Last Chance...Film Noir HoF V

Tools    

Am I too late? Ride The Pink Horse (1947).
I tell you what, you can join but your nomination won't be required for the other members to watch until after you've watched all the other 5 noir noms, wrote up your thoughts on each film and sent me a ranked voting ballot. But before you decide if you want to join, you need to know the general rules for the HoF as I didn't list them in full this time as the regular members already know them.

This is a link to the general guidelines for HoFs You should also take a look at the 1,2,3 post in that thread and of course the 1st post of this thread if you haven't already done that. Also take a look at the last Noir HoF III to see how we do it, it would help to peruse the pages of that HoF to get the feel for it. New people are always welcomed but often they don't stick around as these HoFs take months, but I hope you do stick around.

Ace in the Hole
(Billy Wilder 1951)

Now that's a shot! Lots of scope in that composition. My favorite scene is of the set constructed, 'Indian' cliff dwellings. They look so real, though they were constructed for the movie. Those dwellings add a lot of character to the story. Not that the movie needed any more character with Kirk Douglas aboard. Douglas is one powerhouse actor. Just watch this, then watch Douglas do a 180 degree turn in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers....and the thing is he's utterly believable in both types of roles, that's impressive.

Count me as big fan of Jan Sterling! I've seen her in a lot of noirs and other films and she always gives it her all. Jan can make any movie just that much better with her being in it. Here she's as cold heartened as Douglas is. I loved the way her and Douglas play off each other.

I've seen this a number of times and last time I reviewed it I gave it a perfect score of 5/5. I'm going to take that down a tad to 4.5/5 as I felt the ending went a little to bombastic. I know that's Wilder's forte but I think instead of ending the film with Douglas full of guilt choking Jan Sterling who then stabs him with scissors...and having him stubble off trying to confess his 'crime' to the newspaper...A better ending would've been that the little mild mannered editor of the Albuquerque Newspaper brings down Kirk Douglas from his throne by telling the world just what foul doings Douglas and the Sheriff concocted in the name of greed. That would've been more potent than the way the film did end.

Haven't seen Breaking Point, Kiss Me Deadly, or Martha Ivers, but the other three are great.

Double Indemnity (1944)

Of the several James M. Cain novels made into noir films (The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce - in order written) Double Indemnity exploded into the movie going consciousness, which both solidified and set the standard in the nascent film noir movement with its use of narrator, femme fatale, chirascuro lighting and set design, and moody tension.

It was directed by the incomparable Billy Wilder, its screenplay by by himself and Raymond Chandler, and was memorably photographed by Joh Seitz The perfect casting starred Fred MacMurray as Walter Neff, Barbara Stanwyck as Phyllis Dietrichson, and Edward G. Robinson as Barton Keyes.

Wilder stepped into what would become a famous mainline style purely from the desire for artistic exposition, and to make a good film. His famous quote: “I never heard that expression film noir when I made Double Indemnity ... I just made pictures I would have liked to see. When I was lucky, it coincided with the taste of the audience. With Double Indemnity, I was lucky.”

Most fans know the story: an insurance salesman mentored by a tough, moralistic, wily claims examiner falls for an enticing woman who later enlists him for a murder plot of her husband in order to collect the life insurance benefit from the company who employs both the salesman and the mentor. “Double Indemnity” refers to a clause is some life insurance policy that results in double payment as the result of an accidental death. Many characterize the story as one of a scheming
femme fatale who uses her lover’s emotions against him in order to bring off the crime. And that’s true in part. But the real story is how the salesman tries to outwit his long time mentor, and to pull off the crime while fooling his hero. It’s as much a cat & mouse game as it is a doomed love story-- two men bound together in an intrigue, with only one of them knowing the truth until the end. Curiously the audience is inclined to sympathize with Neff, which is interesting given the matrix of mid-’40s morality.

MacMurray and Stanwyck had worked together 4 years earlier in
Remember the Night, a romantic comedy. And now each was the highest paid actor in Hollywood of their respective sexes. Stanwyck didn’t want the role, and had to be coaxed into it, whereas MacMurray --being a light comedy actor-- didn’t believe he could handle the part. He too had to be convinced. Their pairing for DI turned out to be one of the best in film history. And Robinson also wowed audiences with his portrayal. One of his best known scenes was the “method of suicide” monologue, which is one of the most memorable from the era.

Wilder’s direction was masterful, as he reportedly was trying to out-do Alfred Hitchcock in excellence. But it was the pregnant and rough clipped dialogue --chiefly written by the great Raymond Chandler-- that set the mood up on a pedestal, never to be knocked down. Chandler’s hard boiled word interplay was to be a master class in dialogue for future film noir writers. Wilder rewarded Chandler with a cameo, visible 16 minutes into the film, looking up as he sat outside the door of the insurance office reading a newspaper as Neff passed by. That cameo remains as the single instance of Chandler visible on film.

Cinematographer John Seitz brought with him years of experience from a catalogue of fine films to photograph the shadows and set design necessary to this picture. He was to follow it up with other top Wilder films such as
The Lost Weekend and Sunset Boulevard. Also at a high level was Miklos Rozsa’s alluring score. He typically set moods by use of leitmotif musical passages representing the main characters, and also for surreptitious meetings between the two principals.

James M. Cain had written the novel on which the film was based, and many of the studios wanted the rights. But when Paramount finally acquired the rights the Hays office objected that the film was too tawdry, and that MacMurray’s character (Walter Neff) hadn’t received a decisive enough demise. Wilder had initially written and filmed an ending at great expense that showed Neff being executed in the gas chamber while his mentor looked on. But yet that ending was thought to be too gruesome by the censors. On reconsideration Wilder realized that the way Neff’s end was shown in the final cut was perfectly proper, given the nature of the two characters’ relationship, so he omitted the gas chamber ending entirely, and we all can be grateful for Wilder’s decision.

DI is one picture on a small list of films which would be difficult to imagine anything added or subtracted. It’s one of those happy convergences that have occurred over the decades that bring just the right people together at just the right time.
Double Indemnity is not only arguably the finest example of film noir, but is on its own one of the great films.

Ace in the Hole (1951)

Ace in the Hole is not a prime example of film noir, being mostly a straight drama about squalid journalism and a glory seeking reporter, however it does display one of noir’s common themes: a crushing sense of cynicism. Almost from the start we’re presented with an unrelenting portrait of some of the worst traits in human nature: greed, sensationalism, gullibility, and lying.

A newspaperman (Kirk Douglas) has been hired for a meager salary by a small Albuquerque daily after having been fired by most major publications for his underhandedness and temper. Soon a story arises with possible national interest when a local gas station owner gets trapped in a collapsed cave, which causes the newspaperman to scheme a way to build the story and his own involvement and reportage. He even convinces the authorities to alter the rescue method, which promotes a slower pace, allowing the story to be milked to a much wider audience as the carnival atmosphere with the snoopers and looky-loos builds at the site.

Along the way the trapped man’s wife, Lorraine (Jan Sterling), who had already wanted to divorce him before this incident, becomes partly complicit in the newspaperman’s plot due to her new found income provided by hundreds of tourists flocking to the site and spending money at the gas station. But soon their relationship sours as the newspaperman starts to drink, and an altercation occurs which injures the newspaperman and causes him to renounce the whole mess that he has started. The story grinds to an ending in which everyone except the poor sole in the cave seems to get their just desserts.

This is reportedly Billy Wilder’s first film in which he both wrote, produced and directed. His story is his most disdainful and misanthropic of all of his films. He exposes the underbelly of human nature in such a way that one feels the urge to wash one’s hands at the film’s end. The single redeeming let up in the tale is when the newspaperman realizes that he’s gone too far, and seeks redemption. Sadly the portrayal of a gullible public blindly reacting to a sensational news story has not changed much in the intervening 77 years.

Billy Wilder had earlier directed two bona fide noirs: Double Indemnity (1944) and Sunset Boulevard (1950), so his association with the movement likely influences people to consider Ace in the Hole as a noir also. One interesting bit of trivia that caught my attention is that the name of the insurance company involved in this tale, the Pacific All-Risk Insurance Co., is the same fictitious company featured in Double Indemnity.

The trick is not minding
Sweet Smell of Success

“My left hand hasn’t seen my right in years.”
Of course, it’s dialogue like that gives us insight in Hunsecker. A man who is consumed by power and lords it over everyone all from behind a desk where he runs a weekly column.

That column is where he helps people’s careers. Or derails them. As such, he uses this column to get men to do unseemly things for them. People such as Falco, a press agent desperate for some publicity for his clients.*

First he has a task. He’s ordered by Hunsecker to break up a relationship between his sister and a musician. Having failed to do so, Falco finds himself iced out of the clolumn, depriving him of the much needed publicity.

The conversation between them gives us plenty of insight as to their business relationship. It is , as Hunsecker’s sister refers ti it as, one that resembles a trained poodle jumping through hoops for his master.

The dialogue crackles with contempt and sarcasm. There is an implied hatred between them. Hunsecker seems to hate everyone, it seems. Except for his sister. One he has a perversely controlling relationship with. Failing to keep them apart, he turns to framing the musician. This appeals even Falco, who is enticed with control of the column for a brief time while Hunsecker takes time off with his sister.

Great acting, great script and a wonderful morality tale. This is as good as it gets.

Sweet Smell of Success

...Great acting, great script and a wonderful morality tale. This is as good as it gets.
I couldn't agree more, that's why it's my #1 top 10 profile movie. I was impressed on my first watch and when I watch again for this HoF I believe it will be my fourth watch. I'm saving it for a special occasion viewing.

The trick is not minding
I couldn't agree more, that's why it's my #1 top 10 profile movie. I was impressed on my first watch and when I watch again for this HoF I believe it will be my fourth watch. I'm saving it for a special occasion viewing.
I think I’ve watched it about 4 or 5 times in the last two years. The dialogue is amazing to listen to.

The Breaking Point (1950)

John Garfield considered The Breaking Point to be his finest performance...and I agree. I like Garfield as an actor but I haven't always liked his onscreen persona. Sometimes his characters just rub me the wrong way. Often he played the thick-headed, stubborn man with a chip on his shoulder...surly and angry at the world. I read a little about him at Wiki and I gather that might describe John Garfield the man. In the movies his character can work wonders when he's cast right, like in The Postman Always Rings Twice...and in films like The Breaking Point.

Garfield is a married man with two small daughters and a nice devoted wife (Phyllis Thaxter). The family is out of money and struggling to make ends meet. His wife wants him to give up his charter boat and move inland to manage a lettuce farm owned by her father. Captain Harry Morgan (John Garfield) wants no part of farming and final gets desperate enough to use his ship for criminal actives.

"You do everything so hard...No matter what it is, you do it hard." Leona (Patricia Neal) says that to Garfield...Maybe that's why Garfield felt this was his best performance as he was playing close to home. Patricia Neal is good here, though at times her interest in Garfield seems a bit forced. Her actions are necessary to cause Garfield and his wife even more stress in their marriage. There's literally two stories going on here. A noir about a honest man who gets sucked into doing shady business with criminals. And a drama about a happy marriage that goes sour due to the husbands utter stubbornness and his penchant for doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

Really glad this was nominated as this is the only nom I hadn't seen. I did have my eye on it after watching Phyllis Thaxter a few weeks ago in Act of Violence and Women's Prison.

I think I’ve watched it about 4 or 5 times in the last two years. The dialogue is amazing to listen to.
Clifford Odets probably is responsible for most of the written dialogue in Sweet Smell of Success. He penned other noirs but one that I recommend as it has the same dialogue tone and flow is Deadline at Dawn (1946). A solid noir not on the same level as Sweet Smell of Success but still pretty good.

Clifford Odets probably is responsible for most of the written dialogue in Sweet Smell of Success. He penned other noirs but one that I recommend as it has the same dialogue tone and flow is Deadline at Dawn (1946). A solid noir not on the same level as Sweet Smell of Success but still pretty good.
Yeah, Odets was certainly dialogue-centric. There's a hilarious observation about Odets' writing in Clash by Night in Eddie Muller's Dark City: The Lost World of Film Noir: “The actors are all great, but by the tenth self-revelatory Odets monologue you’re itching for somebody to grab a gat and start blasting.”...