Back into horror genre

Tools    

As a 10 yo kid i really enjoyed watching horror movies with my mom. She called it "psychological thriller" but what she had in mind was movies like "i know what u did last summer", meaning a killer usualy with hidden face goes on a killing spree and you try to figure out who it is. We probably watcher "scream" also. And 1 movie i remember is Dr. Giggles. I still cant forget the opening of the movies when a little child cuts his way out of his dead mothers womb. Thats just awesome. I guess all Psycho movies would be good to watch.

As i grew up, i got deadly afraid of horror movies. What scared me most was sci-fi horror. When watching Japan version of ring, when that girl came out of television, i stood up and practicaly ran away from tv. I had trouble sleeping for months. And i was like frakin 16 year old. Anything unnatural scares me, for instance childs play, i would love to watch all of them cause they are silly but it scares me. Same with "indian cemetery" i belive it was called. You burry someone dead there and he comes back to life like a zombie. I cant forget the scene when zombie wife dances with her husbant, he cries ... and she holds a long knife in her hand. Priceless. Little girls scare me to death. Zombies used to scare me, but after i watched and loved walking dead, they dont scare me anymore, im a huge fan now. I really loved a movie "My Bloody Valentine" from 1981 and 2007 and i loved happy death day. It didnt scare me cause i knew its a normal human that i can kind of beat the crap out of. Little unnatural girls ... how do you fight that ? Jason and Michael Myers scare me, the unnatural ****s. Leatherface and texas chainsaw massacre don't, its trivial to kill them both.

Help me first find as many movies as possible similar to "my bloody valentine", "deathday", "i know what u did last summer", "scream" etc. I wanna watch them to get used to it and later slowly try to transition into more heavy unnatural movies that scare me. So give me light horror movies. Nothing unnatural. Only a simple human being getting a mask on and going on killing people in a nice gory ways. So no flying demonic children and dead women climbing from well and out of tv. Im gonna get a heart attack that way.

Oh, and why i wanna do that ? First, apart from getting scares, movies really are cool to me. And second, they seem to improve my mood. Its like if i watch something scarry and get scared for 2 hours straight, it seems my body responds with certain chemicals and afterwards i feel elevated mood, maybe because the scary part is over or i overcame it ? Its like a happy pill for me

A movie that scared the stuffings out of me was Sinister. Plenty of creepy children in that and a ghoul that convinces them to kill..

No, no, no, thats the exact type of movie that will make me leave horror for good. I need something light for starters, something that will get me used to horror. Movies like "my bloody valentine", "deathday", "i know what u did last summer", "scream". Movies that i know i can tolerate but still they keep me on edge. I need more movies like that. No creepy children please, i cant tolerate them in movies (or elsewhere for that matter )

Some movies I would recommend with killers/slashers:

American Psycho (2000)
The Burning (1981)
Halloween (1978)
Maniac (1980)
Pieces (1982)
Psycho (1960)
Sleepaway Camp (1983)
StageFright (1987)
The Stepfather (1987)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Theater of Blood (1973)
X (2022)
You're Next (2011)

You're describing slashers.

I'd recommend googling "best slashers" or similar wording and then grab a list and check out some titles. Like this one: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls057496134/

^
This. Trying to get them "all" is going to be difficult.
I guess if I were to recommend one big one I don't think I saw mentioned yet, it would be Black Christmas (1974).

Just wanted to say i watched and almost finished "i know what u did last summer 1" and its super fun. Not scary at all, sadly i remember most things from movie but its a start. I am trying to get used to that feeling when suddenly someone jumps out of the closet. That still scares the living shit out of me so sometimes i turn volume down so i jump less. But i almost feel it an accomplishment when i finish the movie, thats outside my confort zone. Also most movies piss me off cause its full of this forced humor (looking at u marvel) and some new age political crap. Here, its just a bunch of people getting slaughtered. I am thinking after i finish with i know what u did last summer 2 and 3 i will go to scream. Dont know if i will find it scary cause honestly, that tiny guy in a suit reminds me of that guy from frankenstein movie parody. Its just funny. You grab his arm, headbut him, done Now little supernatural girls and toys, that scares the living shit out of me. How do u fight that ? You offer it tea ? Toys ? But i will slowly climb to scarier and scarier things. I think my ultimate goal is to finaly watch Japanes Ring again, this time without road runner-ing it out of the room. Thanks for advices, please feel free to add more. As for i doubt u will be able to watch all the slashers ... challenge accepted