Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Tools    

harry potter, great movie

Fans are screaming that a delay is utterly egregious, but this is the product of Warner Bros. If they want to delay it, they can delay it. If they want to can it, they can do that too. Even a canned Potter flick wouldn't sink the studio.
Oh, absolutely, it is a product created by "the legal person," Warner Brothers. This "person" can choose to do what, eh, "it" wants with the thing it brought together, not discounting the efforts of individuals who are not that "person" who helped form it. Yet if a studio wants to act on a whim or a planned action for any reason, fans have that right too. My point is simply that fans do not owe the studio anything either--nobody owes anybody. While I cringe at the application of that thought, it would apply here. It would be my hope that such a "person" would reasonably have the concerns of the persons who pay for it in mind; as well, fans should do the same.
I agree, it's not wrong for fans to be upset. And sure, who expects Potter fans to sit down and wait quietly? That's a rabid bunch.
Heh--I am sure they are just as rowdy as fans of Tolkien. Seeing the fan reaction to a paper that questioned Tolkien's use of female characters, I can imagine how this modern mythology can get the folks fired up about a boy-turned-teen-turned-adult character who they have followed a good part of their lives.
It just seems to me like the overwhelmingly negative response the delay has garnered, coupled with widespread suggestions of boycott, completely misses the fact that delays happen all the time in more than just Hollywood. I mean, you'd think Warner Bros. was murdering kittens in public. Doesn't that strike you as a little naive and selfish?
I share that reaction as I said before that "[i]t may seem silly to give up on a movie because the release date changes." I have not followed the scale of the reaction though. Yet if Radcliffe's role in the play is the cause for the delay, and if I were a diehard fan, I can see the frustration (but not particularly follow the protest). This could be a positive thing too--it could tell the studio to be more accurate about the release date of highly anticipated films (if the change of date was motivated by profit, which would seem likely). People do not like being or feeling misled, whichever applies here. After all, after seeing the trailer for Falling Down and watching the movie, I was disappointed that I could not take back the hour or two it took to watch it. Still, given that enough creative and monetary resources have been put behind each film, there is no reason to believe the film will not do well or disappoint the fans (with reasonable expectations for the film).

In the Beginning...
Oh, absolutely, it is a product created by "the legal person," Warner Brothers. This "person" can choose to do what, eh, "it" wants with the thing it brought together, not discounting the efforts of individuals who are not that "person" who helped form it. Yet if a studio wants to act on a whim or a planned action for any reason, fans have that right too. My point is simply that fans do not owe the studio anything either--nobody owes anybody.
Dude, I'm not saying fans owe Warner Bros. their unbridled allegiance, no matter when the film finally gets released. I'm just saying I think they ought to reconsider getting so overwhelmingly agitated about a delay. I can understand frustration. Eight months is a long time. But like I said previously, blasting Warner Bros. for delaying a predominantly adolescent film in order to protect the integrity of said film's release (without the added press of its star actor shaking his pee-pee on Broadway) is a pretty selfish reaction; and suggesting a boycott is just ridiculous. There are far better reasons to boycott films.

Originally Posted by sharkfan
It would be my hope that such a "person" would reasonably have the concerns of the persons who pay for it in mind; as well, fans should do the same.
Generally, I don't sidle with studios on issues such as these. But given the circumstances and the disproportionately negative reaction by fans, I have to support Warner Bros. here. If this was a Disney-produced film, and Daniel Radcliffe went off and performed nude in a play, you better believe this film would NEVER be released, and they would drop him like 3rd Period French. Listening to your paying customers is important, but one film is still one film. Studios have hard-earned reputations to protect. I'm not saying a Radcliffe nude performance elsewhere is bad, and I don't think Warner Bros. does either. But come on, Harry Potter is getting naked. That's not the media tagline you want attached to your film.

Heh--I am sure they are just as rowdy as fans of Tolkien.
I wasn't dissing Potter fans for being rabid. But they are.

it could tell the studio to be more accurate about the release date of highly anticipated films (if the change of date was motivated by profit, which would seem likely).
It seems Warner Bros. had every intention of releasing the film on time. I can't imagine being any more accurate than that. As people are wont to say, $#!% happens.

People do not like being or feeling misled, whichever applies here.
That's understandable. But what cause did people have to practically riot in the streets over a film delay when they didn't even know why? I don't like being in the dark either, but Christ... don't condemn a studio when their reasons might very well have been perfectly logical.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It's like...imagine if Aquaman was plastered across thousands of screens with his face deep in coke

Suspect's Reviews

Dude, I'm not saying fans owe Warner Bros. their unbridled allegiance, no matter when the film finally gets released. I'm just saying I think they ought to reconsider getting so overwhelmingly agitated about a delay.
No need to become defensive (if that is the case here). I agree with your point here in my previous post.
I wasn't dissing Potter fans for being rabid. But they are.
Heh--diss them. Fans can be really crazed.
It seems Warner Bros. had every intention of releasing the film on time. I can't imagine being any more accurate than that. As people are wont to say, $#!% happens.
Perhaps so. Yet as one can see with the whole Watchmen situation going on right now (http://www.movieforums.com/community...=5455&page=14), studios do not act unlike war strategists. The reasons for what they do are not public and, when revealed, not always truthful.
That's understandable. But what cause did people have to practically riot in the streets over a film delay when they didn't even know why?
Yeah, I have not followed the reaction. I imagine going crazy over it would be too much. Hell, people will lose themselves over a delayed film release while going about their days with no concern for the horrible mass muder of war that is happening (not a political statement but a general comment). Sure, there are better things to worry about.

All is good, yes?

In the Beginning...
No need to become defensive (if that is the case here). I agree with your point here in my previous post.
Sorry that came off as abrasive. I was really tired.

Heh--diss them. Fans can be really crazed.
Hell, I'm one of them!

Originally Posted by sharkfanPerhaps so. Yet as one can see with the whole [I
Watchmen[/i] situation going on right now (http://www.movieforums.com/community...=5455&page=14), studios do not act unlike war strategists. The reasons for what they do are not public and, when revealed, not always truthful.
Totally. That's been my point all along: studios watch out for their own interests. I don't think Warner Bros. intentionally released a bogus launch date, however; and in the case of Watchmen, I'd say it's pretty clear that Fox is trying to hijack the film without looking the bad guys. Studios aren't perfect, either, and they're entirely driven by money and reputation. Their conduct, good or ill, often reflects that.

Yeah, I have not followed the reaction. I imagine going crazy over it would be too much. Hell, people will lose themselves over a delayed film release while going about their days with no concern for the horrible mass muder of war that is happening (not a political statement but a general comment). Sure, there are better things to worry about.
It's because release dates cut into our daily lives much more than genocide in Somalia does. That's the sad truth. That doesn't make us monsters, though. It's just that we feel we can do a little more about a film delay than serious sociopolitical (or economic, or environmental...) problems affecting the world.

Good points all around!

Apart from the horror scene I am one of those adults who refuse to grown up 100% (80%???) and as a result I am a big Harry Potter fan, I look forward to November when the next film comes ut on the big screen and I should imagine April or May 2009 on DVD, in both nstancies I'll be there!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You must have missed the story earlier this month that the film's release will be delayed until July 2009. Sorry, and welcome to the site.

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
I have to let you all know that I'm a total dork because Harry Potter is one of my favorite movies to watch......the books are also just as good as the movies!

Man I'm Upset About This, That Trailer Got Me Really Excited And Now It Got Pushed Back To Next Summer, That Upsets Me.

Can't wait. Harry Potter has always been my favorite icon, and now that the 6th movie is on its way, I couldn't be more excited.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
eh, the movies haven't always been too great =\ i'm not THAT excited

Registered Creature
The Half Blood Prince isn't a movie that's ever going to appear on my "Must-See List of Movies To Watch Next" list at all. Ever. (Not that I actually have such a list, but you know).

Just felt like putting it out there. Haha.