2017 Mofo Television Awards - The Nominations

Tools    

"Luck don't live out here."

Hello boys and girls...

TheUsualSuspect runs the Mofo Film Awards every year, which is pretty cool, and I thought it would be neat if there was a TV version as well. This will be run very similarly to the film version, with a couple of obvious differences.

In the same vein as the Mofo Film Awards, this is a chance for all of us to come together and select what we think deserves to get recognized in the world of television this year. Hopefully quite a few of you participate.

The deadline for nominations is March 3rd.

You have to PM me your nominations. Do not post them in this thread.

Watch (and re-watch) as many shows as you can, and PM me your list of nominations before the deadline. You'll then have a whole month to catch up on any nominations you haven't seen (although this may be a bit difficult considering it's TV, but it is what it is), as voting will stay open until April 3rd.

- 5 nominations are allowed for each category, but you are not required to nominate 5 for every category.

- You can change your nominations all the way up to the deadline.

- Keep your Most Memorable Scene nomination rather vague and make sure to include the show.

- Make sure to include what show your Best Episode nomination is from.

- Do not post your nominations in this thread. You can campaign for your picks if you'd like to, though.

List of Categories:

Best TV Drama Show of the Year

Best TV Comedy/Musical Show of the Year

Best TV Animated Show of the Year

Best TV Reality Show of the Year

Best TV Limited Series of the Year

Best TV Documentary Series of the Year

Worst TV Show of the Year

Best TV Actor of the Year

Best TV Actress of the Year

Best TV Supporting Actor of the Year

Best TV Supporting Actress of the Year

Best Cast of the Year

Best Episode of the Year

Best TV Show Intro (Opening Credits) of the Year

Most Memorable Scene of the Year

Best Cinematography of the Year

If you have any suggestions for other categories you'd like to see added, let me know.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Stupid question just to be clear, is this only for tv shows that aired this year? I'm in either way but I'll probably only nom shows that aired this year as it is; not sure why I even thought this.

Stupid question just to be clear, is this only for tv shows that aired this year? I'm in either way but I'll probably only nom shows that aired this year as it is; not sure why I even thought this.
Yup, only shows that aired in 2017.

Thanks very much. I'm in.

You're a go getter. 12 days here and already a host. Good for you, Grant.

Best TV SHOW INTRO. I s that Opening Credits? If so, yeah I think these need to be included in the awards nowadays. Mini shows in themselves. Do we include a link in the list to you or add them prior to voting? I've never done an award show on mofo before.

This might just do nobody any good.
There’s a clear winner for most memorable scene of the year for me.

Everything else, though...

Is Best Documentary Series the same as Best Reality Series, or is that a separate category?
Best Documentary Series is more like Blue Planet 2, The Vietnam War, The Keepers, etc. I didn't really plan on including a Best Reality Series, although I suppose I could...

Best TV SHOW INTRO. I s that Opening Credits? If so, yeah I think these need to be included in the awards nowadays. Mini shows in themselves. Do we include a link in the list to you or add them prior to voting? I've never done an award show on mofo before.
Yup, the intro category is for the opening credits of the show. You can include a link if you so choose, but just naming the show is enough.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Best Documentary Series is more like Blue Planet 2, The Vietnam War, The Keepers, etc. I didn't really plan on including a Best Reality Series, although I suppose I could...

That's what I thought you meant by Best Documentary Series. That why I asked.

Are you going to add a category for Best Reality Series for shows like Survivor, The Voice, etc.?

Thanks again. I can probably have my list in by boxing day. What is the prize? TUS always sends a really good one so I think you should as well.

Gratuitous nudge before it falls off the page. Another silly question - if I dont like a tv show or the thought of it I either dont watch it at all or I dump it, so if I havent even watched a season, or dumped it after 15 minutes, how am I going to vote for the worst in good faith - is that basically a category for hate watchers? I dont think I've hate watched a show this year.

OK not really important but I just wanted to bump the thread. Putting 2017 shows that I have watched here so I dont forget any. This is not my nomination list but just a memory peg so I can add to them if I've forgotten any..

The Crown
Westworld
Ozark
AHS
The Night of
About to start Berlin Station and want to binge the season before putting in noms
Same for Manhunt:Unabomber and The Vietnam War
GOT
Feud
Better Call Saul
American Gods
Stranger Things season 2

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
QUESTION:

Shows usually air in September and then bleed into the following year. Are we only able to include the episodes that aired in 2017, which is going to be the first half of some seasons and the second half of others, or can we nominate episodes from the SEASON, even if it aired in the later half of the previous year.

Example:

Kevin Can Wait premiered in September of 2016. Aired 12 episodes in that year, then continued to air episodes into 2017, the remaining 12.

Are we allowed to nominate any episode from that season, or can we only do the later 12. Keep in mind, the first half of season 2 did the exact same thing. Airing the first 12 episodes in September of 2017, with the remaining 12 airing in 2018.

Just want clarification if it's limited to the year date, or the season for that year.

Suspect's Reviews

My 2017 Watched List:

Nathan For You
The Night Of
The Americans
Rick and Morty
South Park
Twin Peaks
Big Little Lies
Riverdale
The Good Place
American Vandal
Mindhunter

Think that's it, still more than i expected. Also watched the first few episodes of Ozark and the first of Better Call Saul. Doubt i'll go back to Ozark but i most likely will Better Call Saul. Mr Robot and Master of None are two 2017 shows i'm going to try to see before the deadline as i liked their previous seasons alot.

QUESTION:

Shows usually air in September and then bleed into the following year. Are we only able to include the episodes that aired in 2017, which is going to be the first half of some seasons and the second half of others, or can we nominate episodes from the SEASON, even if it aired in the later half of the previous year.

Example:

Kevin Can Wait premiered in September of 2016. Aired 12 episodes in that year, then continued to air episodes into 2017, the remaining 12.

Are we allowed to nominate any episode from that season, or can we only do the later 12. Keep in mind, the first half of season 2 did the exact same thing. Airing the first 12 episodes in September of 2017, with the remaining 12 airing in 2018.

Just want clarification if it's limited to the year date, or the season for that year.

People may or may not agree with this, but I think shows like the first season from your example should be eligible for nominations, both the season and all of the individual episodes. If the season started in 2017 and is still going to air in 2018, please refrain from nominated any of the episodes or the season. It's a weird situation, but I think that's the best solution.

Basically, if a season started in 2016 and ended in 2017, all episodes as well as the season are eligible to be nominated. If the season started in 2017 and will end in 2018, the show will be eligible for the NEXT Mofo Television Awards (assuming there is one). So don't nominate it for this year's awards.

Gratuitous nudge before it falls off the page. Another silly question - if I dont like a tv show or the thought of it I either dont watch it at all or I dump it, so if I havent even watched a season, or dumped it after 15 minutes, how am I going to vote for the worst in good faith - is that basically a category for hate watchers? I dont think I've hate watched a show this year.

OK not really important but I just wanted to bump the thread. Putting 2017 shows that I have watched here so I dont forget any. This is not my nomination list but just a memory peg so I can add to them if I've forgotten any..

The Crown
Westworld
Ozark
AHS
The Night of
About to start Berlin Station and want to binge the season before putting in noms
Same for Manhunt:Unabomber and The Vietnam War
GOT
Feud
Better Call Saul
American Gods
You don't have to nominate shows or even vote for the Worst Show of the Year award if you haven't watched a show that you highly dislike, or if you haven't seen any of the nominations. It'll probably be the category with the lowest amount of noms/votes, to be honest.