MoFo Health Thread

Tools    

I had this really sharp pain above my stomach on the right side (and barely on the left) and I wonder if it is kidney or liver related. Fortunately it is not nearly as bad today, so I think it will go on it's own. But it did scare me a little.
Or something more innocent like a pulled muscle, muscle spasm and so on. Can cause a sharp pain.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
This is probably reasonable but weighing myself consistently keeps me on track, at least for the most part. I guess the takeaway is I shouldn't beat myself up over a pound or two.

Agree and agree. That pound or two is water weight usually.

I'm still trying to figure out how it works, I almost think there is a delayed reaction, even though it doesn't make sense to me.

I eat garbage Fri, weigh the same. Sugar Saturday is a complete shhtshoow, weigh the same. Sunday is nothing but real food and the weight is up this morning.

I think water weight has more to do with the type of food than how good or bad it is. Things with salt, for example.

Anyway, I'm the same as Swan, weighing myself regularly really helps, provided you only really react to things over the course of several days. I've had lots of situations where my weight didn't go down or went up for what felt like no reason, but every time I stick it out, after a few more days everything ends up where it ought to.

I had this really sharp pain above my stomach on the right side (and barely on the left) and I wonder if it is kidney or liver related.
That's your liver saying stop eating that "food", upper right side pain, near the middle. You can notice that your liver is having a hard time by the color of your skin and eyes (yellow), the color of your feces (yellow) and urine (dark color), also if your feet begin to swell. It can be reversed, losing weight is the easiest way, other people say fasting, but doesn't work for me.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Hide some delicious cookies in my cupboard and think again. The trick is not to have any sweets at home, and only have as much (or as little) food as you need.
Sometimes it's not enough. Believe me!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
@Ms. M

Thankfully I'm much lazier than gourmand, so if I don't have anything at home I'm too lazy to go to Biedronka to buy something. Anyway, I'm kind of jaded with Biedronka and do my groceries at Lidl now. :P
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

@Ms. M

Thankfully I'm much lazier than gourmand, so if I don't have anything at home I'm too lazy to go to Biedronka to buy something. Anyway, I'm kind of jaded with Biedronka and do my groceries at Lidl now. :P
I'm also lazy, but in my case it mean I don't like to prepare healthy meals. I go to a groceries which is on my road. Biedronka or Lidl - doesn't matter. Just want to shopping fast and go home.

Same here. Thankfully, I order home-made dinner every workday.

And I mostly just eat sausages for breakfast, and don't eat a supper.

I don't have canteen at my work place, so I need to preparing food
I don't either. The girls at our reception accumulate all employees' orders and call whatever place we want that offers takeaway food with delivery. At the end of every week we simply pay them whatever total we owe. So convenient. :3

Good idea, but I can't afford to order food every day. Canteens are usually subsidized by companies, so meals are cheaper for employes.

Well, I don't know the prices in Kraków, but the place we order from right now offers a "dish of the day" for 12,50 zł plus 5 zł delivery cost divided by whatever number of people who ordered food. It's a pretty reasonable price if you ask me, and I feel really good now that I eat true dinners instead of buns or snacks like I used to when I was a student.

Yeah, you are right. In Cracow price for a meal of the day is about 16 zł, like in the bar next to my job. I order there from time to time, but when I spoke with my friend from Łódź, she told me that meal in her wokplace canteen costs about 6 zł (subsidized of course) - two dishes! So it's a big difference.

16 zł isn't that bad. Some people at my workplace order food that costs 20-something zł. Now that's what I call overpriced! Not to mention the food is pretty bad, but to each their own.

Surely, subsidized food at canteens will be much cheaper, but cheap doesn't always go with quality, or tasty.

I think investing in your health and well-being is worth it. Not to mention if you eat a full dinner you will be full for the rest of the day, which ideally eliminates you having to buy (not so cheap) sweets, snacks etc.

Sure, there is no problem with ordering expensive food, which as you wrote, not always is so good.

My friend is very satisfied with this canteen. She likes so called home made meals

I'm investing in my health and mostly prepair meals at home, but I don't like it. I don't like to cook.
I supose I should start going to a gym or something, but I'm too lazy right now.

Anyway, good job Minio.

Yep, home-made food is the best.

I don't like to (or shall I say can't?) cook either. I wouldn't mind a cute girl cook teaching me, though. Otherwise, it's not too appealing. /problematic but honest opinion/

I'm too lazy for a gym, too. I probably should start working out, because I basically sit the entire day which is a spine-killer, but I simply can't bring myself to do this.

I wish somebody told me "good job" when I'm old and wrinkled and have lived my entire life just like I wanted to. Right now it's way too early for such words. :P

Anyway, I'm going to bed now. Eating healthy is one thing. Getting a good night's sleep is another.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I don't cook.. I eat right from the fridge. I don't even use a stove or oven; in fact, I use it for storage. I have a microwave, though. I like cheap and tasty. The only exercise I get is drums, and it's still sitting.

A good night of sleep is the best thing I could ask for, but the guy across the street leaves at 5am, and has no muffler, and I already have a loud fan. I'll probably have to waste more energy (despite my utility shut-off notice) and also turn on my window AC fan just for more volume.....

So last Friday I felt I had chest congestion and Saturday morning I took a Sudafed/Mucinex pill to help. All day Saturday I had phlegm come up but it was red with blood. I didn't feel good Sunday and I took a 4-hour nap but stayed on the medication I was taking. It didn't get better and whenever I would swallow, the back of my throat/neck felt like it was rough and irritated. I went to urgent care finally on Wednesday night. When they took my blood pressure, it was 178 over 116. The urgent care doctor said if it was two points higher, I would have had to go to the hospital. Anything over 180 is serious heart attack zone. I figured it was high because I was sick. A year ago, I pulled my sciatic nerve for the first time and my blood pressure was over 220. The nurse explained this time, with my sciatic nerve I was in pain, its to be expected. This time I just didn't feel good she said. Wait, not everyone has the same threshold for pain. I was in pain even though it was just my throat and sinuses, not just that I didn't feel good. Apparently, the Taltz medication lowers the IK-17A gene that has to do with inflammation and infections. No wonder it turned out to be an upper respiratory infection.

I tried to call my family doctor today to get in Monday. I was willing to trade my Monday at work with someone who has it off so they could have my Saturday off. He normally works Tuesday thru Saturday and I work Monday thru Friday. The nurse taking appointments gave me the run around. I said it had to be "This Monday Only" and not any other day of the week or time. She put me to the doctor's voicemail and I have not heard back yet.

Would you consider blood pressure of 178 over 116 serious enough to call your patient back to schedule? To try to work them in with another doctor in that practice? They haven't done **** yet..

I have eaten bananas, apples, pears, and strawberries and taken low dose aspirin and it only brought it down to 171 over 123.

If I have a heart attack, I hope my family can sue the medical practice for not accommodating someone who seriously needs to see them!!

Note; When the urgent care doctor looked at the back of my throat, he asked if I had been vomiting, which I hadn't. All the blood vessels were close to the skin, which is probably why there was blood in the phlegm.

@MovieGal stop at a drug store and buy a blood pressure tester, they don't cost much. Your blood pressure might right now be way lower than it was when you were in the doctor's office. Being sick alone will raise your blood pressure, depending on how bad you felt and how nervous or upset you were about visiting the doctor. So it could be 20 points lower right now. Just about any store with a pharmacy will sell blood pressure testers, for like under $40. Take me advice buy it, test yourself at home and you might find your BP is much lower, which will give you some peace of mind. And there a good thing to have anyway.

@MovieGal stop at a drug store and buy a blood pressure tester, they don't cost much. Your blood pressure might right now be way lower than it was when you were in the doctor's office. Being sick alone will raise your blood pressure, depending on how bad you felt and how nervous or upset you were about visiting the doctor. So it could be 20 points lower right now. Just about any store with a pharmacy will sell blood pressure testers, for like under $40. Take me advice buy it, test yourself at home and you might find your BP is much lower, which will give you some peace of mind. And there a good thing to have anyway.
I have one now.. and the woman at work has one she let me use.