Finally: Star Trek Remastered on DVD

Tools    

Beware The Probe!
This was awesome news to me.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=1&id=42811

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...e/2303263.html

November 20th is a bit away but I'll definately be buying this set.
I've seen several of the remastered episodes since they began airing them last September but usually missed them since they were only on select stations at specific times.

I know people were afraid of another 'Lucas Special Edition' kinda thing but they've been nothing like what was done with Star Wars since the changes made were very subtle and sometimes you wouldn't even notice unless, like me, you'd seen all the classic episodes a billion times each.

I also think it's cool that they're releasing them this way (double-sided) to appease both regular and HD DVD collectors.
Also, they have bonus content!
I'm glad they're not trying to scam fans by releasing things in separate sets with extras added.

Interesting, not sure if this is going to take away some of it's charm. Was watching some last night on TV and was thinking how i liked it's 60s look and difference to TNG....

Beware The Probe!
Interesting, not sure if this is going to take away some of it's charm. Was watching some last night on TV and was thinking how i liked it's 60s look and difference to TNG....
The thing of it is, that they haven't gone full 21st Century on the CGI they added in.
They wanted it to look as the best it could have been with a better budget than they had back then.
It does look like a spiffy '60s series without the same stock footage used in every episode.

Also, the Klingons still look like the originsl 60s Klingons without ridges although Roddenberry wanted more back then but couldn't afford it.
It's just tweaked with better picture and sound quality with some better special effects.

I found myself watching several episodes and seeing only up to 10-20 seconds of new stuff thinking, "That was it...? That could have looked SOOOOO much better than that...but it was still nice."

See, i liked the first set in your last post since it was still a kinda 60s aesthetic, but didn't like the last one. For a show so grounded in the 60s with its ideology and unsubtle cold war messages etc, seems that some of the modernising makes more a juxtaposition. Even though it's been done better than some from the look of it, i'll take originals. Though i can imagine my opinion would change when the alterations havn't been highlighted and i can watch a whole episode.

Beware The Probe!
I, personally don't have a problem with them remastering the series because it's fun to try and spot the changes but there are alot of people who were adamantly against such a project but weren't too bothered by the light touch-ups here and there.

From the few episodes I have seen, I think the Doomsday Machine episode probably has the most obvious changes to it and I doubt anyone could watch it without noticing the changes.

The giant planet-eater looks almost too CGI for the '60s but it is done at a level that makes it look less than what it could look like if they went ahead full on what could be done with today's technology.

In that same episode, they also put a little too much detail in the USS Constellation's battle-damaged saucer section that makes it look retouched as well.

Overall, though I'm pretty happy with what I've seen, I wouldn't have minded even more extreme re-touching done but for now it has me excited to watch the original series all over again.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I'm watching these, not on DVD, but through Netflix streaming and they look quite good.

I'm impressed with how good the original series is/was. I've only seen the original crew in all the Star Trek movies, but never in the series. So it is very cool watching these old episodes and finding out how cerebral they really were and what interesting ideas they had.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201