Random Thoughts on the 96th Annual Academy Awards

Tools    

Can't believe how close we are to 100 years of Oscar, hope I live to see it. I've been watching since 1968. This year was definitely a mixed bag with a few surprises. First of all, Jimmy Kimmel's opening monologue was TERRIBLE!!!! Worst one he has ever done. He said some very strange things to Robert Downey Jr that I didn't find amusing at all and I don't think Downey did either. The funniest thing he said was when he suggested to Ryan Gosling that they go camping together when their wives are out of town. He also seemed to make a lot of jokes about wanting to make the ceremony as long as he could possible could, I don't know what that was all about. As for the specifics:

BEST ACCEPTANCE SPEECHES: Robert Downey Jr., Cord Jefferson (original screenplay winner for American Fiction), Christopher Nolan, Emma Stone (despite her wardrobe malfunction), Justine Triet

WORST ACCEPTANCE SPEECHES: D'Avine Joy Randolph, Billie Eilish

WORST PRESENTER BANTER: John Mulaney...what was that all about?

MOST MISUNDERSTOOD AND UNNECESSARY COMIC BIT: Jon Cena pretending to be a streaker. i remember the streaker at the '74 ceremony but I didn't understand what connection it had to this ceremony.

BEST PRESENTATION OF NOMINATED SONG: Ryan Gosling and his male chorus doing "I'm Just Ken"...spectacular.

WORST PRESENTATION OF ANNUAL SEGMENT: The "In Memorium" segment was terrible this year. For some reason, it was decided that the focus should be on the singers and dancers, instead of the photographs of the deceased. The shots were so far away from the camera that I had to get up stand right next to the TV to actually see the pictures.

WORST TECH FAUX PAS: When Jimmy Kimmel reminded Randolph that she didn't giver her publicist's name and when the camera went to her so she could do so, she wasn't miked and you couldn't hear anything she said.

BEST DRESSED: Emily Blunt, Lily Gladstone, Zendaya, Cynthia Errivo, Sterling K Brown, Rita Moreno, Greta Lee, Carey Mulligan, Margot Robbie, Cillian Murphy, Emma Stone, Lupita N'Yongo, Jessica Lange, America Ferrera, Anya Taylor-Joy, Justine Triet, Jamie lee Curtis, John Mulaney, John Krasinski

WORST DRESSED- Melissa McCarthy, Ariana Grande, Simu Liu, Colman Domingo, Danielle Brooks, Becky G, Dwayne Johnson, Ryan Gosling, Riz Ahmed

I thought John Mulaney was absolutely hilarious

The Cena "naked" bit was to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the streaker incident.

I thought Da'Vine Joy's speech was good.

Mulaney was hilarious, I'm sorry

The Cena bit was because this year was the 50th anniversary of that 70's streaker. I think Kimmel even said it when he opened the bit.

Why would anyone want to commemorate that? Just asking.
Because it's a moment that made history, and we always have to commemorate historic events.

Also, it was tied to the presentation for best costume design - showing how much movie stars need proper clothing.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Streaking was a fad for about a year, if that, and it's just a chapter of history I'd soon forget and I think it was a waste of time. Not worth wasting time on the Oscars.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Streaking was a fad for about a year, if that, and it's just a chapter of history I'd soon forget and I think it was a waste of time. Not worth wasting time on the Oscars.
Well, it's not about "streaking"; but rather about "streaking at the live Oscars show". But regardless of our personal takes on that, it did make history. It is still brought up regularly among some of the most notable Oscar moments, and even notable TV moments, period. So it makes sense for it to be brought up now that it hits 50.

Streaking was a fad for about a year, if that
Yeah, as Thief said, it's not about streaking in general, it's about a moment that was broadcast live and seen around the world.

Whether you like it or not, that's the kind of moment that people are still talking about 50 years later.