The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

Did her abrupt change in demeanour once her crush didn't work out the way her young mind thought it would not convince you there? I don't think there'd be a scene of him walking her home in the way it was if this was a possibility.
I'm not sure. It may just come down to the fact that there's no proof of his innocence, and the ambiguous ending made me feel that way about the whole movie.

I'm not sure. It may just come down to the fact that there's no proof of his innocence, and the ambiguous ending made me feel that way about the whole movie.
One of the biggest points is surely that you shouldn't have to prove innocence. You should have to prove guilt. Proving innocence is nearly impossible especially in situations based on verbal testimony which is not reliable at all ever anywhere.

One of the biggest points is surely that you shouldn't have to prove innocence. You should have to prove guilt. Proving innocence is nearly impossible especially in situations based on verbal testimony which is not reliable at all ever anywhere.
No question about it, and I do believe he was innocent. I'm just not 100% sure.

Buffalo '66

I don't know a lot about Vincent Gallo, but I will echo nearly everyone in calling him a sleezeball. ...
Am I the only one who liked him? ha I mean yeah he wasn't a nice guy, he was pretty far out there...but as the film had dark comedy elements and wasn't trying to be realistic, I seen Gallo as an eclectic character, in the same vein as The Big Lebowski. As soon as I seen Gallo released from jail and then he wanted back in to use the bathroom, I knew that this wasn't shooting for ultra realism, so then anything he did was OK as it was more of a offbeat type film.

Nightmare Alley

There were questions that I had, though:
How did she make that electric current happen between her hands? Or am I not supposed to ask that? I just don’t remember if that was explained.
You can ask that...and I'm glad you did...as that electrical current was real! Not a cinematic trick but a demonstration of a Tesla coil. When I was in grade school some guy, I guess he might have been a scientist...brought a Tesla coil and we did something very similar. We put our hand on this chrome ball that was part of the device, and then as long as you didn't stop touching it, current would flow through you and arch...a really big and bright arch, to a person standing near, just like in the movie.

I'm pretty sure they too had their hands on the coil, because I do remember if you let go, you got a damn good electrical jolt. I had a really weird school! I doubt they would ever let kids do that now, crazy stuff

Going to throw out a controversial opinion (more like a fact actually) in that i don't think everyone would be as straight forward with Spring, Summer if Miss Vicky hadn't reviewed and mentioned the animal abuse first.

I don't think i've ever seen such a large amount of members have the same opinion about a film in any HOF. My lord.

Sorry Nesto, it's absolutely one of the best films nominated i'm with you.

Going to throw out a controversial opinion (more like a fact actually) in that i don't think everyone would be as straight forward with Spring, Summer if Miss Vicky hadn't reviewed and mentioned the animal abuse first.

I don't think i've ever seen such a large amount of members have the same opinion about a film in any HOF. My lord.

Sorry Nesto, it's absolutely one of the best films nominated i'm with you.
You know, I was thinking about this. I usually chalk up an acclaimed movie that I don't like to taste, but I really didn't think it was that good. Even the cinematography which a lot of people praise, I think is only exceptional in brief scattered shots. I think it's got an uneven tone with an average story and average acting. There's plenty of symbolism thrown in, but I don't think that's done in a brilliant way either. I just don't see anything great about any of it.

I didn't really read anyone's reviews of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter until after I had already seen it and had written down what I was planning to mention anyway, which is typically what I do for all HoF films. Unless I've already seen them before of course, in which case I'll read the reviews as they're posted.

I rather liked the film, particularly Fall and Winter (though Fall is my clear favourite). Despite how much I disliked the animal torture at the start, I did like the rest of the Spring segment, and would still think that the final Spring segment was unnecessary even if more animal abuse hadn't been shown. I'm not sure if that actually came across in what I wrote about the film. For awhile there I was having a lot of trouble writing for some reason, so a few of my write-ups here are poorly written because of that.

I mean...i'm nearly speechless, 80%+ of you guys have the exact same opinion as Miss Vicky.
Or maybe 80% of us are just disgusted by animal torture?

Even without those scenes I would've found it to be mediocre at best.

Nightmare Alley
- spoilers below -

I love carnivals ever since I was a kid. They always come about the same time in the spring. We used to wait for them as kids, helping out with little things, mostly setting up the stands. Growing up in a town, we were all so happy to see all kinds of animals from ponies, horse, dogs, some reptilians in a terrarium and sometimes they had even some pumas (cougars). We would always get new exotic classmates for 3 - 4 months, mostly gypsies. And this would repeat every year up until the urbanization and progress would destroy every little piece of green. Then they wouldn't arrive to our neighborhood any more. There was no place to set up the carnival to. We knew there were all kinds of frauds and tricks involved but we didn't care. We loved it and were envious of their freedom moving around the country always happy, joyful and free-spirited.

But, of course they too are people with their feelings and emotions. There too is jealousy. betrayal, love, hate, anger, fraud, thieves, tramps, alcoholics and so on. We are watching this mentalist couple using a code to make a show being able to read and recognize the objects while blindfolded. Handsome Stanton helping them out on stage has something on his mind. He would like to make it big and is full of ideas. He's missing only one piece to a puzzle. He needs that code. Here actually I'm not sure why doesn't he just make his own code? But whatever. We see Zeena's husband Pete on his drinking spree and the bottle gets mysteriously switched and he ends up poisoning himself with some kind of denatured alcohol. There's Stanton's chance to get the code and go solo with Zeena. But Molly is younger and prettier. So eventually he is forced to marry her and takes her on the show instead. And they are a big show in Chicago. And so on.

Acting was good and I like Molly character and she was pretty too. Tyrone Power did a great job of course. The whole mood of the movie was nicely balanced and it wasn't all that predictable as it seemed to be.

I must say I got also fooled with the tarot cards and was expecting Stanton to end up hanging himself . Especially after Molly said he shouldn't play with people like that giving them false hopes and faking God acts. OK, he ended up as a bum drinking nearly to delirium tremens. Then destroyed not even recognized by carnival people hired as another geek to play a monster. But I must say I found it very happy ending when Molly recognized him and even more when Stanton recognized her. That was something. I felt so good and relieved after the ending. I think they lived good lives after this with a bunch of kids. . Great nom @Citizen Rules!

I'm speeding up a bit as I just joined 1940s HOF.

Every time after i write my paragraph i read all reviews to a film i just watched. It is amazing how all of us watching and reviewing the films from all kinds of different angles. I like this diversity and watching films thru HOF participation gives me a lot.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I was going to say something long before I read her review. As soon as I saw it I knew it was going to be one of the things that I had to mention. I just didn't care for it.

Forbidden Games/Jeux interdits (1952)
Dir. Rene Clement
Starring: Brigitte Fossey, Georges Poujouly, Lucien Hubert

I honestly don't have much to say about this film because it left little to no impact at all. I wasn't able to get invested in any of the characters or their stories, and thus felt completely disconnected from the emotional heart of the film. I understand that this is supposed to be a story about the children's self-centred yet innocent perception of the world, and how their young minds are forced to cope with horrors they don't truly understand, however it failed to engage me in any meaningful way.

When left to my own devices, I do not tend to watch many films that are mainly dramas because I frequently have completely neutral responses to them, which is what has happened here with Forbidden Games. I think the only part of this film I'm really going to remember is the abrupt ending. I assume it is supposed to be heart-breaking, but unfortunately it just felt unfinished to me. I've been accused of being heartless by friends, and I'm starting to wonder if that could actually be the case.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeux.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	30888