One Movie A Day Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If I don't see a review for The Changeling in them, I may cry. Is that really what you want, Suspect!?!

Hell, with my luck, you'll hate it. Although, after some of the crap you've been watching, I won't feel too bad about that.
I could tell you right now if I watched it or not....but then where would the fun be in that?

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Aside from maybe The Thing, I think Candyman is the best film you've reviewed so far from October. I thought that Bernard Rose's visuals and sound were really pumped up. Every time I rewatch Candyman, I get this feeling that I'll think less of it, but it just never happens. (My rating for it is
.)

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
wow, i am sorry i missed this thread! its a pretty cool idea, and i'll try to keep up with you. may i add a film to your list? well, you might have already seen it and if you have, i'll give you another [i don't want to overload you or anything], but i'd like to see your thoughts on Muriels Wedding!

Welcome to the human race...
What's the matter with Day? Zombies didn't run fast enough for you?

Welcome to the human race...
:/

If you're going to rail against some of our favourite horror movies, you'd better name five of your favourites in order to establish just how much credibility you have in this manner.

DAY 46: October 16th, 2008.

REC

If you haven't heard of this film, you may have heard of the Americanized counterpart, Quarantine. REC is the Spanish 'inspiration' for Quarantine. Or however you want to look at it. Both films play out essentially the same with tweaks here and there.

What makes REC a better movie then Quarantine? Aside from the fact that it came out first and is scarier. It's the cast that makes this film work. The film is shot on a hand held camera, much like Blaire Witch Project and Cloverfield. Now what made those two films work is the same thing that made this film work, it's also the same thing that made Quarantine NOT work. The cast is basically unknown.

If you want a more realistic tone in a film that basically requires the audience to believe that it's real, you can't have Tom Cruise running around in the film, or in Quarantine's case, Jay Hernandez.

REC is a well done horror film, the atmosphere is claustrophobic and it works. The use of the crappy camera indeed adds to the experience. I guess what you really want to know is if you will get 'motion sickness' from the shaky camera. Well, I never experienced this, nor did I experience it in Cloverfield or Blair Witch Project, but I suppose it will annoy some people. Although, it's not AS bad as Cloverfield. Since the character in that film was a run of the mill citizen, and in here it's a professional camera person.

It has some good scares and some scary moments. I enjoyed this more then Quarantine. Both films play out almost exactly the same, so if you've seen one you've seen the other. The ending is different though, and I prefer this one rather then the new one. If you really want to see both, go ahead, but if you had to pick one, I would suggest this one.

It has subtitles though....and I know that may put off some people, especially in a horror film in which you lose some of the tension, because you have to read what's going on and might miss some of the scary bits.

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
Aside from maybe The Thing, I think Candyman is the best film you've reviewed so far from October. I thought that Bernard Rose's visuals and sound were really pumped up. Every time I rewatch Candyman, I get this feeling that I'll think less of it, but it just never happens. (My rating for it is
.)
Wow. I just watched Candyman and I found it to be one of the worst films I've ever seen. I was never scared, though the beginning had one or two creepy moments, the Candyman himself was not scary in the least, and I spent most of my time laughing. I'd never willfully watch it again.

well there, you see, you did get something positive out of it!
It wasn't good laughing. It was "God make it stop" and "Did they do that on purpose?" laughing.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
that was my lame attempt at a joke.

well, i agree that Candyman himself wasn't really very scary. but i think the fact that you don't see Candyman hardly at all for the first half of the film is what was so chilling about it. i really was creeped out, by the way--i was being serious. Candyman is probably up there with one of my favorite horror movies made in the last twenty years.

Alright, I'm not bashing your opinion, and I do remember the first half being a bit creepy (as well as quite tedious). I also think there were a bit too many fake scares. It ended up ruining the tension.

DAY 47: October 17th, 2008.

CUBE

I love this film, I simply cannot get enough of it.

7 people wake in an enclosed cube, with a door on each side leading to another cube. Some of these cubes have traps in them. Can these 7 people survive long enough to find salvation?

I love the concept and the team behind this film prove that you do not need a lot of money to make a great film, just passion. (side tidbit of info, the cost to re-dub the audio was more then the entire budget of the film).

I love the ambiguity of this film, later to be ruined by the sequel/prequels. You never get any outside contact with anyone. You're stuck in this prison with the characters. With great use of colour, the filmmakers have created a sense of endless rows of hell and torture, when in reality there was really only one or two sets.

The tension in this film is great, specifically the scene in which the trap is activated by sound. For films like this, it always gets my thinking about how I would react in this certain situation. I applaud films that make me think this way, it gets me engaged.

There was no other way to end this film then the way they did and I was so happy they did it. Reading about the alternate ending and if they had thrown that it, I don't know if I could like this film as much as I do.

I recommend this film to anyone looking for a good sci/fi flick. I watched it because it does have it's horror elements. The deaths are more gruesome then your run of the mill horror flicks these days. Just watch the first 5 minutes and you'll know what I'm talking about.