Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

'Involuntary' (2008)

Directed by Ruben Ostlund

Where to start. Awkward social situations, gender roles, dilemmas. Ostlund explores these and more in his films and really is a master at dissecting human behavioural traits. It's called 'Involuntary' because Ostlund looks at what decisions are made because we feel we should make them and which decisions we don't make....and ultimately why. There is suggestive camera work and themes that make us wonder if we'd own up to our own errors, however innocuous, or not.

The Groundwork for 'Force Majeure' and 'The Square' is all here. Ostlund is one of the most thought provoking directors working today.

Also a guy shoves a Swedish flagpole up his mate's arse, so there's that.

7.4/10

Predator (2018)
4/10.
This remake replaces suspense and mystery with laughs and adventure, completely de-mystifying the creature and making a joke out of the franchise.
Haven't seen it but I didn't like the sound of it. Nice to see Henry Jackman's still active — for me the best X-Men composer and it's so disappointing he only did one film.

Snooze factor = Z

Snooze factor = Zzzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

NEDS (Peter Mullan, 2010)
+
Confrontational, disrespectful and prone to violence - and that's just the teachers

Loved this.

So fascinating.

Re-watch of an excellent movie. (IIRC, @Citizen Rules likes this movie.) Only negative was lack of subtitles, which are badly needed.

Our Nixon - 10/10
There isn't a single movie I want to watch, and the ones I roll the dice on aren't good enough to even finish. I saw this before, but Nixon has been one of my big fascinations for many years.
I agree. Nixon was a fascinating guy. He did get us out of Vietnam; he opened up China to the West; and he was a master at foreign relations. He was pretty bad on domestic stuff. I think he really wasn't that interested. But the worst thing he did was to completely sever us from the gold standard.

I enjoyed the documentary. There was no new territory, and it was the typical "tsk, tsk" anti Nixon stuff; but it was interesting to see all the Super 8 candid footage of him and his colleagues.

~Doc

1st Re-watch...even better than I remembered...this is an extraordinary piece of filmmaking, one of the most deserving Best Picture and Best Director Oscar winners ever,,,Alejandro G. Iñárritu
We seem to have a diversity problem in the Best Director category. 5 of the last 6 winners have been Mexican. That seems like the opposite of diversity. Pretty homogeneous. Guess they won't start hashtags for that though. Hell 7 of the last 10 have been non white males. But what do I know. #SourGrapes

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I saw a little of Journeyman the other day – I'm talking minutes – and I didn't think it looked particularly well filmed. That's something I didn't find with Paddy Considine's earlier film Tyrannosaur but maybe there was more of an overt documentary-like look to that film whereas this one couldn't make its mind up.

Boldly going.
8.5/10.
I think I like the Donner cut slightly better. There's only minor differences, really, between the two.

Australia, Lex chose you!
Why can't I find a green glow stick that will give me Superman's powers?
Mob: "They killed Superman - Let's get 'em!" I have mixed emotions about this line - I don't know whether to laugh at the stupidity of it or cry at the heart-felt courage.

I still prefer this movie over Man of Steel. The battle sequences in particular seem better thought-out and succinct.

Joe Kidd (1972)

Like Clints stuff and this was right up there. A bit more than a one dimensional revenge storyline (Elmore Leonard) so we get to see the human failings as well as the positives.