2015 Mofo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
...Here we go again Mofos.

Last year the turn out was a little on the low side. So I'm starting this thread a bit earlier in the hopes of getting a few more people participating this year.

Same gig as last year. Again, if anyone has any suggestions for new categories, feel free to throw the suggestions here.

The DEADLINE for your nominations, which will be PM'd to me, is MARCH 1st. That gives everyone, the rest of this year and 2 months into the new year to watch some damn movies. After I receive nominations, I will tally them up and present to everyone the 2015 Mofo Film Award Nominees.

You can nominate, up to FIVE films per category. You don't need to nominate 5, it can be less, but no more. You DO NOT need to nominate, or vote in every category. Just the ones you want to.

Wikipedia is a good source for films released in 2015. If you have any doubt, ask, people will be glad to help out.

At that point you'll have an additional month to watch any of the nominated films, if you so please to.

The categories are:

Best Film of The Year

Worst Film of the Year

Best Director of the Year

Best Actor of the Year

Best Actress of the Year

Best Supporting Actor of the Year

Best Supporting Actress of the Year

Best Screenplay of the Year

Best Animated Film of the Year

Biggest Surprise of the Year

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Most Overrated Film of the Year

Most Memorable Scene of the Year

Best Trailer of the Year

Best Cast of the Year

Best Cinematography of the Year

Breakout Performance of the Year

Best Score

Best Visual Effects

Previous winners:

2013 Best Film of the Year : Gravity
2014 Best Film of the Year: Birdman

2013 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron
2014 Best Director of the Year: Alejandro González Iñárritu

Gravity and American Hustle took home 4 awards each in 2013 with Her and Wolf of Wall Street both taking home 2.

Last year saw Birdman take home 5 awards and Boyhood basically shut out of everything except Supporting Actress. Much like the Oscars that year.

What film will take the top spot this year? Will it be in line AGAIN with the Academy? So far both years have seen Best Director match up. Yet the Lead Actor category favours the non Oscar winners DiCaprio and Keaton.

Let me know your thoughts, and vote people!!!

Suspect's Reviews

I think the best films I've watched this year are Inside Out and Blackhat, I think they could get some support depending on who gets involved. Not seen that many films yet though. I liked The Martian, PTA's doc Junun was interesting, and I hated Jurassic World. I think the best of the year is still ahead for me. I wanna see The Hateful Eight, Youth, Sicario, The Revenant, Spectre, Bridge of Spies and many more foreign films too. Beasts of No Nation too, which is on Netflix.

Is P'tit Quinquin eligible for anything? I recently watched that, although it's 2014 on IMDb and also released as a mini-series on TV, I guess I'll have to check those Oscar eligibility sheets.

Seen barely anything this year but my favourite so far is Alex Gibneys doc Going Clear, and i wouldn't be surprised if it stayed that way. I'll also be a supporter of Inside Out if i feel i have seen enough to vote.

These are the only movies I've seen this year and only 2-3 of them are truly great ones. I'm sure I'll catch more by march next year, plus all the good ones come out right about now, so yeah...

Sicario
Inside Out
Vacation
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
Black Mass
Southpaw
Jurassic World
Insidious: Chapter 3
Maggie
Terminator Genisys
San Andreas
Mad Max: Fury Road
Everest
Home
Shaun the Sheep Movie
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Furious 7

I see Christoph Waltz is in Spectre,he's just great in everything.

...if anyone has any suggestions for new categories, feel free to throw the suggestions here.

The categories are:

Best Film of The Year

Worst Film of the Year

Best Director of the Year

Best Actor of the Year

Best Actress of the Year

Best Supporting Actor of the Year

Best Supporting Actress of the Year

Best Screenplay of the Year

Best Animated Film of the Year

Biggest Surprise of the Year

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Most Overrated Film of the Year

Most Memorable Scene of the Year

Best Trailer of the Year

Best Poster of the Year (if possible, describe which one)

Worst Poster of the Year (if possible, describe which one)

Best Cast of the Year

Best Cinematography of the Year

Breakout Performance of the Year

Best Score

Best Visual Effects
As you asked for category ideas....may I suggest there are all ready too many categories...some should be removed. Too many choices makes it harder, the harder it is the more likely people won't vote. I'd keep it simple.

This would also go better if the deadline was in the middle of next year. Some of us only watch films at Netfilx, Hulu, etc and many 2015 titles won't be realeased for months to come. It's hard to participate when we haven't seen many 2015 films.

Best film I've seen this year is the Martian, but I haven't seen Bridge of Spies, Sicario, or Steve Jobs yet.

Worst film of the year for me by far is the Vacation remake.

Really looking forward to the Revenant, The Hateful Eight, Spectre, Creed, and The Force Awakens. The good dinosaur looks charming as well.

This would also go better if the deadline was in the middle of next year. Some of us only watch films at Netfilx, Hulu, etc and many 2015 titles won't be realeased for months to come. It's hard to participate when we haven't seen many 2015 films.
Really? I feel the middle of next year makes the whole thing inconsequential as people are more focused on the films of that year and don't care about what has already passed or barely remember.

Really? I feel the middle of next year makes the whole thing inconsequential as people are more focused on the films of that year and don't care about what has already passed or barely remember.
I think it depends on who you are talking about. Personally i didn't feel i'd seen enough last year to vote, then again i think chances are i'd seen more than some of the voters.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Around this time last year, I hadn't seen a lot of movies from 2014, but I crammed a bunch of them in in the last couple of months. Hopefully I'll be able to do that again this year.

2015 is over folks. The films have all been released (save for maybe one or two going wider this month). Once all the noms are in (March 1st is the deadline), you'll have another month to watch whatever you haven't seen yet and get your votes in.

I hope to see more participation this year, there are certain people I know for a FACT, have seen a lot of films and decided not to participate last year. I hope that changes.

I decided to remove the Best & Worst Poster categories this year, Citizen mentioned that too many categories might deter people from voting. I believe these two had the least amount of nominations last year, so I've scrapped them.

Cheers.

Will Michael Keaton, who was nominated and won for Birdman last year, be nominated again this year for his work in Spotlight?

Will Leonardo DiCaprio who took home the award for Best Actor in Wolf of Wall Street have another statue with his turn in The Revenant?

Mad Max: Fury Road seemed to be popular with critics and audience members, but there seems to be a lot of vocal haters at mofo, will it earn a nomination this year?

Not all the films to be nominated will be winners, there are sure to be the best of the worst and biggest disappointment, two awards no film wants to 'win'. Will the much hated Fifty Shades of Grey earn the title for worst film? Or will it be something completely different? Only you can help decide the outcome.

No need to rush in with your nominations, you have until March 1st to get them in. Then, once the nominees are revealed, you have another month to watch anything you might have missed.

The Oscars might have the star power, but we have the mofos. Who wants to win an Oscar anyways, when you can have a Yodee???

lame title still, I know.

Will Leonardo DiCaprio who took home the award for Best Actor in Wolf of Wall Street have another statue with his turn in The Revenant?
Leo FTW !

Mad Max: Fury Road seemed to be popular with critics and audience members, but there seems to be a lot of vocal haters at mofo, will it earn a nomination this year?
"Mad Max: Fury Road" is love it or hate it movie.