Welcome to the Dance - My Favorite 20 High School Movies

→ in
Tools    

Introduction

I have decided to do a reboot of my 20 favorite high school movies, I did some rewatching and there have been a few changes.

As you can see in the poster above, it represents the things that are seen in some of these films that I have enjoyed throughout the years of high school cinema.

So grab your dance partner and hit the dance floor

or sit on the sidelines with your lone self

and enjoy browsing through this thread, it's going to be a night to remember, folks.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

#20. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Director: John Hughes
Writer: John Hughes
Stars: Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck, Mia Sara, Jeffrey Jones, Jennifer Grey, Cindy Pickett, Lyman Ward
Genre: Comedy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 43 Minutes
Rated PG-13

#19. Can’t Hardly Wait (1998)
Directors: Harry Elfont and Deborah Kaplan
Writers: Deborah Kaplan and Harry Elfont
Stars: Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ethan Embry, Charlie Korsmo, Seth Green, Lauren Ambrose
Genre: Comedy and Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 40 Minutes
Rated PG-13

We kick off this thread with two movies that didn't take place that much in high school, instead we got to see what high schoolers experience outside of school. We got Ferris playing hooky from high school, forcing his two friends to tag along with on an exciting adventure in the Chicago area.

Meanwhile, we got a bunch of seniors throwing a graduation party on the last day of school. As I enjoyed both movies, I say Can't Hardly Wait gets the upper hand here because you can't go wrong with watching a house party filled with seniors and see them act like a bunch of wild animals. The cast makes the movie a fun watch for sure.

From the original list
Ferris Bueller's Day Off was #18
Can't Hardly Wait was #12

#18. Sixteen Candles (1984)
Director: John Hughes
Stars: Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Justin Henry, Michael Schoeffling
Runtime: 1 Hour and 33 Minutes
Rated PG

#17. Not Another Teen Movie (2001)
Director: Joel Gallen
Writers: Mike Bender, Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobson
Stars: Chyler Leigh, Jaime Pressly, Chris Evans, Eric Christian Olsen, Mia Kirshner, Lacey Chabert, Molly Ringwald, Melissa Joan Hart
Runtime: 1 Hour and 29 Minutes
Rated R

This is when we start getting into the High School spirit with the dances. One movie is on the PG romance side of things, which I think Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall did a good job at their roles, they save the movie from not being boring imo.

The other movie is a parody of some of the past high school movies. Which I liked more than Sixteen Candles, because the movie was funny and a blast to watch. One of the best parodies out there for sure.

From the original list
Sixteen Candles was #13
Not Another Teen Movie was #11

#16. Back to the Future (1985)
Director: Robert Zemeckis
Writers: Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale
Stars: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Crispen Glover
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Sci-Fi
Runtime: 1 Hour and 56 Minutes
Rated PG

#15. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
Director: Gil Junger
Writers: Karen McCullah, Kirsten Smith and William Shakespeare
Stars: Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Larry Miller, Larisa Oleynik, David Krumholtz
Genre: Comedy, Drama and Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 37 Minutes
Rated PG 13

Back to the Future was a good sci-fi time traveling and adventurous film with the high school element involved. Marty gets stuck in 1955, seeing his future parents as high schoolers which is cool to see.

Now moving on from the time traveling and getting back into the High School romantic comedy groove. I like how the movie plays out as it forces the anti social character into actually doing something exciting with her life instead of just hating the whole world all the time. The cast does a fine job making this movie interesting to watch.

From the original list
Back to the Future was #10
10 Things I Hate About You was #20

#14. Pretty in Pink (1986)
Director: Howard Deutch
Stars: Molly Ringwald, Jon Cryer, Harry Dean Stanton, Annie Potts, James Spader, Andrew McCarthy
Rated PG 13

#13. Can't Buy Me Love (1987)
Director: Steve Rash
Writer: Michael Swerdlick
Stars: Patrick Dempsey, Amanda Peterson, Courtney Gains, Seth Green, Tina Caspary, Sharon Farrell
Runtime: 1 Hour and 34 Minutes
Rated PG-13

I like how this movie plays out as Andi is not this so popular girl in school and has this best friend named Duckie that tries to confess his love to her since they have known each other for a long time. All things take an unexpected turn when she meets rich guy named Blane, this film is a good watch for sure.

Things don't get too pretty with our next movie called Can't Buy Me Love. I like how the film sends a good message on what happens when trying to get yourself into the cool crowd to earn some reputation and wanting to fit in that crowd just because your lifestyle isn't working out but of course things don't always work out that way.

From the original list
Pretty in Pink was #15
Can't Buy Me Love was #14

#12. The Duff (2015)
Director: Ari Sandel
Writers: Josh A. Cagan(screenplay) and Kody Keplinger(novel)
Stars: Mae Whitman, Robbie Amell, Bella Thorne, Bianca A. Santos, Skyler Samuels
Runtime: 1 Hour and 41 Minutes
Rated PG-13

#11. 21 Jump Street (2012)
Directors: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller
Writers: Michael Bacall(screenplay), Jonah Hill(story), Patrick Hasburgh(television series)
Stars: Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Ice Cube, Rob Riggle, Dave Franco, Delray Davis
Runtime: 1 Hour and 49 Minutes
Rated R

The first movie from the 2010's to appear on this thread and I like how social media and technology come into play in this movie. It's a story about a high school senior that's trying to get through high school and finding out that she might be the DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) of her attractive group of friends.

Can't go wrong with them buddy cop movies, especially when they act like a bunch of knuckleheads in the movie. A fun watch and even Ice Cube is in the movie to bring in the laughs filled with f bombs looking over the two cops shoulders to make sure the two cops get the job done or they get kicked out of 21 jump street.

From the original list
The Duff was #16
12 Jump Street was #9

#10. Heathers (1989)
Director: Michael Lehmann
Writer: Daniel Waters
Stars: Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, Shannen Doherty, Lisanne Falk, Kim Walker, Penelope Milford
Genre: Comedy and Crime
Runtime: 1 Hour and 43 Minutes
Rated R

#9. Carrie (1976)
Director: Brian De Palma
Writers: Stephen King(novel) and Lawrence D. Cohen(screenplay)
Stars: Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt, John Travolta, Nancy Allen, Betty Buckley, P.J. Soles
Genre: Horror and Mystery
Runtime: 1 Hour and 38 Minutes
Rated R

Next, we have this good revengeful set of movies coming up. Heathers has more of dark comedy vibe to it and I like how things come into play when Veronica meets this mysterious kid named JD, things start to turn out messy for Veronica.

A cheesy 70's movie that makes it high up on this thread and for good reasons. What I liked about Carrie is the way she gets back at her tormenters in school and revenge is taken to a whole new level. When this prank goes wrong at prom, those bullies are going wish that they never messed with Carrie White ever again.

From the original list
Heathers was #8
Carrie was #6

#16. Back to the Future (1985)
Director: Robert Zemeckis
Writers: Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale
Stars: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Crispen Glover
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Sci-Fi
Runtime: 1 Hour and 56 Minutes
Rated PG

]
#15. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
Director: Gil Junger
Writers: Karen McCullah, Kirsten Smith and William Shakespeare
Stars: Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Larry Miller, Larisa Oleynik, David Krumholtz
Rated PG 13

Back to the Future was a good sci-fi time traveling and adventurous film with the high school element involved. Marty gets stuck in 1955, seeing his future parents as high schoolers which is cool to see.

Now moving on from the time traveling and getting back into the High School romantic comedy groove. I like how the movie plays out as it forces the anti social character into actually doing something exciting with her life instead of just hating the whole world all the time. The cast does a fine job making this movie interesting to watch.

From the original list
Back to the Future was #10
10 Things I Hate About You was #20
Back to the Future is a perfect film. The only completely satisfying element of 10 Things I Hate About You was Heath Ledger's performance,

#8. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Director: Amy Heckerling
Writer: Cameron Crowe(screenplay)
Stars: Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold, Brian Backer, Robert Romanus, Phoebe Cates
Genre: Comedy and Drama
Runtime: 1 Hour and 30 Minutes
Rated R

#7. Freaky (2020)
Director: Christopher Landon
Writers: Michael Kennedy and Christopher Landon
Stars: Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton, Celeste O'Connor, Misha Osherovich
Genre: Comedy, Horror and Thriller
Runtime: 1 hour and 42 Minutes
Rated R

We are going through the Fast Times in Ridgemont High and seeing how these teens go through in and outside of high school life. This film was definitely an interesting watch in the 80's. I liked Sean Penn's character, Jeff Spicoli, he had some oddly funny lines in this movie for sure.

Next, it's time to get Freaky with the body swapping stuff. It involves a young high school girl that swaps bodies with a deranged serial killer and she must get her body switched back in 24 hours before the change becomes permanent. I thought Vince Vaughn did a good job in the movie.

From the original list
Fast Times at Ridgemont High was #2
Freaky - A new movie that wasn't on the original list, it replaced She's All That which was #19

#6. Clueless (1995)
Writer: Amy Heckerling
Stars: Alicia Silverstone, Stacey Dash, Brittany Murphy, Paul Rudd, Donald Faison, Elisa Donovan, Breckin Meyer, Jeremy Sisto, Mel Horowitz, Justin Walker
Rated PG-13

#5. Mean Girls (2004)
Director: Mark Waters
Writers: Rosalind Wiseman(book "Queen Bees and Wannabes") and Tina Fey(screenplay)
Stars: Lindsay Lohan, Jonathan Bennett, Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, Lacey Chabert. Tina Fey, Lizzy Caplan, Daniel Franzese, Amy Poehler, Tim Meadows
Rated PG-13

I like how this movie plays into the spoiled rich teen high schooler thing, Alicia Silverstone plays the role well and makes the movie enjoyable to watch. The supporting cast makes the movie interesting as well.

Them Mean Girls tops the clueless teen one and the performances from Lohan and McAdams were good. The movie shows that you can be easily attached with the wrong crowd while already making friends that seemed like a nicer crowd.

From the original list
Clueless was #17
Mean Girls was #5

#4. Superbad (2007)
Director: Greg Mottola
Writers: Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg
Stars: Michael Cera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Bill Hader, Seth Rogen, Emma Stone, Martha MacIsaac
Runtime: 1 Hour and 53 Minutes
Rated R

#3. Easy A (2010)
Director: Will Gluck
Writer: Bert V. Royal
Stars: Emma Stone, Amanda Bynes, Penn Badgley, Dan Byrd, Aly Michalka, Thomas Haden Church, Patricia Clarkson, Malcolm McDowell
Runtime: 1 Hour and 32 Minutes
Rated PG-13

Next, things turn Superbad for two best friends while on the way to attend this house party before they go their own separate ways when going to college. This movie was a funny one and I like how the movie shows them going through separation anxiety, it comes to show that you may or may not see your best friend that often again.

First, I want to say Emma Stone did a fine job playing the role of Olive Penderghast and I liked the "fake sex thing" it shows how some people start believing rumors just because one person says it happened. She gives us the final blow at the end to those that get very nosy in people's business especially to the ones at her school.

From the original list
Superbad was #7
Easy A was #4

#2. Scream (1996)
Director: Wes Craven
Writer: Kevin Williamson
Stars: Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette, Skeet Ulrich, Matthew Lillard, Jamie Kennedy, Rose McGowan, Drew Barrymore
Genre: Horror and Mystery
Runtime: 1 Hour and 51 Minutes
Rated R

#1. American Pie (1999)
Directors: Paul Weitz and Chris Weitz (uncredited)
Writer: Adam Herz
Stars: Jason Biggs, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Sean William Scott, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Alyson Hannigan, Eugene Levy, Tara Reid, Mena Suvari, Natasha Lyonne, Jennifer Coolidge
Runtime: 1 Hour and 35 Minutes
Rated R

Coming in #2, we take a dark turn from the lovey dovely romantic comedy stuff and instead we got a great high school horror slasher movie where teenagers end up getting killed off one by one by a killer named Ghostface. One of my favorite horror movies of all time and can never get sick of it every time I rewatch it either.

Finally, we reach to the #1 favorite high school movie with American Pie. While this movie is a teenage sex comedy, I like how it steers clear away from the over the top disgusting humor like you see in some other comedy films instead, we just get a movie that gets to the point of things making this a funny and enjoyable movie to watch.

Just to note, If I had to pick the better film between Scream and American Pie, I say Scream while I think American Pie is better when it comes to the high school side of things.

From the original list
Scream was #3
American Pie was #1

Honorable Mentions

Carrie (2013)
The Breakfast Club (1985)
Bring It On (2000)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)
Dazed and Confused (1993)
Election (1999)
The Girl Next Door (2004)
Jennifer's Body (2009)
The Karate Kid (1984)
Risky Business (1983)

Moxie (2021)

#8. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Writer: Cameron Crowe(screenplay)
Stars: Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold, Brian Backer, Robert Romanus, Phoebe Cates
Genre: Comedy and Drama
Runtime: 1 Hour and 30 Minutes
Rated R

#7. Freaky (2020)
Director: Christopher Landon
Writers: Michael Kennedy and Christopher Landon
Stars: Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton, Celeste O'Connor, Misha Osherovich
Genre: Comedy, Horror and Thriller
Runtime: 1 hour and 42 Minutes
Rated R

We are going through the Fast Times in Ridgemont High and seeing how these teens go through in and outside of high school life. This film was definitely an interesting watch in the 80's. I liked Sean Penn's character, Jeff Spicoli, he had some oddly funny lines in this movie for sure.

Next, it's time to get Freaky with the body swapping stuff. It involves a young high school girl that swaps bodies with a deranged serial killer and she must get her body switched back in 24 hours before the change becomes permanent. I thought Vince Vaughn did a good job in the movie.

From the original list
Fast Times at Ridgemont High was #2
Freaky - A new movie that wasn't on the original list, it replaced She's All That which was #19
Who doesn't love Fast Times and I thought Freaky was pretty good.

#6. Clueless (1995)
Writer: Amy Heckerling
Stars: Alicia Silverstone, Stacey Dash, Brittany Murphy, Paul Rudd, Donald Faison, Elisa Donovan, Breckin Meyer, Jeremy Sisto, Mel Horowitz, Justin Walker
Rated PG-13

#5. Mean Girls (2004)
Director: Mark Waters
Writers: Rosalind Wiseman(book "Queen Bees and Wannabes") and Tina Fey(screenplay)
Stars: Lindsay Lohan, Jonathan Bennett, Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, Lacey Chabert. Tina Fey, Lizzy Caplan, Daniel Franzese, Amy Poehler, Tim Meadows
Rated PG-13

I like how this movie plays into the spoiled rich teen high schooler thing, Alicia Silverstone plays the role well and makes the movie enjoyable to watch. The supporting cast makes the movie interesting as well.

Them Mean Girls tops the clueless teen one and the performances from Lohan and McAdams were good. The movie shows that you can be easily attached with the wrong crowd while already making friends that seemed like a nicer crowd.

From the original list
Clueless was #17
Mean Girls was #5
Tina Fey's screenplay for Mean Girls is brilliant and I loved Clueless too.

I hope you guys liked this thread, next I'll be redoing my favorite horror movies list and have more movies this time instead of just having 20 movies like the original list had. I'm either doing 30 or 40 movies, not sure yet. This won't be done in time for Halloween which is fine no need to rush it.

I'll be doing a favorite comedy list soon as well.