The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I don't know what's worse: Rauldc14 under orders to complain about every aspect of the countdown or this vile Thief who seeks to emulate his behavior.

Scorsese's Silence was on my list, number eight on my ballot, already the fourth title from my top ten to appear on the collective countdown. Scorsese tried to get this movie made for decades and it finally came to fruition at the age of seventy-four. Thank goodness. It makes a sort of informal cinematic triptych with Marty's Kundun and The Last Temptation of Christ and has some parallels with Roland Joffé's The Mission. The adaptation of Shūsaku Endō's 1966 novel finds Jesuit Priests in 17th Century Japan where Christianity has been outlawed, including by pain of death for those caught practicing, and questions what faith and belief are, if they must be formally and outwardly professed or if silent and secret observation isn't even more radical and powerful. The cast was at one time set to be Daniel Day-Lewis, Gael García Bernal, and Benicio Del Toro before years of production delays led to the ultimate casting of Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield, and Adam Driver who were all excellent.

HOLDEN PIKE’S LIST
5. Take Shelter (#67)
6. The Artist (#87)
8. Silence (#43)
10. The Revenant (#53)
11. The Favourite (#61)
14. Nightcrawler (#55)
15. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (#72)
21. Room (#97)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Seems a bit early for it, considering how much praise it gets, but we'll see. I have another potential guess for that, but I'm gonna trust my gut.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri for this countdown. This is one of those movies that's a great movie, but it missed my list because it's not a movie that I'm likely to rewatch. But I'm glad to see that it made the countdown.

I haven't seen Silence.

mark f

I couldn't find any rating/reviews mark wrote for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri made mark f's ballot at #12.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Michael McDonough, 2017)
-

Deputy Sam Rockwell reacts to the billboards paid for by angry, grieving mother Frances McDormand.

It was also on his list of "Recommended films from 2012-2021":

2012 - It's Such a Beautiful Day The Act of Killing
2013 - Gravity The Missing Picture
2014 - Nightcrawler The Salt of the Earth
2015 - A Man Called Ove Behemoth World of Tomorrow
2016 - La La Land O.J.: Made in America
2017 - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri The Shape of Water
2018 - Green Book They Shall Not Grow Old
2019 - 1917 Chernobyl Parasite
2020 - The Trial of the Chicago 7 Crip Camp
2021 - The Mitchells vs the Machines The Beatles: Get Back The Tragedy of Macbeth

And it was on his list of "favorite movies from 2017":

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
The Shape of Water
Dunkirk
Ex Libris: The New York Public Library
Paddington 2
Brigsby Bear
Resistance at Tule Lake
The Divine Order
Detroit
Coco

Seems a bit early for it, considering how much praise it gets, but we'll see. I have another potential guess for that, but I'm gonna trust my gut.

I'm positive it will make the list, but I have no idea when. I assume Inception will rank higher.

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson IIII
Chris Evans IIII

Jessica Chastain III
Mark Ruffalo III
Michael Shannon III

Michelle Williams II
Emma Stone II
Zazie Beetz II
Robert Downey Jr. II
Jake Gyllenhaal II
Leonardo DiCaprio II