Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

(although might be a 4 depending on my second viewing.)
A seemingly surface level rehash of past stories told in a profound manner.

Although it took a while to get going (like a lot), over time, it eventually evolved into something more deep and thematically rich. The last 18 minutes was simply amazing, especially in how well-directed it was. Bradley Cooper is superb in this.

Expect a lot of awards to fly in this film's direction.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Enemy (2013, Denis Villeneuve)

As is the case with Villeneuve's other film Arrival, the psychological/allegorical concept behind Enemy (loosely based on José Saramago's novel The Double) is really well done, but personally I enjoy this one a lot more. Some of the symbolism and nuances might escape you on first viewing, but once you crack it, it will all come together, and you will appreciate the idea even more. For myself I can say that the more it marinates in my mind, the more I'm intrigued by it.

DAAAMN. Bulletproof was probably the only movie I liked Adam Sandler.
This movie and Fast and Furious are one of my remembrances from my teenage years.

Everything about Badlands is good except the cinematography, which is excellent. The thing with Malick is I love the way his movies look but there is something just a wee bit off for me about his films (pacing?). It's kind of weird but sitting here thinking about it I may have liked it more than I thought. There really isn't a bad scene in the movie and that chase near the end... very well done. Gonna let a little time pass by and give it another go.

Not too good but watchable. Ok, a group of kids go to a campground to compete in a race with the winner receiving a $5,000 college scholarship. It has a side story about an evil pesticide company dumping barrels of toxic waste in the park (it's gotta go somewhere) and that's where the undercover bear comes in to play. Oscar worthy stuff similar to Erin Brockovich. In between the plot developments and musical montages its just a bunch of goofy characters, ranging from pre-teen to octogenarian, doing what people do at campgrounds (hooking up, getting naked, getting haircuts, etc). I had this running in the background while I was doing something else and eventually ended up sitting down to finish it. It's that bad. Everything truly awful about the 80's is on full display (guys, we really used to wear THOSE shorts?). Stars Kim Meyers (Freddy's Revenge) and has a cameo so embarrassingly bad that it's hilarious.

I gotta side with Gideon on Bulletproof. I remember watching it for the first time thinking Wayans and Sandler were hilarious in it...a couple days later, I realized it really wasn't that good.

Puzzle
(2018)

Directed by Marc Turtletaub
Writers: Oren Moverman, Polly Mann

The story line is a catchy idea: a shy woman discovers her virtuoso talent at jigsaw puzzles, and finds happiness participating in major tournaments along with her competition partner. Instead, after carefully developing the set up, the woman
WARNING: "mode" spoilers below
abandons her family, both her partner and jigsaws, and travels to Canada to find herself.

Despite a wind up that was surely the result of confusion over how to end the film, the unusual story premise held one’s interest for most of the movie. The acting was first rate, featuring a patented performance by Kelly MacDonald. She has played this exact type of role before, and brings it home again here. Unfortunately her character, which transforms from a mousy housewife to a liberated woman in the space of about an hour, didn’t wash. The erratic narrative exceeded its triteness.

Irrfan Kahn crafted a convincing charismatic performance as a wealthy recently divorced puzzle nut who is delighted and ultimately attracted by MacDonald’s character. David Denman provided a well done, if thankless, role of MacDonald’s old-fashioned clueless husband.

The liberated housewife theme is a bit long in the tooth in the English speaking world. The story would play much better in the setting of a third world country. And in fact this production was a remake of an Argentinian film called Rompecabezas, written by Natalia Smirnoff.

Still, Puzzle is a serious effort, earnestly made, and is enjoyable for its interesting approach.

Doc’s rating: 6/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	imageedit_1_5717055134.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	50053  

This movie and Fast and Furious are one of my remembrances from my teenage years.

It will still be making my list of favorite Adam Sandler performances

Welcome to the human race...
Hellraiser: Inferno -

now I just want a Bad Boys sequel where Pinhead shows up

I don't remember how much I actually liked Bulletproof as a whole but it sure had some funny scenes, like the one in the gif

You can't fight in here.This is the War room!
Creep 2 6/10

First Reformed 6/10

Only the Dead 8/10

Toc Toc 7/10

El bar 7/10

War Dogs 7/10

Searching 8/10

First Man 7/10

The Nun 4/10

Re-watch of an excellent movie. Julianne Moore stupendous.