Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Cary Grant fans also need to watch Bringing Up Baby, To Catch a Thief, Monkey Business, and Charade

I've seen them all. I think my favorite of those four movies is "Charade", but it's a tough choice because they're all great movies.

Another great Cary Grant movie is "The Philadelphia Story", and it has Jimmy Stewart and Katherine Hepburn too.

Now that I think of it, I don't think that Cary Grant has ever made a bad movie.

I've seen them all. I think my favorite of those four movies is "Charade", but it's a tough choice because they're all great movies.

Another great Cary Grant movie is "The Philadelphia Story", and it has Jimmy Stewart and Katherine Hepburn too.

Now that I think of it, I don't think that Cary Grant has ever made a bad movie.
Oh now The Philadelphia Story I adore!

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Considered the numbers of films mentioned already, we have a lot of Cary Grant lovers. My personal favorite of his is Only Angels Have Wings, for reasons that I can't understand the film has remained vividly and powerfully in my mind.

I liked all those Cary Grant films that you guys mentioned. I'm not the biggest fan of Charade and I do like Audrey Hepburn in almost everything I've seen her in too.

What makes Cary Grant so cool, is his self-deprecating style of humor, he can pull it off with his suave demeanor. I've used that self-deprecating humor in real life and it goes over pretty well too, though it would work better if I was move suave and less a slob.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Considered the numbers of films mentioned already, we have a lot of Cary Grant lovers. My personal favorite of his is Only Angels Have Wings, for reasons that I can't understand the film has remained vividly and powerfully in my mind.
Hawks and his macho men facing death.

Only Angels Have Wings, indeed one of my favorites too and a totally different on screen persona for Grant. He is much more surly....and hey! it introduces Mrs. Orson Welles!I've seen People Will Talk, a very remarkably candid film about a young women's pregnancy and dealing with suicide. I was surprised it was even allowed to be made back in 1951. A good film that gets the viewer emotionally involved.

I watched His Girl Friday last summer and I feel as though I still have a headache from it. Not because it's bad though.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

Until this film, I had only seen the silent Lon Chaney version, which I thought was great. But now, I have to give the edge to this version. There's a great cast, which features Charles Laughton, Maureen O'Hara, Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Edmund O'Brien, Thomas Mitchell, and George Zucco, all greats of their time. Laughton plays Quasimodo, the hunchback of the title, Hardwicke is his adopted caretaker, who has turned devious since clapping eyes on the gypsy girl Esmeralda, played by O'Hara. She is luminous here, simply stunning, and makes almost every man who sees her love her instantly, not the least of which is Quasimodo. I was stunned to see the youthful O'Brien as the young street performer who falls for O'Hara. I've only seen him in movies where he was at least middle-aged and it took me a bit to realize it was him I was seeing despite knowing he was in the cast. Thomas Mitchell, I'm sure most of you will remember as Uncle Billy in It's a Wonderful Life. He's the leader of the literal underground people, who live in hideouts beneath Paris and defy the law who treat them as scum. Zucco is fine in a small part as his usual sinister type, playing a lawyer who partakes in a trial against the innocent Esmeralda.

But the real goods belong to Laughton. I've seen him usually playing a stoic, stand-up type of role, but here, he really lets himself go, giving in to all emotions as he is humiliated, whipped, laughed at, ignored, etc. all for his deformed looks, and his deafness, caused by being the bell-ringer of Notre Dame. Lest anyone think different, this is not a horror film. This is tale of the haves against the have-nots, the innocent triumphing over the evil, with Laughton leading the way. He is a wonder in his make-up, his usual personality barely recognizable, feeling a love that is not to be for Esmeralda, joyously ringing all the bells in the cathedral by hand or foot, pouring lead on bad guys and good guys alike at the steps of the church. Just a great, great film. I must have this one on DVD.

Because it's made by Howard Hawks

Seconds (1966)

It is challenging, disturbing and creepy. It is however, a work of art. . I'd gladly recommend it to anybody...
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

The Lego Movie

So very enjoyable. I'm hoping they make another. Visually it's pretty amazing.

8/10

The Wrestler

Being a huge wrestling fan this was right up my alley. Rourke is superb and this is an underrated classic.

8.5/10