Top 50 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

I'm not familiar with Ping Pong, but of course I love The Terminator-my favorite of the series.
I only know of Ping Pong, because Guap spammed the site one night telling us that it was the greatest piece of art ever created

@Cricket, I think that the only person here who has watched Ping Pong besides me is Voigan. Jal90 maybe, he watched a fair bit of these artistic anime series. Gunbuster, on the other hand, I think nobody here has watched.

1-harry potter adventure
2-cheaper by the dozen comedy
3-night at the museum comedy
4-yours ,mine and ours comedy
5- mad money comedy
6-final destination horror
7-ice age comedy
8- imagine that comedy
9-kung fu panda comedy
10-taxi 3 comedy/advebture

I haven't seen Ping Pong, but I have heard of it many times. It looks really good, and I'll definitely have to watch it at some point. Excellent choices with The Road Warrior and The Terminator, although I have to disagree with what you said about James Cameron. I don't think he is a good director. The original Terminator is the only one of his films that I think is exceptional.

@Cricket, I think that the only person here who has watched Ping Pong besides me is Voigan. Jal90 maybe, he watched a fair bit of these artistic anime series. Gunbuster, on the other hand, I think nobody here has watched.
Kind of... I watched the first five episodes. It looked pretty awesome, but by the time I just wasn't in the mood for watching series and left it there. What I saw there was a very engaging story about life decisions masked as a sports drama. It's definitely worth a chance.

Gunbuster is on my plans to watch, and would like to see it this year.

35. The Lord of the Rings (2001-2003) (Jackson, US)

The longest entry in this list, it's the full 700 minutes of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's what you can get when you throw 300 million dollars into making a movie out of Tolkien's classic book. Very few movies compare to it in terms of sheer scale of world building and the actual atmosphere of large scale medieval/ancient warfare is also exceptional.

Other movies featuring large ancient/medieval style warfare lack the sense of impending disaster if the battle is lost, for instance, Here we are really invested in the characters and in their struggle to save their fantasy world from Sauron. It's a extremely compelling narrative of the type and quality we rarely see. It's the last great Hollywood movie IMO, and it's the best among the about 900 Hollywood movies made since the year 2000 that I have watched.

Little hobbit (looks kinda like my avatar):

It's one of my best teenager film experiences, in fact I think it was my favorite movie of all time for some time after I watched the Return of the King in 2003 when I was 15.

34. Whisper of the Heart (1995) (Kondo, Japan)

This is the first and last Kondo film to make this top 50, for one very sad reason: it's the first movie he made just before he died from a heart attack at the ripe young age of 48. A terrible occurrence since he could have made many absolutely great films afterwards.

Whisper of the Heart is among the major masterpieces of animation and for an obvious reason. It's a film that achieves realism by utilizing animation to achieve greater tactility than any live action film could ever do (paraphrasing a Japanese film critic words which I read in Turning Point). The level of detail of the animation is incredible, the backgrounds are also incredibly detailed and the whole film is an impressive work of visual art.

It's a film of enormous emotional power and great beauty as well. Almost poetic and it's first half is it's high point, in fact, one of the great high points of cinema, the precious moments when the main character feels the magic of the mundace occurences.

I only know of Ping Pong, because Guap spammed the site one night telling us that it was the greatest piece of art ever created
There is no such thing as "greatest work of art" but Ping Pong is certainly in the upper stratosphere of quality in art. It's certainly a masterpiece, for sure, because it works on all levels, in fact, it's more well rounded than the other films so far here in it's combination of artistic and entertainment elements.

33. Shoah (1985) (Lanzmann, France)

Incredibly powerful documentary about the holocaust. It's one of the most, I cannot find the words right now, well, vigorously honest and austere documentary of the holocaust.

Composed by interviews of people involved in that historical event, one of the world's bloodiest genocides (perhaps the bloodiest pure genocide by raw body count, since I don't know any other genocide explicitly made with extermination of a population as goal that killed as many people (ca. 6 million)).

There isn't much more to say about it, it must be experienced.

32. Andrei Rublev (1966) (Tarkovsky, Russia)

One of the great movies of the 20th century, this masterpiece is making it's 50th anniversary next year. If I could describe this film with a single word it would be "heavy", this is heavy, as heavy as the heaviest music!

Tarkovsky was a very religious person and this is indeed perhaps the film that best portraits what faith truly feels like. I also should say that it reminded me a bit of some political economy books written in the 19th century that I read in my undergrad, in what sense? In the sense of having a similar feeling while experiencing it. By the way, I loved those books.

Just read a report on the Guardian "best arthouse film of all time", hyberboles aside, it's certainly a great, great film. It's ending is simply phenomenal.

By the way, here is the guardian report on it: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010...ovsky-arthouse

31. Serial Experiments Lain (1998) (ABe, Japan)

Somebody on amazon said "this would be what a cartoon directed by Tarkovsky or Tarr would look like, others compared it with Lynch's films, well, in a way it looks kinda like a mix between Stalker and Eraserhead. Though the director claims to be primarily inspired by Goddard, the very dark and serious tone reminds me more of the former works. But overall one shouldn't compare it with other stuff but should undertood it in it's own terms.

Lain is primarily Yoshitoshi ABe's work (who is credited only with character design, but it's very perceptibly also the main creative force of several title he worked officially as "character designer" which only proves that the "theory" that the director is the creator of a film is plain wrong), and it's very characteristic of his work, in fact it's his quintessential work. It's rather abstract but in the end it's narrative makes perhaps more direct sense than Eraserhead.

Like almost every other adult Japanese animation it's main character is a little girl:

Though Lain's main theme, "the internet", is obviously more modern though when it was made the net was still the province of computer nerds and most of the population had a very limited idea of what it was. This miniseries (also categorized in Mubi as a film like Ping Pong) is an abstract study of that.

I also love it's 1990's anime style with it's very austere organic look, very different from the computerized glossy look of more contemporary products.

I watched it when I was 13, it traumatized me at the time, but I always knew that animation was a powerful art form when made correctly.

30. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) (Miyazaki, Japan)

Miyazaki's majestic little movie is even more impressive when one understands that he made that film in a period of only 1 year. This is his first entry in this top 50.

This movie is such a great sweet little movie, one of the best of it's kind. It's incredible how well made the whole movie is, since at the time it was the most expensive movie Ghibli ever made with a budget of 800 million yen hence it was the first Ghibli film with near full animation. It was also the first time a Miyazaki film was the highest grossing film of the year in Japan, all his later films were similarly the highest grossing films in their respective years.

By the way, they are making a live action adatptation of Kiki's Delivery Service right now, but it looks rather horrible:

(at first I though Kiki was supposedly caucasian )

Also, one of the most important characters of the movie is Kiki's city, I love the look of a drawn city since it looks so much better than in photography/cinematography. It was originally modeled on Stockholm, indeed, look at the backgrounds drawn for this film:

Kiki is Miyazaki's cutest character IMO as well. He said he modeled her behavior on the young female employees of Ghibli at the time.

29. Bashu, the Little Stranger (1986) (Beizai, Iran)

Extremely powerful film about the effects of the Iraq-Iran war on the people of Iran. It's one of those universal movies that transcend cultural barriers, cultural barriers that can be quite large.

In the case of this film the characters act in ways which might seem pretty "weird" for a westerner (or even a westerner such as me who has watched a fair bit of Asian stuff (though 99% of that is Japanese Asian stuff) ), but the themes are universal. The main emotional force of this film is the love between a mother and her (adoptive) son.

The film's visual richness is not that exceptional though it's one of those visceral films which are actually an intellectual study of sociological phenomena. In this case, racism is also a theme of the film, though a very specific type of racism of northern Iranians against the darker skinned southern Iranians (visibly darker Bashu is a southern Iranian).

By the way, Bashu looks kinda like a Brazilian kid from the northeast of Brazil:

Brazilian kid from the poverty stricken northeast region of Brazil:

I'll watch Shoah at some point; that runtime is just so intimidating.

I'll be watching Andrei Rublev soon, in time for the 60's list.

I watched everything from Miyazaki for the animation list and I'd say Kiki's Delivery Service was my 2nd favorite, right behind The Wind Rises.

Haven't heard of Serial Experiments Lain-sounds interesting.