Clooney vs. Heston

Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by Hondo333
This is the first i have heard about the clooney remark so i can not make a full judgement, (Its likely to have been taken out of context). But i find do belive that Heston is a poor excuse for a human being, Feeding on public ignorace and taking adventages of natioanl Tragedy's, he is the perfect example of a typical right wing repiblican.

P.S
Sorry to hear about your grandpa Beale
A few minor points.....

A) It isn't taken out of context.

B) Heston is cool. Typical Right Wing republican? Maybe. That doesn't make him a poor excuse for a human being. I consider myself conservative on many issues. How do you feel he has taken advantage of the Nation's tragedy? (I believe, but am not sure, that you refer to 9/11.)

C) This all happened a LOOOOOONG time ago. How odd. I had almost forgotten that this thread existed.

D) Thanks about my Grandapa.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
If Clooney is so hot on gun control, he shouldn't do movies like From Dusk Til Dawn.....I am not debating gun control; however it is kind of sad actually how many movie posters will have a big star holding a big gun. I have nothing against owning or shooting guns or if they're employed well in a movie......it's just that IMO, the gun seems to be a cheap tool for empowering characters nowadays. Stick a gun in my grandmother's hand and she's a threat too--so what? Oh yeah, and while I'm at it---here's my plea to Hollywood:

Please, please, please....no more firing 2 uzis simultaneously with the arms crossed. It was ok in The Matrix, now it's stupid. Stop it.

Please, please, please....no more firing 2 uzis simultaneously with the arms crossed. It was ok in The Matrix, now it's stupid. Stop it.

I'm just waiting for the day "Hollywood" can shoot one uzi at something... and actually hit it....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I haven't really kept up with the aftermath of this. Did Clooney ever apologize later on? I like them both as screen personalities and probably on something resembling a personal level, at least in as much I've seen them "let their hair down". Clooney's a lot more mature now, so I'd be surprised if he was asked about it subsequently that he wasn't contrite. I'm also one of those persons who defends Heston as a good actor. Hell, I do it for Duck (He Sez!), so i'm sure going to do it for much-More-Than-Two-Buck-Chuck. (You won't get that last bit if you don't know about Trader Joe's biggest-selling "wine".

Semper Fooey
With regard to this ancient thread, yeah, Clooney's comments sure hurt his career and does anyone still think Clooney is just a celebrity and not an actor?

With regard to this ancient thread, yeah, Clooney's comments sure hurt his career and does anyone still think Clooney is just a celebrity and not an actor?
I think what I said was that if he didn't apologize it could hurt his career... but apparently it didn't... I still think Clooney was out of line... and hypocritical though...

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Umm, but Charlton Heston is an AWFUL actor....This does not make me dislike the man, since he is in quite a few of my favorite films, but let's face it. He's practically Shatnerian in his lack of acting ability. "It's a MAD HOUSE, A MAAAAAAD HOUUUUUUUUSSSE!!!!" (George Clooney is actually quite a good actor, if you ask me, but then again, he was on The Facts of Life. This one's pretty even, really...)

As for Charlton Heston being in a lot of ideologically conservative movies during his career, I don't see it. Planet of the Apes was making a case for Evolution as well as being a movie that makes a stand against racism and nuclear armament. not very conservative in my book. Neither was Soylent Green, a movie with a strong environmental message, or The Omega Man, yet another anti-nuke cautionary tale.

Heston is a pretty despicable character (Just watch Bowling for Columbine), but he's also a human being. I definitely think George Clooney should apologize.
This is a bit late, but I'm still not a huge fan of Clooney. He's never been a huge draw for me. I still see him as Fisher on "Roseanne." I do enjoy him in Solaris, O' Brother Where Art Thou, and Three Kings. He's also a bit entertaining in Out of Sight. I haven't watched anything he's been in, in the past three or four years though.

If Good Night, and Good Luck is any tell, I think I like him more as a director than an actor. Not a big fan of the Ocean films, and I find his overbearing political beliefs a bit pushy.

Same thing with Heston during his NRA stint, but I do enjoy watching Heston on screen far more than Clooney. I think of Heston as a classic actor, who albiet he plays himself in almost every film, has a great screen presence and is one of those great actors like John Wayne who seem real. They don't necessarily look like they're acting, even when they're over acting.

Great points about many of Heston's films not necessarily fitting into that conservative idealogy he's associated with.

As far as Michael Moore goes... that guy comes off as a major prick and selfish propagandist

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Less so today certainly, than when I posted that comment all of... seven years ago on the website!

But he did ride the coattails of "ER" for over a decade while finding his spot in Hollywood and the man does seem to be a modern celebrity in the sense of constantly being in the limelight by showing up on talk shows, interviews, magazine covers in the checkout isle, and so forth... that really hasn't change a whole lot in the seven years since I posted that comment. Again I do need to catch up on his filmography though as it looks like he's made some very respectable films in the past several years.