Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I realize that I'm low-balling Once. I think it represents everything which is wonderful in independent cinema, plus I truly love "alternative" modern music. Some of the scenes are incredibly magical (most all the live music scenes, the way she hauls her vacuum around like she's walking a dog, the opening scene with the theft, etc.) Some scenes are just decent indie filmmaking to me, especially the montages. They seem to pale to the ones I mentioned earlier. Even so, if I'd had the film longer, I would have watched it several more times. I also love that scene where they go to get lunch, and it's filmed through all the passers-by and the reflections in the shop windows. I think it's an exemplary movie and one which is totally unexpected. I TRULY RECOMMEND it to everyone at this site!!

However, I believe that 3:10 to Yuma is a better movie. I realize that it's apples and oranges, but if I give something 3/5, that's a good recommendation. I admit that this film seems better each time I watch it, but I just have to try to fit them in where I see them. Once again, I see Juno as a 3.5/5. Now, my daughter swears that Once is better even though she loves Juno. I just try to get her to think and dig into herself about her feelings; I don't expect her (quite yet) to actually justify them, since I already know she's perfect.

OK, what did you really want me to discuss?

Aye boy don't spit in my drink!
I was really just curious what knocked it down from a 3.5 or 4. I can see where you're going with some of the scenes being examples of merely "decent indie filmmaking" and usually a thing like that would bother me but in Once I found the two leads to be so overwhelmingly likable that the aesthetic qualities of the movie really ended up taking a back seat to the characters and the music in terms of how important it was to my enjoying the movie.

And I was also wondering what you thought about that crazed lunatic from Sunshine and how he fit (or didn't fit) into the rest of the movie.

I'm sick, so I decided to see how many times I could watch Serenity yesterday, no not really but I did watch everything on the DVD all the extras and the film and then I watched the film again with Joss Whedon's commentary, which was interesting. I've never watched a film with the commentary running before. I learned a few more interesting things that I didn't learn from the extras. And then the wife came home and saw I had Serenity on so I ended up watching it again!

Why watch Serenity 3 times in one day you may ask? And maybe more importantly did it hold up 3 times in a row? Yes it did, very much so. I freely admit I'm in the bag for this film and frankly every time I watch it there is always going to be a pretty large sense of awe attached to it. Why? Because T.V. shows that get canceled do not get made into motion pictures, especially ones that don't even run for a whole season. Quick, name one. You probably can't can you?

It's people like me and several others on this site and many other's around the Internet that have started an amazing underground movement and it's still going on. Because honestly I want the show back on the air where it belongs. So I'm going to keep talking this film up and then I'll tell you to get the show called Firefly and watch that too. It's worth every penny.

3:10 to Yuma

This was radical. Its been awhile since my expectations were satisfied, but this movie definitely delivered. The motivation for all of the characters was simple and effective, the way it ought' to be. The ending was perfect.

I highly recommend this movie.

Family Guy: Blue Harvest

Too many of the jokes had to explain to the audience why they were supposed to be funny, which made them not funny. Some of the jokes were funny though. If you're confused about whether or not I liked this movie, so am I. I'm leaning toward not liking it, but not so much to give it two thumbs down.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
The Princess Pride

My humble opinion is in my review page

here

Pirates of the Caribbean The Curse of the Black Pearl

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Mans Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End

This is the first time of what I'm sure will be many viewings of these films back to back to back, and I gotta say I just really enjoyed them. I like the third film slightly better than the second but overall I'm highly entertained. This is another trilogy that I would lump together, and enjoy it for what it is. Pure campy fun with a lot of cool boats, I love me some boats.

Wow...I thought At worlds end was one of the worst films I had seen in 2007...I almost walked out of the theater...I would've had I not come with my niece...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Bad Taste:

Peter Jackson's first film and it's a entertaining little film, But has little to no substance. I probably wouldn't have watched this if it wasn't on Internet Archive(A site with public domain movies.).It's one of those films that has alot of "Oh that was cool!" kind of moments in it.But, following the film you really don't have the urge to watch it again.

It was neat to see what they did with a shoestring budget though and the alien showdown at the end was well filmed. It was cineamatic fluff and while it's probably a fun film to watch with your buddy's on a weekend, It's not something I could justify watching alone again.
I love this film, it was indeed fun to watch. Then again, I really like watching films like this (Evil Dead is another) in which you see low budget films working very well because of the creative team behind them.

Suspect's Reviews

I am half agony, half hope.
Who Are You, Polly Maggoo?

A funny satire about 60s fashion, models, and France. Polly, an American, moved to France and became a high fashion model. She becomes the subject of a behind-the-scenes documentary of her life. She fantasizes about prince charming coming to take her away as she goes through her days with the cameras following her.

The opening scene with the models wearing sheet metal outfits on the runway is awesome.

Johann von Goethe

I should probably watch that again, Mrs. Darcy. I was blown away by the costumes, art direction, photography, credits, and general overall design, but I had a hard time caring about anything. It also had a cool cast of people who got more famous later, but I couldn't relate to them. Maybe I was in a crap mood. But it is a cool artifact of the swingin' sixties. How did you happen to watch it? I saw it on TCM.

I should probably watch that again, Mrs. Darcy. I was blown away by the costumes, art direction, photography, credits, and general overall design, but I had a hard time caring about anything. It also had a cool cast of people who got more famous later, but I couldn't relate to them. Maybe I was in a crap mood. But it is a cool artifact of the swingin' sixties. How did you happen to watch it? I saw it on TCM.
It's been running on the Sundance Channel this month (it was on again earlier tonight, I saw). This is in advance of it being released on DVD by the Criterion Collection, due on March 18th, 2008. It'll be part of their Eclipse Series and the set is "The Delirious Fictions of William Klein" which includes Who Are You, Polly Magoo?, Mr. Freedom and The Model Couple.

*by the by, Mark, the next Eclipse Series is "Lubitsch Musicals": The Love Parade (1929), Monte Carlo (1930), The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) and One Hour with You (1932). That one is due to street on February 12th.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Targets:

This movie was a choice film. It's the last film that Boris Karloff made(Last feature film.He did do some work in Mexico after this,Bu this was his last film of any significance.)and the first film of Peter Bogdonavitch(Who's work is very hit and miss from what I've heard.).It's very intriging and very suspensfull.

First,the performances from the top two actors were top notch. Karloff as an aging actor is a very good fit and the man who played Bobby(I think that's the crazed war vet's name) does it chillingly(The scene's where he has his finger on the trigger hold alot of shock and his emotionless stare just adds to it.). The rest of the cast didn't really do anything for me,But they were just paper thin characters(My only big gripe with this film is that they didn't put more time into the secondary characters.) used to help move things along anyway.

The direction is also quite solid and the composition of the shots really display the vibes they are trying to go for. Take for instance Bobby's house, You can tell by the shots that it is a place of discomfort for him and the performance just adds to that.

The final scene is also a very tight sequence and the drama builds quite well. The final standoff is very well done and it does a good job of concluding the film.It is also a testament to Karloff's body of work in film and concludes his career quite justly.

Overall,a very enjoyable film that packs the thrills and has a undeniable air of creepiness to it. I would definatly watch this again someday.

Targets:

This movie was a choice film. It's the last film that Boris Karloff made(Last feature film.He did do some work in Mexico after this,Bu this was his last film of any significance.)and the first film of Peter Bogdonavitch(Who's work is very hit and miss from what I've heard.).It's very intriging and very suspensfull.

First,the performances from the top two actors were top notch. Karloff as an aging actor is a very good fit and the man who played Bobby(I think that's the crazed war vet's name) does it chillingly(The scene's where he has his finger on the trigger hold alot of shock and his emotionless stare just adds to it.). The rest of the cast didn't really do anything for me,But they were just paper thin characters(My only big gripe with this film is that they didn't put more time into the secondary characters.) used to help move things along anyway.

The direction is also quite solid and the composition of the shots really display the vibes they are trying to go for. Take for instance Bobby's house, You can tell by the shots that it is a place of discomfort for him and the performance just adds to that.

The final scene is also a very tight sequence and the drama builds quite well. The final standoff is very well done and it does a good job of concluding the film.It is also a testament to Karloff's body of work in film and concludes his career quite justly.

Overall,a very enjoyable film that packs the thrills and has a undeniable air of creepiness to it. I would definatly watch this again someday.
Yep, I want to watch it again right now. I saw this sucka at a drive-in as the second feature to something I can't recall. The lead, Tim O'Kelly, never did anything of significance after this, but he did seem to fit in for what Bogdanovich was aiming for.

Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody
Targets:
This movie was a choice film. It's the last film that Boris Karloff made and the first film of Peter [Bogdanovich] (Who's work is very hit and miss from what I've heard.). It's very [intriguing] and very [suspenseful].

First of all as for Bogdanovich, a critic and film historian turned filmmaker, he has some very strong work to his credit. The Last Picture Show and Paper Moon alone are out-and-out classics, and I love What's Up, Doc?, Mask, They All Laughed, Saint Jack, Noises Off... and The Cat's Meow - all very much worth seeing (I think). He does have some real stinkers to his name as well, but most people who have been in the industry for forty years do. And his book of interviews with his friend and mentor, This is Orson Welles, is a must-read for anybody even remotely interested in Welles and the history of filmmaking. Yeah, much of it is filled with Welles reinforcing his own mythology, but doing it the way only Orson can.

Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody
First,the performances from the top two actors were top notch. Karloff as an aging actor is a very good fit and the man who played Bobby (I think that's the crazed war vet's name) does it chillingly (the [scenes] where he has his finger on the trigger hold [a lot] of shock and his emotionless stare just adds to it.). The rest of the cast didn't really do anything for me, but they were just paper thin characters (my only big gripe with this film is that they didn't put more time into the secondary characters) used to help move things along anyway.

For me this is probably the second best film made for Roger Corman's low-rent A.I.P. operation (the best being John Milius' Dillinger). It's also maybe the prime example from that learn-as-you-go B-movie haven of how even with a box full of limitations imposed if you have drive, invention and talent you can make cinematic lemonade out of lemons. With almost no money to work with and told he only had two days to use Karloff left over from his limited contract and forced to somehow incorporate footage from the previous production of The Raven, Bogdanovich with his then-wife Polly Platt and an uncredited helping hand from maverick legend Sam Fuller were able to make an excellent flick that was timely, chilling and entertaining, and much better than it probably had much right to be.

Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody
Overall,a very enjoyable film that packs the thrills and has a undeniable air of creepiness to it. I would [definitely] watch this again someday.
Yup, it is worth re-watching. But first do check out Peter's Paper Moon and The Last Picture Show, A.S.A.P. Great, great movies.