen dubs that I've liked better than the dubs and visa versa. And, there have been dubs I've cringed at..and visa versa. There are also a few were I had loved both voice actors in both versions and cringed at in the same anime.

Just a thought, but...I think the dubs of anime can help create an interest in seeing it in subtitles. And, in the long run...this will hopefully help generate interest and help kids/adults be more open to live action subtitled movies.

Originally Posted by Aniko
My husband and best friend don't like sub-titles either. I gave my girl friend Life is Beautiful over a year ago trying to open her mind a little...she still hasn't watched it.

I don't think it's laziness...it's like music or anything else...there's either an interest there or there isn't. My girlfriend jokingly claims to have ADHD and is too impaitient to read the subtitles...my husband either falls asleep or gets antsy and suddely feels like doing something else that interests him. As the old saying goes...you can lead a horse to water...but...

Unfortunately, I have two mules balking the whole way.

In live action movies I agree with you.

However, in anime I like both subbed and dubbed. I said this before in an other thread...but their have seen dubs that I've liked better than the dubs and visa versa. And, there have been dubs I've cringed at..and visa versa. There are also a few were I had loved both voice actors in both versions and cringed at in the same anime.

Just a thought, but...I think the dubs of anime can help create an interest in seeing it in subtitles. And, in the long run...this will hopefully help generate interest and help kids/adults be more open to live action subtitled movies.

thanks for your thoughts, aniko!

i love anime, too, and i think that with anime there's a huge "forgiveness" factor versus live action. basically the artist does not have to get as specific with teeth/lips/facial expressions, the many may nuances. It's more like watching a moving comic, the details aren't 100% but that i made up for with other things you can do with the images that you can't do with live sets/people.

i still prefer to watch anime non-English-dubbed though. this is because most american voiceactors doing anime are not ... i don't know how to explain it without sounding pompous but i'll try - they seem more like B-list actors who were willing/eager to do it, versus A-list actors with true, no-holds-barred acting chops - via their voice alone.

Have you ever watched the reels of the actors in the DVD extras of an anime series? Even scenes of them recording ... it's like, there sometimes isn't very much range, everyone sounds the same and does the same similar set of voices. "Little girl" voice, "evil lady" voice and "everyday female" voice. Everything is a variation on that. I have noticed older men seem to have a stronger range/more skill, but that we rarely see older women to complement that. we get youngish males and females who just don't make the screen seem nearly as alive as when I'm watching the anime in it's original language with its original actors.

I must add to all this talk that I myself am a voiceactor who hopes to do anime one day, so hopefully i can fix this thing i see as broken.

In the Beginning...
I'll almost always check out a film if it's an independent production that was written and directed by the same person.

Besides the fact that these people are keeping my niche warm for me ( yeah right ), I think a writer/director with an independent budget/release generally possesses the capacity to manufacture gold. He/she commands the screenplay and its application, and is usually free from the typical Hollywood constraints: famous director and actors attached to the project to drum up publicity (whether they're right for it or not), a compromise of the story to draw the largest possible audience, and an attention to revenue over resonance.

What I really like seeing these days the larger studios making a little more room for productions which would otherwise have to be released independently. For example, 20th-Century Fox released Sideways, written and directed by Alexander Payne, and it retained the charming "independent" feel. It didn't try to sacrifice the story to cater to an audience, and it didn't try to sell anything in the process. It casted the right actors, even though they weren't superstars. Fantastic, honest, unconstrained film.

You have yet to see my masterpiece
I personelly like indidpendent films I watch this snow on CBC called zed which illustrates inidependent fims, My personel favoriet independ films are Eternal Sunshine of the soptless mind, and MEan Creak. Has anyone say the film elephant that has been on my list of movies to see for a long time. HAs anyone say thank you for smoking that is the next film on my list

Like Mexican food foriegn films taste good but they usually leave me with a bad case of leaky'faucet'rectal'itis which is when your bum begins to spray before touching the seat.

In this order:
Eat
Run to bathroom
Take down clothing
Bend
Spray
Sit
Continue to spray
Finish

I can only assume I crossed a line or two.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

the thing most of my friends don't like aobu tthen is the artse look that they have but i tihnk it make it better

Originally Posted by John_Doe
the thing most of my friends don't like aobu tthen is the artse look that they have but i tihnk it make it better
Best. Post. Ever.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Best. Post. Ever.
thanks I think...

Originally Posted by Yoda
Best. Post. Ever.
you so mean!!

pimp, why on earth did you have to take us through the Fantastic Voyage of your GI tract?

man. i want some refried beans ...

In my opinion, I love foriegn films. I think that each country or place other than/outside of the United States posseses its own special type of film or have distinguishable films.

I think Japan and Asian cinema is the most dominant when people talk about foreign films and how special their film is to that place. Asian cinema has a noticeably different style than American cinema. I also think Asian films are easily distinguishable from American films, and not because of the language or subtitles.

Their films have a different style than America's. But you could probaly say the same about other countries, in that each has a special feature in their films that seperate them from other countrie's films.

Independant films on the other hand, I respect very much. I love watching independant films because they do not fall prey to the Hollywood demand. The director can do whatever he/she wants when main stream films have to pass through "Hollywood" first. In other words, independant films do not have to make sure they will gross enough money to please the public, as current mainstream cinema does have to make sure. An overly-large portion of main stream/non-independant cinema is now made only for money and grossing purposes, instead of being made for the raw passion of film making that it once was.

Independant films are such a far-cry and relief from Hollywood films. As American cinema is slowly losing its passionate flame and its true meaning of what it represents, independant films still hang on to what was once a trademark of America.