What's your fave movie?

Tools    

Hi hi, I'm new so I'll make this a short as possible

I love all kinds of movies, to many to pick just one favorite so I'll go with my favorite for each catagory (Drama, Comdey, Horror, etc) *thinks*

Drama: The Shawshank Redemption: I love this movie it always makes me cry at the end.
Comdey: Liar Liar: you would not believe how well I know this movie.
Horror: Saw: This movie scared the hell out of me!!
Scifi: Equalibream: It reminded me a lot of George Orwells book 1984 which I really enjoy
Action: I'm not a big action fan, but I'd have to say Die Hard
Fantasy: LOTR trillagey: Out of all three the first and third were my favorite
Animated: Sherk: MUCH better than the second one imo.

-Lessa

Tom Waits is the true GOD
City of lost Children & Delicatessan
Two great films by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Attached Images
File Type: bmp deli.bmp (109.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: bmp City.bmp (73.4 KB, 139 views)

My top 20

1, The shawshank redemption
2, The lost boys
3, Snatch
4, Cool hand luke
5, Ferris buellers day off
6, Stand by me
7, The breakfast club
8, Midnight express
9, American history X
10, Midnight cowboy
11, One flew over the cuckoos nest
12, American beauty
13, Requiem for a dream
14, Million dollar baby
15, Leon
16, North by northwest
17, Rear window
18, Magnolia
19, 25th hour
20, Fight club

I guess I'd have to go with Star Wars (4, 5, + 6) even though I usually tend to like romantic comedies. ^^;;

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
My favourite movie would be Noriko's Dinner Table (Sion Sono 2005). This movie has some of the best music. A great story that makes you think but, isn't to hard to grasp. A connection with the characters is almost immediately established. I'd say this movie features some of the best acting I've ever seen in my life. You can really feel the depth involved in the roles. I hope everyone gets around to seeing this one day in their life and if you do, make sure to watch it with your parents if you can as this is an important movie for families.

There is no way I could ever pick just one movie but I love Pirates of the Caribbean, Don't say a word, Van Helsing, White Noise, 27 Dresses, 10 Things I Hate about you, I love lots of movies lol

Long Live The New Flesh
Missy, glad to see I'm not alone in liking White Noise. I thought it was unfairly panned by critics, although I can readily identify several distinctly "cult" elements in it that give it that "midnight movie" appeal, so I could see an argument for it being a "personal preference" movie. I can't say the same for your other favorites however, but, "Eye of the Beholder" and all of that I suppose.

As I mentioned in an other thread, the business of critiquing a movie is somewhat subjective, but there are essential components that I think a majority of the more sophisticated film goers can agree on, in that sense there is at least some accounting for taste. I have so many favorites but I suppose I can simply copy my list from myspace in the interest of saving time, and in no particular order these are some of my favorites:

Into The Wild, A Scanner Darkly, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Blade Runner, Yojimbo, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, All The President Men, Donnie Darko, Fight Club, Requiem for a Dream, Stranger than Fiction, Being John Malkovich, The Butterfly Effect, Raising Arizona, After Hours, The Princess Bride, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Matchstick Men, 2001 A Space Odyssey, The Omega Man, THX 1138, Excalibur, The Man From Earth, Things We Lost in the Fire, Papillion, The Fountain, The Comedians of Comedy, City of God, Real Genius, Trainspotting, Killing Zoe, Rushmore, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Squid and the Whale, The United States Of Leland, Lost in Translation, Little Miss Sunshine, Ghost World, Juno, Smart People, Little Children, Beetle Juice, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks, Edward Scissorhands, Clue, Young Frankenstein, Deathtrap, A Clockwork Orange, Brazil, Snatch, Boogie Nights, Blow, Magnolia, The Game, Thelma & Louise, Jacobs Ladder, Stir of Echoes, Leon (The Professional), True Romance, Apocalypse Now, Natural Born Killers, Old School, Kingpin, Heat, Reservoir Dogs, Good Will Hunting, The Big Sleep, Million Dollar Baby, A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, The Cell, American Me, Rush, Mystic River, Easy Rider, Marathon Man, Training Day, American Beauty, Usual Suspects, Se7en, Pulp Fiction, Spun, Ichi The Killer, Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, Eraserhead, American History X, Kill Bill 1-2, The Doors, Altered States, The Crow, Sin City, Sleepy Hollow,The Count of Monte Cristo, The Maltese Falcon, Logan's Run, Twelve Monkeys, Fargo, Happy Go Lucky, The Go-Getter, Be Kind Rewind, 2 Days in Paris, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Clerks, The Breakfast Club, Some Kind of Wonderful, Cloverfield, Syriana, Munich, Good Night and Good Luck, Michael Clayton, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Naked Lunch, Crash, Oldboy, Tideland, Me and You and Everyone We Know, Amélie, King of California, Serendipity, High Fidelity, House Of Sand And Fog, Sideways, The Big Lebowski, V for Vendetta, Repo Man, Mystic River, The Unforgiven, Fido, and The Call of Cthulu, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, Videodrome, The Ring, Chopper, Kids, Human Traffic, Go, The Shining, C'est arrivé près de chez vous (Man Bites Dog), El Mariachi, From Dusk Till Dawn, The Thing (John Carpenter Remake), Vanilla Sky, Sunshine, Planet of the Apes, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Memento, Flatliners, Pan's Labyrinth, The Illusionist, Finding Neverland, The Last Samurai, Ghost in The Shell, Akira, Metropolis, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Blood The Last Vampire, Dead Ringers, Scanners, The Brood, The Fly, the Dead Zone, The Shining, The Changeling, The Exorcist, The Exorcist III, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Suspira, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, An American Werewolf in London, Black Christmas, Deep Red, Hellraiser, Night Breed, Kairo (Pulse), Ringu (The Ring), Ju-On (The Grudge), Honogurai mizu no soko kara (Dark Water), Janghwa, Hongryeon (A Tale of Two Sisters),The Ninth Gate, Night of The Living Dead, Evil Dead II, Rec, 28 Days Later, Near Dark, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Carnival of Souls, Princess Mononoke, Appleseed 2004, Gantz, The Matrix, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Seven Samurai, A Chinese Ghost Story, Kawidan, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, Fearless, Audition, Lord of the Rings, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, War of the Worlds, The Blob, Godzilla, Forbidden Planet, The Time Machine

On a side note: (assuming you actually drudged through that unformatted list) every version that has a remake listed will always be the original/classic (The Thing notwithstanding).

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
I didn't mind White Noise either, not a fantastic movie but, sertainly not terrible. Videodrome, every movie on your list that I've seen is awesome. I'm glad to see another Miike fan on the boards. I see Oldboy up there, have you seen the rest of Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy? I actually thought Sympathy for Lady Vengeance was much better than Oldboy (which is still amazing) but I seem to be alone there.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
My favorite movie of all time is Terminator 2 it is flawless!

Long Live The New Flesh
I didn't mind White Noise either, not a fantastic movie but, sertainly not terrible. Videodrome, every movie on your list that I've seen is awesome. I'm glad to see another Miike fan on the boards. I see Oldboy up there, have you seen the rest of Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy? I actually thought Sympathy for Lady Vengeance was much better than Oldboy (which is still amazing) but I seem to be alone there.
White Noise isn't something I'd give a 6.5 or 7 on imdb, but it was worth a 6 to me personally. I'd also give a 6 to The Grudge remake, much to the disapproval of many I'm sure. I'm a sucker for midnight movies, and the ability to effectively scare me isn't something I dismiss easily. Keep in mind though, I'm not overly generous with ratings usually, I gave 300 a 6 at imdb (I know it was worth more, but was trying to deflate the overall). While I thought 300 was just silly, I bow before Sin City. Like I said I'm more stingy than not, I frequently rate bad movies 1 to 4.

I have seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and regret forgetting to add it (*just now did), unfortunately I haven't seen any thing else directed by Park Chan-wook outside of Oldboy. Both of those are a good indication he's one to follow. I'll definitely look for more at your recommendation. My peripheral vision is always on Korean and Japanese cinema. They have a proven track record and tend to produce several gems each year.

EDIT: Just added Repo Man, Mystic River, Unforgiven, Fido, Flatliners, and The Call of Cthulu (2005).

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I enjoyed White Noise I thought it was a great film and I also liked White Noise 2. Didnt think it was as good as the 1st film but it was good.

Welcome to the human race...
Videodrome - I'd recommend you use the Enter key next time. I can spot plenty of good movies on there, but it'd be easier to read in list form.

Anyway, on topic...

The Blues Brothers

Long Live The New Flesh
Videodrome - I'd recommend you use the Enter key next time. I can spot plenty of good movies on there, but it'd be easier to read in list form.
That list in list form would take up an entire scrolling to even see, not to mention it would mean I would need to care a great deal more than simply copying and pasting it from myspace, but duly noted.

JustinW - Impeccable taste.

White Noise isn't something I'd give a 6.5 or 7 on imdb, but it was worth a 6 to me personally. I'd also give a 6 to The Grudge remake, much to the disapproval of many I'm sure. I'm a sucker for midnight movies, and the ability to effectively scare me isn't something I dismiss easily. Keep in mind though, I'm not overly generous with ratings usually, I gave 300 a 6 at imdb (I know it was worth more, but was trying to deflate the overall). While I thought 300 was just silly, I bow before Sin City. Like I said I'm more stingy than not, I frequently rate bad movies 1 to 4.

I have seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and regret forgetting to add it (*just now did), unfortunately I haven't seen any thing else directed by Park Chan-wook outside of Oldboy. Both of those are a good indication he's one to follow. I'll definitely look for more at your recommendation. My peripheral vision is always on Korean and Japanese cinema. They have a proven track record and tend to produce several gems each year.

EDIT: Just added Repo Man, Mystic River, Unforgiven, Fido, Flatliners, and The Call of Cthulu (2005).
Thank you -- you also have nice taste. I love Repo Man, Mystic River, and The Call of Cthulhu (Lovecraft nerd here). And I also like Oldboy a lot.

Welcome to the human race...
That list in list form would take up an entire scrolling to even see, not to mention it would mean I would need to care a great deal more than simply copying and pasting it from myspace, but duly noted.
Heh, maybe I'll do it for you if I so desire, seeing as I'm probably the only person who cares.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
There was a time when I could have never answered the question of what my favorite is until I saw this one:

I love all kinds of films (except horror probably), but this film feeds into all my passions: character studies, great literature full of rich themes about what makes us human and what makes us brave, swords, handsome men (with swords), epic filmmaking at its best full of battles, bigger than life sets, and gorgeous costumes. This film has everything I love and more.

The film also contains emotional highpoints that make me cry; my two faves are Boromir's death and "My friends, you bow to no one." I love how this film builds up to these high points. I also think Boromir's death is a perfect piece of cinema.

I also love a film riddled with dialogue such as "what can men do against such reckless hate?"