Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
This may be kinda out of now where, but I think ROTK will get best picture. This of course, unless some major huge great movie comes along other than it. But come on, the first two have already been nominated, the third is reportedly twice those two combined. You do the math. Also, Fellowship was robbed. I mean come on, A Beautiful Mind?

A Beautiful Mind, is a powerful dramatic piece, which deserved all it got. ROTK may get best picture but how can you really say something like that based on something you personally havent seen? Dont always rely on the words of the reports. Now its only 200 odd days before it comes out and im ready for it, I say!

A beautiful mind was really good, don't get me wrong. It is also the exact type of film I'd expect to win best pic. But, debate me all you want, it is nothing in comparison it the lord of the rings. No contset. All I'm saying is there were a lot of good movies out this year. Three or four were contenders to make the best picture oscar nominatino list. All were bumped off by a fantasy movie. What possible motive would they have for this if they weren't plannig to award ROTK with the big prize next year?

Get off my island
I have big doubts it will win this year. I suspect very heavily that the academy will favour Martin Scorsese, especially considering the lengthy gestation period of Gangs of New York I also believe though that ROTK has a very good chance of winning next year, which I look to with trepidation, because I have a feeling it will be slightly disappointing; depending on how the ending is handled that is; because in the book, after a high, it suddenly got dredged with six chapters of going home after the whole point of the book had already passed.

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

I don't think it will be an unsatisfactory ending. Jackson has removed the scouring of the Shire, and I think that the trip home will be done very quickly, so as that the ending comes not long after the climax. I for one am greatly looking forward to the anticlimax of the trilogy. I think that the final moment of the book is beautifully understated. If Peter Jackson pulls it off on film with the right amount of calm and finality [and with Sean Astin] it will be a beautiful ending, a beautiful moment.

I think Return Of The King and Peter Jackson will clean up next year. Fellowship was brilliant and The Two Towers was excellent, but they're both without endings, and it would be awkward if Fellowship won Best Picture last year, and then Towers didn't, or vice versa. I don't know why, by it just feels awkward. In honouring the final film of the three, the Academy is in fact honouring all of the pictures at once. People are saying that next year will be like a Lifetime Achievment show dedicated to Jackson alone, and with good reason, and I tend to agree.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread... but rather than start a new one....

WARNING: "ROTK" spoilers below

I'm both nervous and excited about this movie. How can PJ fit in everything?

In EW I saw a clip of the ROTK video game and it had someone that looked like Aragorn battling some kind of troll on a battlement.... The black gates of mordor? I don't know. But nothing like that was in the books.

How are they going to fit the end in? Look at what they have to cover:

The end of Saruman (why it was left out of the second movie I'll never know).

The whole thing with the palantir and Merry or Pippin (I forget which one).

The whole knight thing with Merry and Pippin (which is probably not going to be in it).

All the political stuff going on in Gondor. The massive battle at Minas Tirith (didn't it last a couple days... much longer than the one night at Helm's Deep)

Undoubtedly unnecessary extra stuff with elves.... its like they designed the elven costumes and now are determined to get alot of use out of them. Let it go. Still Arwen will probably bring Narsil to Aragorn before the movie ends.

The end of the battle at Minas Tirith, the return of the king, the march to the black gates.

Then we can talk about Frodo.

Shelob, the death of Frodo, the capture of Frodo, Sam and the ring, (all of which before they actually enter Mordor) then the whole bloody trip through Mordor and finally the scene

This is assuming that the movie quickly ends when the ring is destroyed.

I don't see how they can do it, especially with unnecessary elven crap, and I don't see how they can afford to cut anything out.

They especially need to tell the entire Frodo/Sam story. The death of Frodo and Sam's use of the ring are pivotal for the drama towards the end. That section after the Shelob fight is one of the most important in the book.

They also obviously need to have something for Aragorn and the rest to do, so they can't skimp on the battle.

I think that perhaps they'll skip the black gates march and have the ring be destroyed during the battle for Minas Tirith.

Also does anyone else think it was stupid that they have a fake death for Aragon in TTT? There is now going to be one fake death per movie and I think it will seem played (like Austin Power's radar gag). Its a shame too because the Frodo death is in my opinion the most important one. If it there was one thing PJ seriously dropped the ball on it was this.

Anyone hear anything about the trailer?

This movie is definitely going to rock!

AWESOME!!

I cannot wait for this f*ckin movie. To see the battle of all battle's that, to paraphrase PJ, will make Helm's Deep look like a walk in the park.

*Looks at calander to see how far December is......*

- Crow

"C'mon..."
"No...no John."
"C'mon...."
"No...no...no John"
"I'll drive."
"Ok."

-Stripes

Jackson has always said that this is his favorite installment. After looking back at the other two, I can only wonder.....

And on the three faked deaths thing, who had a faked death in the first one? (Are you refering to when Frodo got stabbed?)

Oh well. Why didn't they off Saruman anyway? Will they save him for the end of III? If they kill him off in the early stages of III, it kinda messes up his character. I mean, he is one of the characters that demands a finale. Oh well. We'll see.

This is a little early, but I'm gonna be mad if ROTK doesn't win best picture. Fellowship deserved it, and so did Two Towers (although I wasn't expecting that to win, and it wasn't upset at all because I felt that it wasn't really the kind to win best pic). I really think he should at least get a special award, if not best picture.

I'd like to sing a song for you now....(small spoilers)

When Bilbo found that shiny ring in Gollum's cave of gloom,
he never thought that it would turn into a Ring of Doom.
The dragon, Smogg, the spiders, too, the goblins, the elven king,
they came to know the power of the hobbit and his Ring.

Frodo of the nine fingers and the Ring of Doom.
It started with a Hobbit in Gollum's cave of gloom.

The power of the Ring it grew and Gandalf sat in thought.
He knew that it must be destroyed in fires where it was wrought.
For if in evil hands it fell the earth would know its end.
No force of arms would win the day.
No army could contend.

Accepted a heavy burden for the fires to consume.

Why does he have nine fingers?
Where is the Ring of Doom?

Awesome poster Yoda… thanks… I can’t believe Annie hasn’t commented on that one…

Beale… that was great…

Has anyone ever checked out The Encyclopedia of Arda... It’s a pretty cool site that explains a lot of the characters and places in Tolkien’s work…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I kinda like this one for a poster. (hope I can attach it)
I can't wait till the end of the year, better movies than what's on at the moment.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	soldiers_ROTK.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1336  

MovieForums Extra
Not nearly Can't wait for the next DVD....I'll probably wear it out!

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Yoda
Wow!!! Thank you, thank you Yoda! I loooove that image! I had to download it.

I love those eyes...oh heck...that face~~~

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I can’t believe Annie hasn’t commented on that one…
Hehe...you'll be happy to know Cait...when I clicked on that lovely pic and the nice larger image popped up....I was squirmming in my seat.

I don't normally come in this forum btw.....but I'm glad I did today.~~

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
Yoda mentioned that this was part of the upgrade, so now you can use muliple attachments and they will be thumbnailed

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
I'm not much of LOTR fan and I will go watch ROTK but only because my mates will want to see it