Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Goodfellas -

Taxi Driver -

Both of you get plus rep anyways.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I watched Troy (2004). It was better than I had expected.

Overall a good telling of the Trojan war. Yes there are major differences between Homer's Iliad and the movie. But both are fictional retelling of events that happened in the very distant past.

At 2hours 42minutes it's long. There was a few superfluous scenes that could have been cut to move the pace along. At least I didn't watch the director's cut at 3 hours 16 minutes.

I'm not a fan of Brad Pitt but he did a pretty good job as Achilles the Greek hero. Brian Cox as the Greek King Agamemnon, was at times over the top and quite silly. Especially in the all important establishing scene where Agamemnon is introduced on the battlefield. The way he delivered his line about the crows was flippant and whimsical. The rest of the cast was fine.

The music score with a woman 'yodeling' during the battle scenes at the begging and end of the film was distracting. A music score should be felt not heard.

The exterior shots at the beginning of the film was overexposed. Maybe the director wanted to impart a sense of heat and sunlight. But as neither was mentioned or shown, the overexposure looked bad.

On a BIG plus side...I was impresses that the POV was told mainly from the Trojans who you would expect to be portrayed as the bad guys. Also it was a good call not to make Pitt's character the 'hero'. Sure he's a great fighter, but his character isn't admirable, at least in the begining. Instead it's his revival, the Price of Troy, Hector who is shown as the 'good guy' in the movie.

I have to say the sets for Troy with there massive walls was impressive! And from what I read they were not CG, but actually constructed sets. The interior palace of Troy was interesting too, so kudos to the art director.

Overall a much better film than I would have thought.

Friendly Persuasion (1956)

It's about a family of religious Quakers during the Civil War, and the dilemma of using violence out of necessity. This movie has a lot of good qualities and great scenes; I think I could get even more out of it with additional viewings. I wonder if the great 80's movie, Witness, was inspired by this at all, especially the carnival scene. It also features the greatest performance in film history by a goose. I would definitely recommend it.

Well, following Citizen Rules' good review of Troy, I'll follow with a review of another epic film featuring Orlando Bloom (not that he's what makes either film great or detracts from it...just saying):

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

This image above is one of the many reasons I enjoyed this film a great deal. I had been wanting to see it for a long time, and to my surprise found my wife had watched it in parts on cable and was intrigued by it. She usually doesn't like the "hack and butcher" type of gladiator/epic movies that I love, so I jumped at the chance and bought the director's cut on Blu-Ray and was not disappointed.

For those who don't know, this is just one of the stories about one of the many Crusades during the 12th Century. This involves a blacksmith who is intrigued by passing soldiers enough to join their cause in Jerusalem. There is an uneasy peace between the Christians and the Muslims (most of the Christians in this film are represented by the French), which is threatened by two bad guys, played with oozing evil by the great-at-being bad Brendan Gleeson and the equally scummy Marton Csokas. Holding them in check as long as he can is the peaceful but firm King Baldwin (Edward Norton, hiding his face in a mask to hide the character's leprosy but still giving a good performance). The luscious Eva Green (see pic above) is Baldwin's sister and mother of his nephew who will one day take his place, if all goes according to plan.

Being a Ridley Scott film, he knows how to handle epic battles and bloodletting and beautiful vistas. The actors in the film are all uniformly fine and there are many besides the ones I've already mentioned. They include: Michael Sheen, David Thewlis, Liam Neeson, Kevin McKidd, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Iain Glen (the last two from Game of Thrones), Alexander Siddig (again, Game of Thrones and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Jeremy Irons, and veteran actor Jon Finch. Not the least of the actors is this guy, Ghassan Massoud, who plays the Kurdish military leader Saladin, who leads the attack on Jerusalem. Once you see him, he is hard to take your eyes off of:

I will not argue the accuracy of the film or its politics, but just say that the film held me for its three-hour-plus running time and I'm gladly looking forward to another viewing soon. Masterfully made by one of the great directors, I highly recommend it.

Thanks dadumblah for the kinds words. Your review intrigued me so I just requested Kingdom of Heaven. I like a good historical epic and Ridley Scott should know how to make it good.

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

The Dustin Hoffman marathon continues...

Hoffman plays Rizzo, a small-time New York City street hustler with a serious illness who cons the new cowboy-in-town Joe Buck, played by Jon Voight, before they both hit it off as business partners, roommates, and friends. Rizzo and Joe each are pursuing the American dream in their own sad twisted way. Joe has a dream of becoming a male prostitute for very wealthy uptown middle aged women. Rizzo has a dream of leaving the slum he lives in and moving to Miami.

The movie's plot is simple, but the dialogue, soundtrack (featuring the classic Harry Nilsson song Everybody's Talkin'), and brilliant performances by its two leading stars makes Midnight Cowboy a powerfully gripping film from start to finish.

Unregistered User

Perfect Blue (1997)

Superb animated psychological horror from Japan.

The Exterminating Angel (1962)

I really should be watching more Bunuel, i loved this. Hopefully will get a review put up shortly.

High Society (1956)

The Avengers

Just as good as I remember. Can't wait for Avengers 2.

9/10

Damn good movie.

I just watched this today and it is such a powerhouse of a film. Great performances throughout and a great cast. The story is really interesting. A murder happens, and you really have no idea who did it until the very end. It keeps you guessing and intrigued throughout the film. The story really throws you for a loop at times, and you want to know where it's going.

Sean Penn is pretty good in this movie. At first he was a little much but he calms down and does a better job as the film goes on.

Tim Robbins is fantastic in this film. You can see in his eyes that something happened to him that has changed him. He really plays the character well and you want to know more about him.

The women in this movie are great. Laura Linney does a great job playing a wife who needs to stay strong for her family. And Marcia Gay Harden does a great job playing the nervous and frightened wife who is unsure of herself. I just wish that the women in the film would have had more time on screen and more development.

The camerawork in this film rather annoyed me actually. It always had that zoomed-in look and panned back and forth a little too much for me. The lighting was ok for the most part and at times it really helps with the mood of the story.

Mystic River has a great intriguing story with amazing performances all around. I really enjoyed it and thought it was well worth watching. I had a few problems with the camerawork and I think the female characters should have had more screen time and development, but other than that it was a great movie.

Fire walk with me.

Coffy -

Objectivization of women (every girl is just a mannequin with breasts and serves men) and black people (all of them are gangsters, pushers and killers). I don't even think Pam Grier is hot and I find her naked act in this film immoral.

Nah, I'm f*ckin' with you!

Coffy -

Can't argue with her, I guess. I'll be lookin' for Foxy Brown now.

PS: King George song was absolutely fabulous

In all honesty and seriousness now, I don't find her that attractive. I mean, she's a looker, but I don't fancy black girls that much. Yeah, she's hot, but I wouldn't call her a knock-out. It's probably that afro. She was so much hotter in Jackie Brown (although too old for me). I mean, that outfit:

I hope that she has her hair straight in Foxy Brown as well.

I didn't buy it. Pam is too hot for that. Glad you liked it Minio.
Pam Grier fan? Taxi Driver your favorite movie (also in his top 3)? How are you not a Tarantino fan?