Lets Talk Football

Tools    

I did that towards the end of the season, too, Tacitus, and I still have 3 podcasts of The Times to listen to.

Tevez is going to Juve for £12m, medical pending. Actually, some of the papers did flag this up last week, but only as an afterthought after spending the rest of the piece saying how he would probably be going to Milan.

Yesterday they had United ready to pay £50m for Cavani, while today they say Chelsea won't pay more than £40m. With the exception of Real or City, is anyone really going to pay this sum for him?

In more yesterday/today news, Arsenal have gone from being ready to offer £2.5m for Benjamin Mendy, but may be forced to double the offer, to today, where they're ready to make a bid for the "£5m rated Le Harve full back."

And, continuing with the theme, yesterday Shakhtar's Henrikh Mkhitaryan rubbished rumours he's going to Liverpool, while, today, he's not shown up for pre-season training and is "frustrated" at not being allowed to move. Y'know, it's almost as if they're making it up day by day, isn't it?

Moyes will try and talk Rooney into staying, but, if Rooney leaves, his prefered destination is Barcelona. Yeah, so's mine. Of course, yesterday Barcelona 'joined the race' for Rooney.

A quick bit yesterday about saying Gareth Bale "will tug on the heart strings of Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy" to get his move to Real. Sory, his "dream move"? I really don't see Bale leaving until next summer. Unless Ronaldo leaves Real, of course. Which I'm pretty sure he won't be. This summer.

OK, I'm bored with the yesterday/today stuff, so just a few quick rumours from today.

Suarez has agreed personal terms with Real and they're confident they can get him for less than his £40m buy-out clause. BTW, when did Suarez have a buy-out clause? Is this new BS or did I miss something?

Now that Ancelotti is at Real, Laurent Blanc is now at PSG, too, they say Higuain will soon be off. Arsenal and Juve seem to be the two big rumours. I know they're sewing up this deal with Tevez, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Juve take him as well. There's also a rumour that Ancelotti wants Paulinho, too.

Everton are looking at Keisuke Honda, increasing speculation (or maybe because of it) that Fellaini will be off.

Oh, and Cruyff thinks Barca should think about selling Messi now they've bought Neymar. He also says he wouldn't have bought Neymar if he had Messi.

Suarez has agreed personal terms with Real and they're confident they can get him for less than his £40m buy-out clause. BTW, when did Suarez have a buy-out clause? Is this new BS or did I miss something?
Number one rule of transfer windows: If a player is being linked with a move away, he suddenly gains a transfer release clause at about his value

Yep, that's about the size of it.

BTW, talking of having a laugh, the DM website is currently saying that Ronaldo will talk to United IN NEXT THREE DAYS. Everyone make a note on your calendars.

^^Maybe he just popped in to say "hello"?^^

Yaya Sanogo has joined Arsenal. This had been rumoured for months and, with him being a free agent, French, of African descent and 20 years old, what other club could he join? Seriously. I think it's become part of EU law of something. On the plus side, if he turns out to be half the player he becomes on FM'10, Arsenal fans will be in dreamland.

Paulinho's on his way to Spurs for £17m. Last week all the talk was of this deal happening because Paulinho had been given assurances that Bale was staying. Of course, I think most of us think Bale is/was staying this summer anyway, so that's neither here nor there.

On the gossip side, Spurs will offer £17m for Roberto Soldado.

Lescot will leave City unless he's going to start.

Sunderland are looking at Tom Huddlestone, priced at £5m.

Palace have contacted Liverpool about a season long loan for Jonjo Shelvey. Last week, some bookies stopped taking bets on him moving to Swansea, after moving his odds from 14/1 to 1/8. So, if someone knew something, either this isn't happening or it all went wrong.

Bendtner could leave Arsenal this week, with Eintracht Frankfurt being his destination. Seems a bit of a lowly club for the best player in the world.

Here's a rumour I'd love to see come true, West Brom are looking into bringing Nicolas Anelka to the club, as he's now a free agent. I've also read they're going to ask Chelsea about Ba. Were it not for Steve Clarke's connection with Chelsea, I'd write this off as the tabloids doing their usual 2+2 stuff.

Of course, it could also be strengthened if/when Chelsea bring in a new striker. Two rumours about Chelsea and strikers as they're looking to offer Fernando Torres to Milan in exchange for El Shaarawy. I'm assuming they're also offering cash, too, but there's no mention of it. They did, according to The Independent, offer Napoli Torres and 50m Euros (£42.8m) for Cavani.

Moyes will bid £16m for Leighton Baines and will triple Thiago Alcantara's wages if he comes to United.

I am the Watcher in the Night
What's up with the massive spending Arsenal were going to do this transfer window? Where are the top, world class players? My patience with Mr Wenger is running out.

On the other hand Spurs have a gem in Paulinho but the biggest transfer news has to be Neymar at Barca....now we have to see if he can survive alongside Messi or will we have Villa 2.0?

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

and did anyone see the confederations cup final? what do you guys read into it, if anything? Have Brazil found themselves again? Was Spain having a bad game?

I only saw the second half, but there's no doubt that Spain were really off the pace. Tired and two goals down, having seen them go to penalties against Italy, I couldn't see them coming out and being able to do anything about it. The third goal, so soon after the restart, just killed it. You don't see Ramos miss many penalties, but he didn't look his usual, "I've already scored" self before he hit it and I'd assume that was solely down to tiredness. Both emotionally and physically, most of those players looked like they needed a rest. Lastly, they're still playing Torres up front.

Don't get me wrong, Brazil played well and fully deserved it from what I saw. However, had Italy managed to score a couple of their chances in the first half in the Semi's, I don't think you'd have seen Spain come back against them, either.

None of this has made me change my mind about next summer. A S. American team will win and it'll probably be Brazil. Personally, I'd love to see an Argentina v Spain final, just to hear the crowd.

oh man, Argentina v Spain!!!

But I'd love a world cup where Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo all performed exceptionally on the world stage. I miss the years when Zidane, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Figo and co. were ripping it at world level.

Are things starting to get moving?

Chelsea have agreed a price with Vitesse Arnhem for Marco van Ginkel, for around £8m, though his medical and personal terms have yet to be completed.

Jonjo Shelvey has gone to Swansea for around £5m plus add-ons, so it looks as if someone took the bookies to the cleaners. While Cardiff City have paid a club record £7.5m for Andreas Cornelius from FC Copenhagen, who I think is 19. Crystal Palace have paid £6m for Dwight Gayle from Peterborough. And some people wonder why there are so many players from overseas in our leagues. Maybe it has something to do with having to pay £6m for a League One striker? Congrats to the guy, though. Non-League to the Premier League in 4 years.

Alvaro Negredo nows seems to be Man City's top target. Is he as moody as his reputation suggests? Having got shot of Baloltelli and Tevez, there is a gap in the squad for such a player. He seems to be a perfect fit for the Premier League, though so, as long as he gets on with it, I think he could be a great signing.

Atletico Mineiro's coach has said he expects Bernard to leave the club this summer and everyone seems to agree that Higuain is going to Arsenal, though Juve is still mentioned.

John Obi Mikel should be at Galatasaray soon and PSG have 'admitted' that they're interested in Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye.

Sunderland have had an offer for Jozy Altidore rejected and, according to the papers, have been told they'll have to pay £5m. Sunderland have also signed Vito Mannone from Arsenal for £2m/£3m, depending on who you read. Given that Arsenal are the strongest rumoured destination for Julio Cesar, for £2m, that could be the best deal of the summer.

The People's Republic of Clogher
A great deal for l'Arse, presumably. Yeah, a decent (but no more) squad keeper leaving and a class act coming in + cash. I wonder if he'll be allowed to wear the massive shorts he used to sport at Inter? You could fit three whole Steve McManamans down each leg.

We've got a month til KO so things had better start hotting up soon.

Looks like Neville The Younger is joining Moyes as a coach, which will be a good fit for all concerned. Giggs on the staff too? I'd rather have him there than as a pundit.

Jozy Altidore was always a decent player on Football Managers of the past if you coached him right. Then he moved to Hull in the real world - 1 goal in 28 matches according to Wikipedia...

Spanish paper Sport say the Alcantara to United deal is done and he could be unveiled tomorrow. We'll see.

Also more talk about Gerard Deulofeu going to a Premier League club on loan for the season. Everton and Spurs are today's rumoured destinations.

Arune Kone to Newcastle rumours are said to be gaining momentum.

BTW, with the signing of Van Ginkel, football365 listed Chelsea's midfielders:

Michael Essien, Frank Lampard, Ramires, Oriel Romeu, Juan Mata, Oscar, Jon Obi Mikel, Victor Moses, Eden Hazard, Josh McEachran, Gael Kakuta, Lucas Piazon, Kevin De Bruyne, Marco Van Ginkel, Marko Marin, Nathan Ake, Nathaniel Chalobah, Andre Schurrle.

**Edit** - Dinamo Zagreb have confirmed a deal for Tin Jedvaj and Alen Halilovic. No confirmation as to the club, yet, but the club being most strongly rumoured in Croatia is Spurs. A few of quotes.

"We agreed with their future club, that one of them remains at least another year with us," club president Mirko Barisic told Sportske Novosti.

"It is just too early to talk about the club which bought them. We will confirm that when everything will be sorted out.

"The transfer fee? 20 million Euros is - let us put it this way - the right number."

Still not shown up, has he? There's also rumours of Julio Cesar moving to Napoli on a season's loan.

Real has spend big on Asier Illarramend from Real Sociedad. They've matched his release clause, said to be €39m.

Talk of Jovetic to City seems to be that it's nearly a done deal for around £30.

More talk of Arsenal upping their bid for Suarez. I know they wouldn't, and shouldn't, but I love Liverpool to just accept £30m+ from Arsenal and, when Real come with a bigger cheque, just say, "Nah. You're too late now." Sadly, this'll probably go on all summer until the last say, when Liverpool will sell for £35m or something and spend most of it on Darren Bent. Arsenal are, today, being linked with Geoffrey Kondogbia, the 20 year old Sevilla midfielder.

Southampton have spent £12.5m on Victor Wanyama and signed him on a four year deal. Of course, he'll probably be at United/Chelsea for £25m next year after a good season proves he can "do it at this level." BTW, although you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise sometimes, making a profit on a player isn't the main purpose of football, but an £11.6m profit in two seasons in, dare I say it, Scottish football, is a cracking deal. There are years gone by when they'd have 'only' gotten £4m-£5m and thought themselves lucky. Well done, Celtic.

Mark Schwarzer has gone to warm the bench/provide decent competition for Petr Cech at Chelsea.

Jerome Thomas has moved to Crystal Palace on a free. Wigan has transfer to Everton, which is a good trick for a relegated club. They've also picked up one of the new Barca stars, the much sought after Gerard Deulofeu, on a season long loan.

Central defender, Fernando Amorebieta, has rocked up at Fulham on a free.

Marc Muniesa has moved from Barca to Stoke on a free. Barca to Stoke? That's got to be every kind of culture clash imaginable.

Jozy Altidore has moved to Sunderland for £6m. They're also linked with Tom Huddlestone at Spurs and Emanuele Giaccherini from Inter.

It was Swansea who ended up with Wilfried Bony for a fee of £12, while Nicolas Anelka is talking of ending his career with West Brom, who he signed for on a free.

Thomas Ince has decided to stay at Blackpool, despite an £8m fee being agreed between Blackpool and Cardiff.

Liverpool have agreed to the season long loan of Suso to La Liga new boys, Union Deportiva Almeria. There's also talk of Sebastian Coates moving to Fulham.

Over here the papers seem to think a deal for Negredo is in trouble, but Sevilla coach, Unai Emery, has been quoted as saying it would "best for everyone" if he left.

Christian Benteke has made a transfer request at Villa, which has prompted quite a few rumours, including that, should the £25m rumoured fee be met by someone, Villa would like to take Demba Ba. Spurs are said to've offered £20m plus a choice of Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Scott Parker, Jake Livermore or Tom Huddlestone for Benteke.

Not quite sure why City are interested in Negredo? Im sure he is good but they might as well have kept Teves I think hes a year younger as well? Just buying for the hell of it these days. Though reports there interested in Zlatan Interest me as though i am not a City fan i would LOVE to see him in the PL.

Tevez had to move on, really, either because City could do with getting rid or, much more likely, his 'owners'/agents move him every 2-3 years, so as to get another pay off. I think he'd already be at Boca, otherwise. He was talking about going back there after United when he joined United. Since then he's been to City and now Juve.

Also, with Dzeko said to be likely to leave and Tevez already out, that only leaves Sergio Aguero (and John Guidetti, who's more likely to go out on loan again) as City's only recognised strikers. Therefore, a move for Negredo makes sense. As I said before, whether another notoriously moody forward is needed at City is another matter.

More talk of Gary Hooper leaving Celtic, so mid/lower Premier League teams might be squabbling over him soon.

Sometimes I forget its such a business these days. You got to feel sorry for Dzeko I just cant understand how he was not getting the play time he deserved to many players thinking there ****** than the club, Anyway Hooper is a good player I check out the SPL every so often.

Bony to Swansea is a great signing for them also looking forward to how he takes on the PL especially with Swansea playing the way they do...it will be interesting.

Yes, I like Dzeko and whenever I've see him play I don't remember him having a stinker or missing lots of chances. If he doesn't move, though, unless the Zlatan to City rumour happens, then he'll only have Aguero and Negredo (if he does join) to contend with. I say "only", but you know what I mean. So staying another year might be the best choice for him. Besides, I'm guessing he won't get at another club what he's being paid at City, unless he went to one of the really rich clubs.

Bony will be interesting, IMO, simply because he's done so well in the Dutch league and, for some reason, they seem to fail as often as they succeed in the Premier League.

I said Gary Hooper looked like he'd be soon popping up at a mid/lower Premier League club, well, it seems he's aiming lower than that. QPR seem to be the favourites for the striker, as they've made a new bid.

Steve Harper has moved to Hull on a free, while the Bendtner deal seems to be in danger of not happening. Will Arsenal ever be rid of him?

One rumour that did turn out to be true was Emanuele Giaccherini's move to Sunderland. It's only gone and happened. £6.5m from Juventus. How much are they paying him?

Just to let you all know what you already know. Fabregas won't be coming to United. Won't happen.

Another 'big story' that won't happen is Luis Suarez to Real for £10million plus Gonzalo Higuain. It won't happen because, otherwise, I'd assume that Liverpool would've shown Luis what biting someones arm off looks like and the news would read "Suarez to Real for Higuain and £10m" OK, maybe £15m, but probably £10m.

Benteke doesn't want to go back to Villa this week and wants Spurs to make their offer now. According to the papers, anyway. They say Spurs will offer £20m which is £5m short by my calculations.

Cavani has gone to PSG for £55m... Reportedly.

Stuff's happening people.

City, having already gone out and spent £44.9m on two midfielders, they've now gone and spent another £44m on two strikers. Alvaro Negredo, from Sevilla for £20m and Stevan Jovetic, from Fiorentina, for £22m.

Marquinhos is the latest capture for PSG. The defender has moved from Roma for £30.1million.

Sadly Tito Vilanova has had to leave Barcelona to continue with his cancer treatment. Barca say they'll announce their new manager next week. They say the new permanent manager won't be an in-house appointment. Andre Villas-Boas is the name that's appearing, but I think that's just because, a) he was linked with the PSG job, and, b) he's a 'young hot' manager who isn't at one of the 'top clubs'.

Lots of talk about Fabregas to United again, as United have upped their bid to £30m. The noises coming out of Spain are still that he's not for sale and, were he to return to the Premier League, it'd be Arsenal and only Arsenal.

I still don't see it happening, though, the argument that United are only being this public is because they've been encouraged does make sense. United aren't often this public about a player they're trying to sign unless it's all but done and that's the one thing this doesn't seem to be at all.

Danny Graham has moved to Hull on a season long loan.

Pepe Reina is said to be close to a season long move to Napoli, with the option of a permanent move.

Higuain, bitches.
Napoli, bitches.

Sorry.

So, Higuain has gone to Napoli for €40m (£34.5m) on a five year deal. Pepe Reina has joined on a season loan.

Gary Hooper finally managed to get the mid/lower tier Premier League move that was predicted, by moving to Norwich this week. It's an undisclosed sum, but thought to be around the same £5m that QPR had accepted.

There's still talk of a final offer from United for Fabregas. I think the most likely upshot of this will be a shiny new and improved contract for Fabregas at Barca. However, I'd like to be wrong. Apparently Fellaini's buy-out clause ends on the 31st of July, so I'm half expecting a quick deal for him to United if it's going to happen.