Richard Dreyfuss Whatcha Think ?

Tools    

Rock God
i think dreyfuss is very overrated as far as acting goes.

Richard Dreyfuss, far more than just the sum of two Spielberg films (JAWS & CLOSE ENCOUNTERS) and a Lucas (AMERICAN GRAFFITI).- Which I do adore

His acting style evokes a meld of intelligence with immaturity and mischief with responsibility. Some how it all balances out and comes across on screen as very natural and watchable.

THE GOODBYE GIRL shows Deyfuss really flexing his thespian talents and displays how talented the man truly can be.

Its a shame the fame went to his head for a while but the film ROZENCRANTZ AND GUILDERSTERN ARE DEAD was a fabulous return to form for the man. TIN MEN and WHAT ABOUT BOB are to more high points in his later resume that I thoroughly enjoy.

Originally Posted by Deckard
Richard Dreyfuss, far more than just the sum of two Spielberg films (JAWS & CLOSE ENCOUNTERS) and a Lucas (AMERICAN GRAFFITI).- Which I do adore

His acting style evokes a meld of intelligence with immaturity and mischief with responsibility. Some how it all balances out and comes across on screen as very natural and watchable.

THE GOODBYE GIRL shows Deyfuss really flexing his thespian talents and displays how talented the man truly can be.

Its a shame the fame went to his head for a while but the film ROZENCRANTZ AND GUILDERSTERN ARE DEAD was a fabulous return to form for the man. TIN MEN and WHAT ABOUT BOB are to more high points in his later resume that I thoroughly enjoy.

I just loved him in 'What About Bob', My husband didn't like how much I laughed at his character, I am sure it has nothing to do with fact that my hsb is a very odd Psychiatrist himself, oh but very sweet.

i like him bet in jaws... the moment when he sees ben gardener's head in the boat is great! well... the bit at the surface when he seems partially in shock... lol
stand by me= great, and though i liked mr holland's opus, i wouldn't necessarilly rank it up with my favourite movies... i think the supporting actors did a better job than the headliners...

Last 5 Movies I have Watched...
The Astral Factor-•
Bridget Jones's Diary•••
The Maltese Falcon••••
Sliding Doors•••
Battle Royale••••

Collectormania
IMDb

Originally Posted by slug_slug
i like him bet in jaws... the moment when he sees ben gardener's head in the boat is great! well... the bit at the surface when he seems partially in shock... lol
stand by me= great, and though i liked mr holland's opus, i wouldn't necessarilly rank it up with my favourite movies... i think the supporting actors did a better job than the headliners...
High Slug welcome to MoFo what did you think of him in "What about Bob"

Originally Posted by nebbit
I just loved him in 'What About Bob', My husband didn't like how much I laughed at his character, I am sure it has nothing to do with fact that my hsb is a very odd Psychiatrist himself, oh but very sweet.
hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...........Nebbit I love that movie...

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Originally Posted by Nikki
hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...........Nebbit I love that movie...
I do also, I watched it with my mother just before she died we laughed and laughed, she loved it.

oh hey nebbit/everyone!!!
yeah, i meant to put something about 'WAB?' but i only tought of it after i had posted...
what about bob is soooo funny... and the chemistry b/w dreyfuss and bill murray is unbeatable...
only matched by that of johnny depp and orli bloom in Pof the C...

lol...

oh hey nebbit/everyone!!!
yeah, i meant to put something about 'WAB?' but i only tought of it after i had posted...
what about bob is soooo funny... and the chemistry b/w dreyfuss and bill murray is unbeatable...
only matched by that of johnny depp and orli bloom in Pof the C...

lol...

and nebbit, i'm sorry about your mom...

Richard Dreyfuss is an amazing actor in my book. He can play over the top characters and subtle quiet types with what seems the greatest of ease. He’s one of those actors, that regardless whether the film is good or bad, always gives us an exceptional performance. I haven’t seen all of the films he’s been in, but I’ve seen most of ‘em…here’s how I rank his top ten performances:

What About Bob? (1991)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Tin Men(1987)
Let It Ride(1989)
Stakeout (1987)
Down and Out in Beverly Hills (1986)
Mr. Holland's Opus(1995)
The Goodbye Girl (1977)
Jaws (1975)
American Graffiti(1973)

These are rest of the films I’ve seen, top billing or not, all rank about the same for me (or its been so long I can't remember). He’s always good…so ranking the rest is kind of pointless. Actually, Hello Down There was one stupid movie, and with him being so young and untested, he wasn’t all that great.

Hello Down There (1969)
Dillinger (1973)
Stand by Me (1986)
Nuts (1987)
Moon Over Parador (1988)
Always (1989)
Postcards from the Edge (1990)
Lost in Yonkers (1993)
Another Stakeout (1993)
The American President (1995)
Night Falls on Manhattan (1997)
Krippendorf's Tribe (1998)
The Crew (2000)
Silver City (2004)

I’m kind of looking forward to seeing him in the remake of The Poseidon Adventure with Kurt Russell. It looks like they’ve changed all the character names, so I have no idea whether these two are actually rehashing Hackman and Borgnine’s roles or not. I hope so.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by nebbit
Me too, but I'm not quite so artistic.

Originally Posted by firegod
One thing that is obvious about Dreyfuss is how brilliant he is. If his I.Q. is lower than 150, I'd be very surprised.
Well, yup, I think you're right! I read in an old article (from about 1979) that he does indeed have a genius IQ - not sure what it is.

So unless it dissipates with age (I doubt it!) we're dealing with one smart cookie, here!

I've also met the man, and thought he was funny, charming, magnetic, charismatic and gorgeous - those eyes.....

I've bought and seen loads of his movies since meeting him. Jaws was the first movie I ever saw him in, years ago, and it's certainly one of my faves, but The Goodbye Girl (hence my name), American Graffitti and his cameo in Postcards from the Edge are extremely fine performances, I think. I've not seen all the films by any stretch , so if anyone wants to make a recommendation, I'd be v. pleased.

I loved him in Whose Life is it Anyway? as well, but only had the courage to watch it once since I've bought it, because it made me cry so hard I had a headache the next day.