"The Crow" Reboot

Tools    

Casting For ‘The Crow’ Reboot Has Begun

Ever since it was announced that Blade director, Stephen Norrington, was going to be writing and directing a reboot of The Crow franchise, there’s been speculation as to what shape his take on the classic comic and film character would be. At the time Norrington’s attachment was announced, it was revealed that the new version wouldn’t be, “gloriously gothic or stylized,” and this upset quite a few people who consider stylized goth to be the essence of The Crow story.

Norrington’s version is said to be, “realistic, hard-edged and mysterious,” which sounds like they’re trying to emulate the reboot success of Batman Begins with more brutality.

It was recently announced that the latest draft of Norrington’s Crow has been well received by studio Relativity Media, so much so that the project is reportedly going to fly into production. One of the big questions hovering over the film is who will step in and fill The Crow’s shoes, which is a tall order considering the great job the late Brandon Lee did in 1994 with Alex Proyas cult film, before Lee was tragically killed during filming (we’ll try and forget about subsequent portrayals of the character, shall we?).

Thanks to io9, casting is already firmly being thought about: at a press conference for the drama Brothers, producer Ryan Kavanaugh spoke about casting for The Crow.

Although he obviously couldn’t talk specifics about The Crow casting, Kavanaugh did say that they’ve got good ideas about it. When asked whether they’re looking for actors for the titular role, Kavanaugh said:

“We’re looking. We’re in discussions… I think it’s something cool, we’re approaching it differently. It’s really a whole relaunch of the franchise, much more of a dark superhero type.

It will be an actor you’ve heard of, yes. We’re not ruling anything out. We’re looking at both, with the very well known and the “very talented but they may not be quite there yet.”
Kavanaugh also went on to reveal that this version of The Crow will still have the black-and-white make-up, but it will be different to what we’ve seen before. He confirmed suspicions of trying to be like Batman Begins, by saying it’s the best way to think of this new Crow relaunch, “in terms of the look and feel of the character.” He said overall they’re sticking to the flavor of the dark and gritty world we know, but are, “relaunching it and making it with a much more present day character, someone more relatable to everybody.

Lastly, Kavanaugh assured us that the script is finished (minor tweaks aside) and that it is definitely a reboot and NOT a remake of the cult ’90s film. Although it’s going to be a tough job for Norrington to keep the gritty and dark atmosphere without it just seeming like a rip-off of Alex Proyas’ film. Here's hoping the side of Norrington we see shining through in his direction of The Crow is reminiscent of Blade and not of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

There’s no official word on when The Crow reboot will hit theaters, but it’s estimated to be sometime in 2011.

Source: Screenrant

I have a bad feeling about this...
Of course you do, Iro. The first one just about kept the right side of decent, but I doubt any of the sequels are any good (I've not seen them) and there's little reason to think this reboot will be any different.

Welcome to the human race...
Of course you do, Iro. The first one just about kept the right side of decent, but I doubt any of the sequels are any good (I've not seen them) and there's little reason to think this reboot will be any different.
I'll say. I'm not the biggest fan of the film, but it was very much an open-and-shut story that didn't need a sequel at all. The reboot looks like it's shaping up to be even worse, especially with the producer's claims that he wants to make The Crow into a "dark superhero franchise". Also, his claims about making the character "more relatable to everybody" ring very badly. Not to mention making it "gritty and realistic" when it's a story about an invincible ghost...oy gevalt.

It'd be interesting to see them attempt to make a more direct adaptation of the source graphic novel instead, even though the novel's not that good either.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm willing to give Norrington another shot.

Suspect's Reviews

OH! Why!?

The original not only does not need re-doing (and call me a soppy sod, but I feel uneasy about directly re-making, and maybe replacing, a film that its star died to make) but in a way they have already tried to re-boot it via the basically unconnected/different actors/different Crow characters in the sequels (always known as sequels though by the way)....and they have the dubious legacy of being some of the worst bunch of sequels ever!

Just watch the original and move...on...

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
There is NO need for this at all The Crow is an awesome film.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Thread here

And yes, no need for a reboot.

The original not only does not need re-doing ... but in a way they have already tried to re-boot it via the basically unconnected/different actors/different Crow characters in the sequels (always known as sequels though by the way)....
That's true, but they hadn't 'discovered' the reboot back then, so they had to call them sequels. Now they have a new marketing term... I mean, a fresh way of representing new talent and giving 'treasured' films a new 'slant' or 'meaning', making them more 'relevant' for today's audience....

Man, I could do this job in my sleep.

Oh good, most everybody is already shitting on this idea. I absolutely love, love, love the original and I may even start my own mini crusade against this. I have mad skills, so I'm sure I can pull it off.

They have had their fun with sequels, they should stop before it's to late.

Anarchist within reason
This is a bad idea. The original Crow is one of my favourite movies.

Who are the director's linked to it? PLEASE NOT MICHAEL BAY!!!!!

Can you imagine it? Shia Lebouf as the Crow, Megan Fox as his murdered girlfriend... TYRESE GIBSON... AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

Wow I think the first is a really cool movie, but maybe we should hold off on judging the reboot until we see it, could be good could be bad, time will tell.

The Crow is one of my favorite movies if not my favorite. Of course the CGI was a little cheesy but the story was great. The timing was great. I think the one thing that really makes it poignant is that Brandon Lee died. I think rebooting it is a disservice.. Just leave it alone.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
A near 15-year jump and the film is now coming out June 7, 2024 with Bill Skarsgard as Eric Draven, directed by Rupert Sanders.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/b...te-1235918869/