Documentaries

Tools    

What a mess Ethan Hawke made of this project. Here are 2 of the very bad reviews.

“I am 53 minutes into Episode 1, and I'm not sure I will be able to endure the entire series. At least not without making active use of the fast forward 15 seconds button.

First of all, I really never enjoy documentaries that feature a lot of talking heads gushing about the subject. I prefer straight up docs that cover the subject with contemporaneous actualities.

The Last Movie Stars is filled with younger generation actors and actresses gushing about the Newman/Woodward's. It's so BO-ring! And Ethan Hawke and his cronies all sound so self important. If that's not bad enough, They've left in all of the worst aspects of Zoom meetings, self-conscious zoom thing, including incidental commentaries about poor Internet connections This is irrelevant to the point of being completely insulting to the objects of their affection, Paul and Joanne.

It's a great idea to use actors to read material that is only available in text form. And the actors he's chosen to do so are quite good at it. But one is ever so aware that it is - oooh George Clooney - reading the words of - oooh, Paul Newman! Who is supposed to be basking in whose reflected glory? It's just too, too, too.

If this documentary is breaking new ground in documentary production, I will be watching a lot less of this and any similarly conceived documentaries.”

“Actors are the most ridiculous people on planet earth.

I thought this was going to be an actual, long-form documentary and it was basically a quick hour and five minutes or whatever of pampered, leftist, lunatic actors talking about their "craft" and Ethan Hawke looking like an insane homeless man wearing horrific man jewelry.

It's disjointed and choppy - I wanted to hear more about Newman and Woodward's life together not about how "an actor prepares."

Someone else mentioned this but it's true- this is Ethan Hawke's vanity project that he's doing to make himself look more important than he really is, chitchatting with his actor buddies. It was bizarre.”

Very interesting documentary. What a fiasco!

No particular interest in Nancy Pelosi, but this documentary (filmed by her daughter Alexandra) is interesting. There’s a lot of footage from the attempted insurrection & that’s very interesting. I dread to think what the mob would have done to Pelosi if she hadn’t been whisked away to safety. The mob became more & more rabid.

Started watching documentary "coming war on China" was interesting but had to turn off when they talking about US nuclear testing with animals as guinea pigs.. "to see how they die, to see how they burn"

..after hearing\seeing pictures of that I felt like someone hit me with a sledge hammer, I had to turn it off and contemplate humanity... or rather the lack of 😞

So many evil people in the world, it's confounding

Started watching documentary "coming war on China" was interesting but had to turn off when they talking about US nuclear testing with animals as guinea pigs.. "to see how they die, to see how they burn"

..after hearing\seeing pictures of that I felt like someone hit me with a sledge hammer, I had to turn it off and contemplate humanity... or rather the lack of 😞

So many evil people in the world, it's confounding
Man, frickin depressing.

I've seen several documentaries this year, so here they are...

Profit & Nothing But! or Impolite Thoughts on the Class Struggle -
(review here)

Attica -
(review here)

The House Is Black -
(review here)

Drawings of My BF -
(review here)

Night and Fog -
(review here)

Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blache -
(review here)

Cinema Puerto Rico: Una antropología visual -
(review here)

Of course I liked this because of doggie rescue, but, boy, these women can talk. I just hate a lot of yakking. Good people though.

Much to my amazement I binge-watched this entire thing & enjoyed it. What the British gutter press put this woman through is unbelievable. And the vitriol & vituperation from members of the general public - death threats! - is incredible. Really frickin sad IMO.

How their marriage has survived this amount of stress is beyond me. Harry is very nice & a devoted husband & she adores him. I wish them luck, I really do. At least they’re in California & can put some distance between them & their tormentors.

Georgina Rodriguez is Cristiano Ronaldo’s live-in partner. Re-watch because I enjoy this kind of nonsensical reality shows. She seems like a nice lady & I look forward to season 2.

No particular interest in Nancy Pelosi, but this documentary (filmed by her daughter Alexandra) is interesting. There’s a lot of footage from the attempted insurrection & that’s very interesting. I dread to think what the mob would have done to Pelosi if she hadn’t been whisked away to safety. The mob became more & more rabid.

i feel sorry for her and her family. She has become such a lightening rod for the unhinged.

I feel for her and her family. she has become such a lightening rod for the unhinged.

Much to my amazement I binge-watched this entire thing & enjoyed it. What the British gutter press put this woman through is unbelievable. And the vitriol & vituperation from members of the general public - death threats! - is incredible. Really frickin sad IMO.

How their marriage has survived this amount of stress is beyond me. Harry is very nice & a devoted husband & she adores him. I wish them luck, I really do. At least they’re in California & can put some distance between them & their tormentors.
I never cared about the Royals but I recently started wondering why there was so much hate against Meghan. I snooped around looking at all kinds of stuff on YouTube and online and couldn't get anything to back up the hate she was receiving. It's just a tempest in a teacup. Most of the vitriol seems to be coming from one tabloid and Meghan's relatives. Who seem very thirsty. As for the racist comment by an older family member, I thought there were always one or two in any biracial family. At least that has been my experience. I think the fuss is now is just Harry and Meghan's spin on leaving the Monarchy because it wouldn't look good it they said they just didn't want to do it.

I feel for her and her family. she has become such a lightening rod for the unhinged.

I never cared about the Royals but I recently started wondering why there was so much hate against Meghan. I snooped around looking at all kinds of stuff on YouTube and online and couldn't get anything to back up the hate she was receiving. It's just a tempest in a teacup. Most of the vitriol seems to be coming from one tabloid and Meghan's relatives. Who seem very thirsty. As for the racist comment by an older family member, I thought there were always one or two in any biracial family. At least that has been my experience. I think the fuss is now is just Harry and Meghan's spin on leaving the Monarchy because it wouldn't look good it they said they just didn't want to do it.
Pelosi’s husband could have been killed by the lunatic who attacked him. The guy is 80 something!

The British gutter press makes a ton of money off stories like Meghan & Harry. Ditto the paparazzi. It’s a feeding frenzy. Now Harry has a book out. I predict this will go on & on ad nauseam.

Kiss the Ground (2020)

I like to think I stay relatively well-informed about sustainability innovations, climate change, agricultural impacts, etc. This documentary gives a surface level look at a handful of topics on these subjects. It's good, but it doesn't seem to dig deep on any one particular thing to really engage you.

Re-watch. The Chinese took over this Dayton, Ohio glass factory. Lots of differences in culture.

Very interesting. A very messed-up British PTSD young man moves to the Amazonian jungle of Peru. He starts to study the right way to re-wild orphan ocelots. So interesting if you’re an animal lover. The ocelots are so beautiful.

Sincerely hope this guys finds some peace in the world & within himself.

For those of you who like animation, including video games, there's a great documentary on Netflix called I Know That Voice (2013). It's a doc about and by voice actors. You'll recognize a lot of character's voices, and get to see how it's done, and who the best are.

For example I didn't realize that in cartoons and other animation the voice parts are recorded first, then the animation is added to the voice.

It's a fun 95 minute watch.