Best Movies of 2015

→ in
Tools    

As the year rolls to a close, I wanted to post what I thought were the best movies of 2015. Of course, this doesn't include the rush of movies from the very end of the year, but we're almost there These are all films that scored a perfect 5 on my site.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
If you liked the original Star Wars, you’ll like this one. It was exciting and cool. Go see it.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part Two
A very satisfying end to the Hunger Games phenomenon of movies. If you're a fan of the series, it's a must-go. Even if you aren't a fan, it was a very good action movie.

The Martian
Matt Damon does very well in the first must-see movie in awhile. It combines space travel and adventure. Two of my favorites.

Spotlight
A very powerful film you probably haven’t heard of. Maybe the Catholic Church suppressed it?

The Intern
A well-acted, good-quality film. There’s some yellow-lights for the family, but a ‘go’ for everybody else.

Still Alice
Alice, a linguistics professor, just turned 50. Her husband makes good money as a doctor. Her life seems perfect. She is diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease. Slowly, all of her life goes away.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Like the buddy-cop movie of the 80’s, the jokes are more funny when they’re played off each other.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
A very slick, very high-budget, very fun action film… with a sprinkling of adult bits.

Jurassic World
This was one of the better (if not the best) movies of the summer. If you didn’t catch it in theaters, I would definitely see it on video.

San Andreas
Amazing roller coaster of a film. This was a summer film made for popcorn.

Enjoy!

--Matt

I haven't seen much yet.

1. Hard to Be a God
2. Tangerine
3. Ex Machina
4. Güeros
5. Blackhat

Well the year isn't over yet and I have yet to see Star Wars, Hateful Eight, The Revenant, and a many others I plan to so this list is not set in stone at all.

1. The Martian
2. Sicario
3. Jurassic World
4. Antman
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Mad Max: Fury Road
7. The Gift
8. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
9. Black Mass
10. Spy

p.s.- Interstellar came out last year so it shouldn't be a part of the "Best Movies of 2015"

The Gift

Hands Down

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
No particular order.

Jurassic World
Mad Max
Insidious 3
The Gallows
Straight Outta Compton
Black Mass
Bloodsucking Bastards
Exeter
Howl
Pod
Poltergeist
The Visit
Dope
Hot Tub Time Machine 2
Creep
Zombeavers
Hits
Suburban Gothic

I really wanna see the Point Break remake, to see if I enjoy it.

Good point on Interstellar. I was just going down the list of "good" movies. My end-of-2014 was a horrible blur... I removed it from the list.

Creed is at the top of my list with movies for 2015, and came by a huge surprise.

The gritty feel to the film goes perfect for a movie that is depicted almost entirely on the streets of Philadelphia.

An outstanding film, with outstanding acting.

Still way too many to see, including The Hateful Eight (seeing it Christmas Eve), The Revenant and Joy (will see those both Christmas Day), The Big Short and Carol (this coming weekend, sometime), and Anomalisa (may not get to see this until January, unfortunately), along with a few others.

So far my top two favorites are Room and The Martian, with Mad Max: Fury Road, 45 Years, and Spotlight in the mix. To date I have also seen Black Sea, Blackhat, Taken 3, Mortdecai, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Fifty Shades of Grey, What We Do In the Shadows, McFarland USA, The Duff, Wild Tales, Focus, The Lazarus Effect, '71, Chappie, Unfinished Business, Run All Night, It Follows, The Wrecking Crew, The Gunman, Danny Collins, Kumiko the Treasure Hunter, Get Hard, While We're Young, Ex Machina, Clouds of Sils Maria, The Water Diviner, Adult Beginners, The Cobbler, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Far From the Madding Crowd, The D-Train, Maggie, Pitch Perfect 2, Tomorrowland, Poltergeist, Slow West, Aloha, Love & Mercy, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, The Wolf Pack, Inside Out, Dope, The Overnight, Magic Mike XXL, Amy, Boulevard, Strangerland, Do I Sound Gay?, Ant-Man, Trainwreck, Mr. Holmes, The Stanford Prison Experiment, Southpaw, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Vacation, The End of the Tour, Listen to Me Marlon, Ricki and the Flash, Dark Places, Cop Car, Straight Outta Compton, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., American Ultra, Grandma, She's Funny That Way, Goodnight Mommy, Black Mass, Sicario, The Intern, 99 Homes, Steve Jobs, Bridge of Spies, Beasts of No Nation, Our Brand is Crisis, Rock The Kasbah, Suffragette, Spectre, Brooklyn, Trumbo, The 33, By the Sea, The Night Before, The Secret in Their Eyes, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, Creed, Macbeth, Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

There may be a few more I have seen but didn't list, but there are definitely more I need to see. And my to-see list most definitely does not include Jurassic World, Furious 7, San Andreas, or Alvin & the Chipmunks: Road Chip.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Still Alice
Alice, a linguistics professor, just turned 50. Her husband makes good money as a doctor. Her life seems perfect. She is diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease. Slowly, all of her life goes away.
And Still Alice is great and all, but it was a 2014 release, which is why Julianne Moore already won Best Actress for her work in it back in February. It didn't open wide until early 2015, and being a smaller independent film that didn't play on a zillion screens like San Andres, most people saw it on DVD or a streaming service even later in the year.

But for purposes of year-end lists, it is a 2014 film.

I'll name all the movies I've seen in 2015. That I can remember. Still haven't seen a lot I want to. This is always my favorite time for movies.

Seen: (I'll number my favorites: Subject to change)
Creed (1)
The Martian (7)
Ant-Man (5)
Me Earl and The Dying Girl (4)
Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation (2)
Tomorrowland
Inside Out (3)
The Night Before (6)
Avengers: Age Of Ultron (10)
Age Of Adaline
Trainwreck
Jurassic World
The Gift
Dope (9)
Skeleton Twins
Focus
Mad Max: Fury Road (8)

I think that's all I've seen. All I can remember off the top of my head at least. Still have a bunch I want to see. I'll list them below.

Joy
Hateful Eight
Star Wars
Carol
Sicario
Concussion
Bridges Of Spies
Black Mass
Straight Outta Compton
The Revenant
Ex Machina
Spectre

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

The Terminator
Guys where is Fast and Furious 7. I think you all just miss this movie into your list.

Be a freak, like me too
My #1 is Victoria by Sebastian Schipper

The film was shot in one single long take (around 2h20) and is about a hold up. It's powerful, intense : we're living the hold-up. The actors are amazing, Victoria isn't just about a hold-up, the film is very human too, it's also about the friendship. The actors are amazing. I really loved this film, it was an experience in the Berlin night.

The trailer :

My #2 is the French cynical comedy Comment c'est loin with the two French Rappers Orelsan and Gringe (the Casseurs Flowters). A kind of rap musical about the disenchanted youth.

Both are really my favorite. Then, even if the characters are not interesting in this film, I enjoyed Jurassic World. I liked Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Inside Out, Star Wars VII : The Force Awaken, the first part of the new film documentary of Pierre Carles - Operation Correa - about the Ecuador, Dancing Arabs by Eran Riklis.

I disliked Taxi Teheran by Jafar Panahi, Amnesia by Barbet Schroeder, Home Sweet Home by Nadia Naous and La Dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil by Joann Sfar.

But of course, I missed a lot of interesting films...

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Top 5 (So Far)
1. The Gift
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
3. Straight Outta Compton
4. The Martian
5. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

Film that will probably make the final list when I see them
Anomolisa
The Hateful Eight
The Big Short
Ex Machina
Son of Saul
Victoria
Black Mass
Trumbo
The Wolf Pack
The Reverent
Sicario
The Lobster
Creed

Welcome to the human race...
In the process of drafting my best-to-worst list now, but I'm still undecided as to what I'll do about films that were technically first released in 2014 but didn't see wide release until 2015. There only seem to be a handful at the moment like Taken 3, It Follows, or Kingsman: The Secret Service but it can get a little confusing since other regular 2014 films like Birdman or American Sniper didn't see release in Australia until 2015 anyway so I wonder if I should just draw a line in the sand and limit to official 2015 films.

Imdb world wide standard. 5 years from now, nobody will care about wide releases, people will only look at what year imdb says.

1- The Martian
2- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
3- Inside Out
4- Creed
5- Mad Max: Fury Road

Honorable mention to Kingsman because that was really good too but these 5 are instant classics in my mind. Still a few more movies to see though so this list isn't final

In no particular order, the films listed have been some of my favorites this year:

Sicario
Spotlight
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian

Martian is number 1

Welcome to the human race...
Imdb world wide standard. 5 years from now, nobody will care about wide releases, people will only look at what year imdb says.
This is a good point, but it's not exactly stopping other people.

This is a good point, but it's not exactly stopping other people.
I don't expect it should. After all, by the end of a year, be it 2015, most people haven't seen lots of movies wide released let alone the ones that were shown few times in some festival. So when it comes to year end lists, any criteria is fine. I personally prefer the simplicity, popularity and longevity of imdb movie release date.

Imdb is not an authority for movie genres, because it lists genres selected by movie marketing sector, which notoriously doesn't strive for any sort of objectivity or universality.