Please tell me what kind of laptop you use.

Tools    

"Doesn’t have to be anything special like the Apple Air." - Yeah but.

I'm doing this on a MacBook Pro that now has 6 years on it, has a terrific screen, and still works as well as day one. They're not cheap, but they are fast, have great screens and work really well. On the dollar-per-day calculation it's been fairly cheap.
I am happy to hear that you feel this has been a good choice for you and am especially pleased to hear it is still running so well, but this is just not true for the average person, and here's why, in my opinion. The vast majority of people who buy laptops use them for basic things, such as Word processing and web browsing. Potentially also using basic software applications such as Excel or PPT, and maybe watching the occasional show on streaming, though more people probably do that on their TVs. For these types of routine tasks, a computer for $500 will do the job. Most people don't buy a Macbook pro because they are a gamer that benefits from the best graphics card money can buy, or because of the pristine high resolution screen that they really value at a $2,000 premium. Most people buy Apple products because they are ubiquitous throughout the society and buying an IPHONE seems like the right choice when everyone else they know has one. They don't actually consider whether or not the premium they pay is something they value, or whether a much cheaper product may work just as well for them. For you, a Macbook pro may be worth it. I can't speak to that, as that's a personal choice, but for the masses, it's often arguably not worth the incredible premium, especially when it concerns Mac laptops vs. other brands. There are many brands that also can last many years if well taken care of, and many laptops that are much cheaper have the requisite power to reliably do the type of routine tasks of the average consumer.

I am happy to hear that you feel this has been a good choice for you and am especially pleased to hear it is still running so well, but this is just not true for the average person, and here's why, in my opinion. The vast majority of people who buy laptops use them for basic things, such as Word processing and web browsing. Potentially also using basic software applications such as Excel or PPT, and maybe watching the occasional show on streaming, though more people probably do that on their TVs. For these types of routine tasks, a computer for $500 will do the job. Most people don't buy a Macbook pro because they are a gamer that benefits from the best graphics card money can buy, or because of the pristine high resolution screen that they really value at a $2,000 premium. Most people buy Apple products because they are ubiquitous throughout the society and buying an IPHONE seems like the right choice when everyone else they know has one. They don't actually consider whether or not the premium they pay is something they value, or whether a much cheaper product may work just as well for them. For you, a Macbook pro may be worth it. I can't speak to that, as that's a personal choice, but for the masses, it's often arguably not worth the incredible premium, especially when it concerns Mac laptops vs. other brands. There are many brands that also can last many years if well taken care of, and many laptops that are much cheaper have the requisite power to reliably do the type of routine tasks of the average consumer.
I'll just add that the laptop is "upstairs". The downstairs computer is a Mac Mini that's been turned on 24 X 7 since 2010. Longevity seems to be a track record. Both are used for basic things like browsing, memos, e mail, etc. Lasting this long, it cost me $62 per year, which really is not expensive at all. I'm well aware of value and these computers have it. I bought mine so I could see something at home that was different from the PCs I saw at work as a network admin. I've never looked back on either purchase.

I saw a reply about Lenovo. I use Lenovo as well, but the battery life is faulty. (Thinkpad L13 Yoga), which would be perfect if not for the aforementioned reason. I haven't used any other laptops from them though, so I don't think there should be any problems if you get a model other than the one I own.

I saw a reply about Lenovo. I use Lenovo as well, but the battery life is faulty. (Thinkpad L13 Yoga), which would be perfect if not for the aforementioned reason. I haven't used any other laptops from them though, so I don't think there should be any problems if you get a model other than the one I own.
I've never owned a Lenovo but their ThinkPad series are beloved by the Linux community. At least I keep hearing them recommend.

I've never owned a Lenovo but their ThinkPad series are beloved by the Linux community. At least I keep hearing them recommend.
Hmm, I wonder if it’s just my laptop in particular with poor battery life. It’s weird that it even happened though, considering thinkpads have adaptive battery.

Hmm, I wonder if it’s just my laptop in particular with poor battery life. It’s weird that it even happened though, considering thinkpads have adaptive battery.
Batteries can go bad, even newer ones. Maybe look online for info about battery life and you're specific model of laptop.

You ready? You look ready.
No one buys a MacBook to play video games. So let’s just make that clear.

People buy MacBooks because, service wise, they are unmatched in the business. AppleCare is unparalleled.

Spec wise, the entry level devices are a mess of proprietary shit. But when you pair it with a next level service agreement it outshines the competition.

As someone who works on computers regularly for all different socioeconomic groups the Apple is by and large the most common device desired. Because it works and, when it doesn’t, they largely stand behind it.

But you’d be surprised to know that the king of laptops in the USA is not Dell, not Lenovo, not Apple, but HP. Really!

Internationally, tho, it’s Lenovo but the margins is close and HP is number 2.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A black one.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
i use msi gaming laptop
Oh let me guess. You bought it at Walmart? I bought an msi gaming laptop at Walmart and a few days later it wouldn't let me log into it. I took it back to Walmart and bought a Gateway laptop.

Oh let me guess. You bought it at Walmart? I bought an msi gaming laptop at Walmart and a few days later it wouldn't let me log into it. I took it back to Walmart and bought a Gateway laptop.
whats walmart? i live in australia , i got it from JB HI FI

and they specialize in souls
and soles.

No one buys a MacBook to play video games. So let’s just make that clear.

.....But you’d be surprised to know that the king of laptops in the USA is not Dell, not Lenovo, not Apple, but HP. Really!

Internationally, tho, it’s Lenovo but the margins is close and HP is number 2.
That's not surprising at all. In my past life as a network admin, I was involved in purchasing and know that most of those decisions are made because someone offers a good price on a bunch of them, offers tech support and because those computers are locked down so that the business user can only do what the admins say they can do. It makes them much more stable, especially compared to home users, who do all sorts of things that admins say they should not and visit web sites that are problematic. The "standard" for exchanging files in the business world is geared to MS Office, so Windows, Office and PC's are what gets put on desks.

Dell's gaming laptop that I bought in 2017. I don't need a new one as I don't play new games anymore. It works just fine.

If/when it breaks down or its technology is not sufficient enough, I'll probably buy another gaming laptop even if I'm not interested in playing computer games. High-performance is always good.