The DC Cinematic Universe

Tools    

Here's the rundown of the next 5 years worth of DC movies that are to compete with the recent Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU):

Man Of Steel (2013)
Henry Cavill (Superman)
Amy Adams (Lois Lane)
-
Batman Vs Superman (2016)
Ben Affleck (Batman)
Henry Cavill (Superman)
Jessie Eisenberg (Lex Luthor)
Jeremy Irons (Alfred Pennyworth)
Amy Adams (Lois Lane)
Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman)
Jason Momoa (Aquaman)
Ray Fisher (Cyborg)
Jared Leto (The Joker) (rumoured)
-
Suicide Squad (2016)
Jared Leto (The Joker)
Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn)
Jai Courtney (Captain Boomerang)
Will Smith (Deadshot)
Cara Delavingne (Enchantress)
Joel Kinnaman or Jay Hernandez (Rick Flag)
-
Wonder Woman (2017)
Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman)
-
Justice League Part 1 (2017)
Ben Affleck (Batman)
Henry Cavill (Superman)
Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman)
Jason Momoa (Aquaman)
Ray Fisher (Cyborg)
Ezra Miller (The Flash)
Amy Adams (Lois Lane)
-
The Flash (2018)
Ezra Miller (The Flash)
-
Aquaman (2018)
Jason Momoa (Aquaman)
-
Shazam (2019)
Dwayne The Rock Johnson (Black Adam)
-
Justice League Part 2 (2019)
Ben Affleck (Batman)
Henry Cavill (Superman)
Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman)
Jason Momoa (Aquaman)
Ray Fisher (Cyborg)
Ezra Miller (The Flash)
Amy Adams (Lois Lane)
Dwayne The Rock Johnson (Black Adam) (possible)
-
Cyborg (2020)
Ray Fisher (Cyborg)
-
Green Lantern (2020)
Movie confirmed, but cast is yet unknown

So... there it is... Marvel's competition over the next few years.

I'm certainly surprised at Jared Leto getting the Joker gig.
I had a think about who would make a good Joker for a while, even made a thread on casting The Justice League and Leto didn't even cross my mind.

He'll make a contemporary Joker for sure.

It's also interesting to see Ezra Miller as The Flash.

A lot of people were expecting Scooty McTooty to play him after he was seen with green stockings over his legs in BvS.

They're definitely going for a younger JL... Batman being older, Superman already established, Aquaman being pretty dark, Wonder Woman being a skinny waif... the rest are young.

There's a very contemporary and Avant-Guard feel to this and I'm liking it more and more with each piece of news that crops up.

I hated the ideas behind MOS when I was reading about them... but seeing the film, I fell for it and enjoyed it and have been enjoying it more each time I've seen it.
I was very dubious about Momoa as Aquaman too, but seeing the pictures recently have sparked my curiosity.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Jared Leto is pitch-perfect casting for The Joker: probably the only person that I can think of who can live up to Heath Ledger's impossible standard.

The Suicide Squad is without a doubt my most anticipated of their lineup of films. David Ayer is the perfect director for the job (especially coming off of Fury, which is about as unflinchingly dark and grittily unromantic as you would want with the project), Will Smith and Margot Robbie have absurdly good chemistry together (if the less than stellar Focus is any indication) and the entire cast looks amazing. If it's even half as good as the animated film, I'll be beyond pleased with it.

rumors hawkgirl and hawkman will appear in wonder woman sequel

If they aim for a darker style like I've heard they are, this could definitely be a lot better than the Marvel films. The Marvel films are afraid to even kill a main character, or any character on-screen other than an occasional villain or lowly henchman.

^Better, maybe. More fun, no.
I found the Dark Knight films both of the above.

The Marvel films (with the exception of Robert Downey Jr.) don't stand out in any way to me. A film doesn't have to be 'serious' to be enjoyable, but it needs to stand out in some way - rather than just follow every predictable and 'safe' plot convention that's been done in countless other films.

Not to mention, while I've never read the comics - I got the impression that the comic storylines are a lot more on the 'serious' side anyway - and that movie and TV incarnations are pretty sanitized in comparison.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
I don't read the comics either but I agree about The Dark Knight. The problem I have with DC's grim'n'gritty movies is that none of their films has come close to being as good as TDK. Batman Begins is second best in my opinion but falls short of Knight, Rises is decent, and Man of Steel is awful. Given how many movies DC has in the pipeline, some of them are bound to be at least decent, but Marvel's films are consistently better in my book. I'd rank even their weaker ones like Iron Man 2 or The Incredible Hulk well above Man of Steel.

I don't read the comics either but I agree about The Dark Knight. The problem I have with DC's grim'n'gritty movies is that none of their films has come close to being as good as TDK. Batman Begins is second best in my opinion but falls short of Knight, Rises is decent, and Man of Steel is awful. Given how many movies DC has in the pipeline, some of them are bound to be at least decent, but Marvel's films are consistently better in my book. I'd rank even their weaker ones like Iron Man 2 or The Incredible Hulk well above Man of Steel.
I'd be willing to give them a second chance after Man of Steel (though I haven't seen it yet). If Batman vs. Superman is a bomb then that'd probably seal the deal for me.

I already burned out on the Marvel films after seeing the huge praise for Avengers and being underwhelmed - wasn't a bad movie, but none of the Marvel films I've seen try to do anything original. The exception is RDJ who's Tony Stark character is really well done.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
I see your point but I don't usually go to superhero movies for amazing plots or anything. If a superhero film like TDK does manage to have a excellent story then that's great but in general I just to want to kick back and watch some goofy action and funny one liners for a couple hours and Marvel delivers on that much better than DC. That said, I am getting pretty tired of superhero flicks in general and skip most of them regardless of whether they're form Marvel, DC, Fox, or whatever.

This might just do nobody any good.
There’s no way this turns out good.

Ava DuVernay will direct The New Gods

http://deadline.com/2018/03/ava-duve...mpression=true

For those who don’t know, The New Gods are basically DC comics’ Star Wars. It’s where Justice League’s villain, Stappenwolf, and would-be villain, Darkseid (DC’s Thanos (though I think Darkseid came first but we’re strictly talking movies here)) came from. The cast of characters is quite large and diverse and this could (but likely won’t) be a mesmerizing space opera.

All dissent aside, it’s nice to know that Ava is mainting momentum in light of A Wrinkle in Time’s lukewarm reception.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I like all those actors but not being a comic fan I'll just take each movie as it comes.

I'm sorry but with Marvel having 18 films under their belt already and most of them draw in a far larger box office.. I'm still happy with Marvel..

NOW DISNEY GET YOUR SH*T TOGETHER AND MAKE ME SOME GREAT X-MEN FILMS!

This might just do nobody any good.
Gotham City Sirens/Birds of Prey/Harley Quinn gets a director in newcomer Cathy Yan.

Yan got the job over numerous well established male directors...

Despite being a new talent, Yan’s presentation for Birds of Prey was exceptional, and Robbie held firm to her desire for this film to be directed by a woman.
This is expected to start shooting by the end of the year.

https://deadline.com/2018/04/harley-...on-1202365866/