The War on T.V.

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
If you haven't yet checked out the thread"If THIS doesn't freak you out.." in this forum, I'd advise you to do so. The reason being that the war will be televised, and the images you see in the video will be common among the images you see on your favorite news station. But will you watch?

Journalist are already scrambling to get their camera people together so they can be the first ones in Iraq. As soon as the first bullet is fired, you can be sure it will appear on T.V.

But reporters aren't just going to be in hotel rooms reporting to the world about the war. No, they want to be--and probably will be--at the front lines, shooting video of death and destruction as it happens.

My questions to you are: Do you think it's a good idea to televise this war, if and when it happens?

Are you going to watch? Why?

If you have children, what will you tell them?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally posted by r3port3r66
My questions to you are: Do you think it's a good idea to televise this war, if and when it happens?
Yes. More information is a good thing, I think. We can only be helped by educating ourselves, for the most part, no matter how brutal the facts of the situation might be.

I am having a nervous breakdance
It's always good to get as much information as possible and as exact information as possible, but most importantly, as much impartial information as possible. And impartial information will hardly even exist in a war situation like the one we'll soon have, I'm afraid. The News will be The Propaganda.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I think to a degree it will be good because we do need to get as much information as we can and I will watch some of it… what I dread (besides the war period) are all the so-called “analyst” all the major networks will drag out…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Informing an audience about war, civilian casualties and alternatives to war is what being a war correspondent is all about. It makes him or her merely responsible to a readership who is entitled to make their own informed moral and political decisions........Where would we be without this???
Journalists have their hands tied behind their backs and are warned that providing the whole story without patriotic cues can undermine the unity essential for a successful war effort.......But glossing over the "details" and unifying the public behind an simplistic world view is a task best left to politicians...NOT Journalists............So hopefully.......red tape and being politically correct can be a thing of the past and let the viewer or reader get the full story they are entitled to get............

hahaha........where is freedom of speech for Journalists......??

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Well said, Nikki.
Information should be provided to the world but what's to say that it won't be biased to the country that it's being programmed from? We should form our own opinions from what we see and hear.

Originally posted by Nikki

where is freedom of speech for Journalists......??

I thoroughly believe in freedom of speech… but sometimes journalists in their zeal to exercise that freedom can and do unknowingly put soldiers/civilians lives on the line more so than they already are by reporting something before they should…