The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.
For A Few Dollars More

Love both! Two great westerns and I'm glad to see them. Neither made my list, they were close, but not close enough.

289 POINTS • 21 LISTS

Looks like Sergio Leone and Stanley Kubrick will both have four films on the list, then, as they both have two on the list already and two which are certain to show up.

Also, For a Few Dollars More received exactly one more than twice the amount of points of A Fistful of Dollars.

I'm surprised For a Few Dollars More is so much higher on the list than Fistful, but it's a great movie. The uneasy partnership between Lee Van Cleef's character and Clint Eastwood's definitely elevates the movie. As for Butch Cassidy I've seen it a few times and I've never really loved it. I own the DVD but it might be more than 10 years since I've seen it, so maybe it'll finally click with me. I'll give it another try.

As my groofy director's thread hinted, were it not for For a Few Dollars More, i might not care about movies much. It's easily Sergio Leone's best film, for me. He got sued for Fistful of Dollars for mimicking Kurosawa's Yojimbo, as most folks know. And then he and Morricone decided they knew they could do better. So they made this movie. And they completely won the movies, and me. THIS is Clint Eastwood's movie. THIS is Lee Van Cleef's movie. THIS is Morricone's movie, nailing home the music. My #5 of the 1960's. Acquire a cohiba and celebrate, a great movie made the MoFo 60's countdown, finally !!!

champion this movie more than the Godfather, i refused Vito's offer, left the gun & took the cannoli, bc where life has no value, death, sometimes, has its price. That's why bounty killers appear. My Italian movie

#5. For a Few Dollars More
#6. Black Sunday

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I enjoy all three of the Leone trilogy but I don't lionize any of them. For a Few Dollars More does have Gian Maria Volonte as the scumbag El Indio, so I give it extra credit for that. The relationship between Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef is never really made clear until the finale, so that's a mysterious asset too. It does feel a tad overlong to me, but with that Morricone score, it doesn't really matter. Butch Cassidy is my second-favorite western of all time, just after Little Big Man, and even if it's more about the 1960s than the 1890s, it's the better for it. It was my #9.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (George Roy Hill, 1969)

This stylish western is filled with wonderful technique. I especially like the way it begins with a silent movie playing over the titles, and turns sepia to introduce the leading characters in highly-stylized scenes. William Goldman's script is a showpiece to exhibit the charm and wit of Paul Newman and Robert Redford. Even with all the wonderful comic and action highlights, the heart of the film is the long trek trying to escape the posse doggedly on their trail. After all is said and done, I still believe my fave part is the shootout ending in Bolivia with its pumped-up sound and editing.
That makes ten from my list, and I now expect eight more.

#1. Elmer Gantry (48)
#3. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (29)
#6. My Fair Lady (40)
#7. Mary Poppins (49)
#9. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (21)
#11. West Side Story (28)
#12. Z (44)
#13. The Innocents (32)
#14. The Manchurian Candidate (34)
#22. Spartacus (47)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is number sixteen, on my list. It's also two of the eight films that I believe will still be listed from my top twenty five. Um, I think so. Six more out of the final 22. There's a small chance I'm off by one or two.

06. The Haunting (1963)
08. Barefoot in the Park (1967)
12. What Ever Happen to Baby Jane? (1962)
15. They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)
16. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
17. The Great Escape (1963)
18. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (1967)
19. The Sound of Music (1965)

Two great westerns that I really love, Butch Cassidy didn't make my list but I considered it, For a Few Dollars more was my #14. I think the latter is pretty close to The Good the Bad and the Ugly in terms of quality, so I'm glad it's this high.

already know my top 4 movies of the 1960's aren't making the MoFo 'down. so now lookin foward to the finalé when lists are revealed. thereby, For a Few Dollars More is my highest ranking film on Daniel M's decade, and he's a fantastic host, so this is a celebration night until i can disclose my full list. now's a time John Wayne can meet Lil Wayne

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I found my final list that I made for this countdown last night (this would include the other 5 to round it off to a top 30 list). I was pretty sure that "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" was in that group, and I was right.

But I definitely knew that "The Hustler" and "Butch Cassidy" were in the 26-30 group. I love both of them. So, I am very happy to see them both make an appearance and as high as they did.

Master of My Domain

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was my #13

Now, normally I would be quite unhappy about the Hamburger beating the Spagehtti, but this time it's the opposite. For me For a Few Dollars More is the weakest of Leone's famous trilogy, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is one of the most entertaining films ever made.

You can see that this movie is basically a really expensive play, not a deep, cinematic art, with a bunch of lavish landscape shots, a bunch of shooouts, and charming wit at every single corner. It basically sprayed money everywhere, at every scene, and it pays off, unlike a lot of modern films that have a $100 mil pricetag. I suppose my favorite Geroge Roy Hill film had the same budget too when accounting for inflation.

The tonuge-in-cheek, and almost "adorable" chemistry between Butch Cassidy and The Sundance kid, aka between Paul Newman and Robert Redford, is hilarious and while sometimes you wonder how the two became buddies, but in the end it all makes sense when they work together to jump down a high cliff and blow up a train.

However despite all of the above I don't like this film as much as before mainly because some sequences are shoved down your throat, and pacing problems pop up here and there. Nevertheless if I were to choose only 10 to 15 movies to watch on a lifetime sentence located in a deserted island, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid would be one of my very first picks.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I seem to be hit or miss with westerns, but Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is one of my favorites. It was #13 on my list.

That makes 12 movies from my list that have made the countdown, but I'm pretty sure that only one more movie on my list even has a chance to make the countdown. (I'm hoping for two more movies, but at this point, I'm pretty sure that it's only going to be one more movie from my list. )

2) Barefoot in the Park (1967)
3) West Side Story (1961)
4) The Music Man (1962)
5) Inherit the Wind (1960)
8) My Fair Lady (1964)
12) Fail-Safe (1964)
13) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
14) Charade (1963)
18) Mary Poppins (1964)
19) Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)
22) Oliver! (1968)
23) In the Heat of the Night (1967)
25) 36 Hours (1964) (On the One-Pointers List)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
For a Few Dollars More is a double showcase of badassity! The first from Eastwood, who returns as the Man Without Name aka Blondie and the second from Lee Van Cleef, in his best role yet. The latter will star in many great spaghetti westerns after this and of course they both meet again in TGTBATU. The film is like the previous one in the trilogy, only better! I give it

Haven't seen Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was #8 on my list. I was hoping it would make the top 20 at least, but it missed it by one! Dang! Oh well, all the goodies are about to spill out of the closet.

...it might be more than 10 years since I've seen [Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid], so maybe it'll finally click with me. I'll give it another try.
Nope. I gave it another try tonight and it still does nothing for me. A comedic western I do love, which just barely missed my list, is Support Your Local Sheriff, and I was hoping it'd make the countdown even though I couldn't find any room for it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Best buddy movie ever made? Nah, that's my #2.

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid is the second best, and it was my #12.

For a Few Dollars More was my #5, the highest placed film of mine to show up thus far. It adds to everything that Leone had introduced mainstream audiences to with Fistful whilst still being self-contained.

Been to Almeria a couple of times and Sioux City on Gran Canaria once. I do love my Pasta Westerns.

For A Few Dollars More is one of the finest.

Master of My Domain
Best buddy movie ever made? Nah, that's my #2.
I assume your #2 would be 2001: A Space Odyssey. The chemistry between Dr. David Bowman and HAL is worth 5 stars alone.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I assume your #2 would be 2001: A Space Odyssey. The chemistry between Dr. David Bowman and HAL is worth 5 stars alone.
HAL is like a typical woman. She promises a lot, but when serious business starts, whe wouldn't open before you.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Mark Eff
I'm assuming your fave buddy movie is from the same year as BCatSK?
I couldn't possibly comment.