Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

. Really good film. Bergman's films all deal with extremely heavy,existential themes and they are rather cold.They are excellent films, but ones that take some warming up to. The same applies to this one.
Might have to give it a shot. So far the Bergman movies I have liked the most have been The Seventh Seal and Persona.

I am not offended by its existence. But it's just a pretentious film, like the two other Kaufman films I've seen (Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine). As one person on criticker said, "Although he's grown as a writer, Kaufman's script carries this irritating underlying current of distress and self-centeredness that's quite tiresome". Couldn't have said it better myself. Nothing is special about his scripts, or his films. They're not that weird either. Original? Yes, but that doesn't make them good.
You still haven't presented an idea to back up what you said. "Distress" isn't inherently bad, and "self-centeredness" can apply to everyone who creates something, since art is made for the artist not the audience. What is the problem exactly?

Finished here. It's been fun.
Might have to give it a shot. So far the Bergman movies I have liked the most have been The Seventh Seal and Persona.
Same here man. Those are my favorites as well, I wasn't a fan of Wild Strawberries though.

You still haven't presented an idea to back up what you said. "Distress" isn't inherently bad, and "self-centeredness" can apply to everyone who creates something, since art is made for the artist not the audience. What is the problem exactly?
The problem is that you love Kaufman.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
If you're going to watch your first or another Bergman after disappointment (or not), I'd recommend The Magician, The Virgin Spring or Shame.

Fanny and Alexander is my favourite, but it's 3/5 hours depending on which version you see. I have seen that, Persona and The Seventh Seal, I think they are great too.

Why so low?

I am not offended by its existence. But it's just a pretentious film, like the two other Kaufman films I've seen (Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine). As one person on criticker said, "Although he's grown as a writer, Kaufman's script carries this irritating underlying current of distress and self-centeredness that's quite tiresome". Couldn't have said it better myself. Nothing is special about his scripts, or his films. They're not that weird either. Original? Yes, but that doesn't make them good.
I never really get what people mean when they're talking about a 'pretentious' film. What makes a film pretentious? When it's more original, intelligent and daring than other mainstream films? Well, then I want more pretentious films right this instant!

I never really get what people mean when they're talking about a 'pretentious' film. What makes a film pretentious? When it's more original, intelligent and daring than other mainstream films? Well, then I want more pretentious films right this instant!
Films are pretentious when they pretend to be deep or try to give that illusion that they are, when in fact they are not.

Films are pretentious when they pretend to be deep or try to give that illusion that they are, when in fact they are not.
Then that doesn't apply to Charlie Kaufman, in my opinion.

Then that doesn't apply to Charlie Kaufman, in my opinion.
Was not talking about Charlie. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind I genuinely like. It was more focused and emotionally poignant. Being John Malkovich was more scatterbrained then pretentious. At least for me. But I can see how someone could see it being pretentious.

For me a film like Pierrot le Fou was very pretentious. At least Being John Malkovich had a coherent story. I did not like it, but it was there.

The Matrix sequels were VERY pretentious.

It it's own way, Spring Breakers was pretentious. With certain religious imagery, a character named faith, and certain lines repeated over and over again the movie tried to trick me into thinking there was a point. There was none. It was nothing more then an excuse to see half naked and or topless chicks on the beach, random violence and profanity, and James Franco high off his ass. It was a complete waste of 90 minutes.

OH! Before I forget, On Deadly Ground with Steven Segal is GIGANTICALLY prententious! Especially the last five or so minutes when he literally gives us a lecture at the end of the damn movie! Also, and environmental message in an action movie? Wrong vehicle buddy!

.... What the **** did I just watch? I like movies that are weird, and David Lynch is one of my all time favorite directors. But Lynch's weird and surreal movies are interesting and mysterious while this feels more like it was written on a mad lib ( - SC). People want to **** in Malkovich's head, who cares?!?!?

I will stick to REAL weird and silly film writers like LLOYD Kaufman, thank you very much!
I threw away that one Lloyd Kaufman movie I was telling you about the other day....

I haven't seen this particular movie in years and years. I liked it, though, but for the most part, I like Charlie Kaufman. You should watch Adaptation.

And Charlie Kaufman's S... (goes to Google to see how to spell this) ... Synecdoche, New York ... I'm not recommending it (it has Philip Seymour Hoffman in it) but that movie is FAR MORE difficult to understand and enjoy than something like Being John Malkovich.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Sounds like Hollywood

Do it. Nicolas Cage and Meryl Streep, baby.
But, despite that, give it a go. That said, I've not watched it for that very reason.