Film Noir HoF...Hall of Fame

Tools    

I've extended the deadline for getting the voting list in until Monday, April 6th.

I need HELP finding a link to the movie The Set-Up 1949. Someone needs to watch it online. I've looked but haven't found a streaming link or watchable video of it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've extended the deadline for getting the voting list in until Monday, April 6th.

I need HELP finding a link to the movie The Set-Up 1949. Someone needs to watch it online. I've looked but haven't found a streaming link or watchable video of it.

Try this link:

http://veehd.com/video/4531618_The-Set-up-1949

Thanks for the help. I couldn't get it to play online but it might be just my computer. I passed that link along so hopefully they will be able to watch it.

For the VeeHD site, try clicking on Download, and the filename should show up on screen. (It's usually a number with an .AVI or MP4 extension.) Then right-click the filename and choose SAVE FILE AS.

We had some very diversified voting. All of the films were strong.

Coming in at 5th Place: Sunset Blvd...95 points....nominated by Neiba

4th Place: Laura...97 points....nominated by gbgoodies

3rd Place: Double Indemnity...111 points....nominated by Christine

2nd Place: The Third Man...114 points....nominated by Seanc

And the Winner is:

1st Place:

In A Lonely Place...116 points....nominated by Sane

Congratulations to Sane.

And a big thank you! to everyone for participating.

Jesus Sane, you giving out favours to the HOF hosts or something? Congrats again. Still haven't watched it myself, but I really need to since Bogie is my favourite Actor. Glad to see The Third Man and Double Indemnity do so well.

Wow, not what I expected but it makes me very happy. It ranked third or fourth on my list but my top 4 were all movies I consider favorites. I am happy for In A Lonely Place because it is a film that I had not even heard of before this HOF and it became an instant favorite. Absolutely fantastic film that needs a bluray release so I can buy it and watch it again. Congrats Sane who is becoming very dominant in these things. He is not nominating slam dunks either, just great films.

I'm glad to see that In A Lonely Place won. I ranked it at #1 on my list, even above my own nomination.

Double Indemnity and The Third Man were both movies that I rated very high on the first watch, but they both dropped a little bit on the re-watches. (Or maybe it was just that a couple of other movies went up a little bit on their re-watches.)

Are we posting our ranked lists yet?

I had In a Lonely Place 10th on my list, but I'm okay with it winning. I do like it a lot. I had Out of the Past at #1, because as I said way back when, I voted for the movies based on how effective they were as Noirs, and Out of the Past is everything a Noir should be, whereas I don't necessarily think "noir" when I watch In a Lonely Place.

And can we see the full ranking of the films?

Here is the full list.

In A Lonely Place (1950)...116 points....nominated by Sane

The Third Man (1949)...114 points....nominated by Seanc

Double Indemnity (1944)...111 points....nominated by Christine

Laura (1944)...97 points....nominated by GBgodies

Sunset Blvd (1950)...95 points....nominated by Neiba

Out of the Past (1947)...89 points....nominated by Erasmus Folly

Sweet Smell of Success (1957)...87 points....nominated by Pussy Galore

Pickup On South Street (1953)...80 points....nominated by Citizen Rules

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)...79 points....nominated by Friendly Mushroom!

The Set-Up (1949)...61 points....nominated by Holden Pike

The Big Combo (1955)...59 points....nominated by Kaplan

The Wrong Man (1956)...52 points....nominated by Frightened Inmate

The Lady from Shanghai (1947)...52 points....nominated by DanielM

Here's how I voted.

1. The Third Man
2. Sunset Boulevard
3. Shadow of a Doubt
4. Laura
5. Double Indemnity
6. Sweet Smell of Success
7. The Big Combo
8. In a Lonely Place
9. The Wrong Man
10. Pickup on South Street
11. Lady From Shanghai
12. The Set-Up
13. Out of the Past

This is my ranked list.

1) In a Lonely Place (1950)
2) Laura (1944)
3) Sunset Boulevard (1950)
4) Pickup on South Street (1953)
5) Out of the Past (1947)
6) The Third Man (1949)
7) Double Indemnity (1944)
8) The Wrong Man (1956)
9) Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
10) The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
11) Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
12) The Big Combo (1955)
13) The Set-Up (1949)

Citizen Rules List

1 Sweet Smell of Success
2 Pickup On South Street
3 Double Indemnity
4 Laura
5 In A Lonely Place
6 Out of the Past
7 The Big Combo
8 The Third Man
9 Sunset Blvd.
10 The Set-Up
11 Shadow of a Doubt
12 The Wrong Man
13 The Lady from Shanghai

This was very hard for me to rate them all, they are all so good.

My 1-5 choices, could easily be a 5 way tie.

I had to vote Orson's film last. I wish we would have had A Touch of Evil in the Hof.

You know I think people like different things in movies so that's why the difference. Kaplan said he felt some of these weren't strongly noir types. I can understand that.....For me I'm not a big fan of 'who done it' mystery films, so The Third Man wasn't my favorite type of film, even though it was done very well.

my list, off the top of my head:

1. The Wrong Man
2. Sweet Smell of Success
3. Pickup on South Street
4. Out of the Past
5. Laura
6. The Big Combo
7. In a Lonely Place
8. Shadow of a Doubt
9. The Lady From Shanghai
10. Double Indemnity
11. The Set-Up
12. The Third Man
13. Sunset Boulevard

I'm glad to see someone else liked the Sweet Smell of Success besides me. It might not be an atypical Noir, but I thought the dialogue buzzed like a chainsaw. Very intelligently written with two strong characters too.

This was very hard for me to rate them all, they are all so good.

My 1-5 choices, could easily be a 5 way tie.

I had to vote Orson's film last. I wish we would have had A Touch of Evil in the Hof.

You know I think people like different things in movies so that's why the difference. Kaplan said he felt some of these weren't strongly noir types. I can understand that.....For me I'm not a big fan of 'who done it' mystery films, so The Third Man wasn't my favorite type of film, even though it was done very well.

This was hard for me to rate too. Some of the movies were so close that I switched the order several times while compiling my list. I think this is a benefit of having these specialty HoFs. We're more likely to like all (or most) of the movies because we already like the genre.