The Green Hornet

Tools    

Meh. I think I'll save it for redbox.

Semper Fooey
I'm not standing in no line for that.

At first I was hurt they ruined one of the earliest superheroes, especially one which had serious potential to earn more respect than Nolan's Dark Knight.
If people like the reality bit about Nolan's Batman, then Green Hornet is your man.

But we have Michael Gondry as a director here, who could have done something really stylistically retro... Was expecting bizarre humor, even bizarre characters.
he could have done somthing in the style of the Golden/Silver age of comics.
But we see nothing new, everything is lame..

You might hear people praise the action scenes, but they were just okay.

I really hate saying this, but I think Michael Bay would have done a far better job here.. Atleast he would have made Rogen STFU & let him do his work.

Well, for someone like Gondry, that is certainly true. But I don't necessarily assume that a creative tug-o-war between an auteur and an immature douche-bag automatically spells disaster.

That being said I'm still interested in seeing how much Gondry comes through in spite of all this. His process is distinctive enough that it's bound to still leave a mark.

I hope Johnny Depp realizes that this movie sucks before doing a similar "humorous" take on the Lone Ranger and Tonto's relationship, making Tonto the brains and the Ranger a buffoon.

Honestly that would be better than what they have done with Green Hornet.. Green Hornet was never meant to be a jackass type comedy.

Lone Ranger on the other hand is really difficult to picturise in these times, a cowboy that doesn't shoot to kill?... I think a slight humorous take here wouldn't do any harm,
as long as Lone Ranger isn't a jackass.

Even Green Hornet as a buffoon might have worked, if they had got Jack Black, Jim Carrey or Jason Segel.

Semper Fooey
&feature=related

Here is the Hornet's origin (edited) from the first serial. The casting was unusal then also as Gordon Jones was primarily a character actor best known for comedy and was the bully Mike the Cop on the Abbott and Costello TV show. The second serial cast Warren Hull who previously was the Spider and Mandrake the Magician. All the other regulars in the first serial appeared in the second.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I thought the movie was HILARIOUS!!! I had a great time watching it. I don't really care what critics say, I just go by what I find fun. I will admit that I had no real knowledge of the character before this, other than that the original show had Bruce Lee in it. I'm glad it was silly fun, because I think that a lot of the joy in super-hero movies has been missing lately because the filmmakers try to pander to overly serious fanboys.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

If by fanboys you mean people like me..
Then I suggest you take a look at the original material before saying something like that..

What if The Godfather was done by Tyler Perry?
What if Blues Brothers had Will Smith & Martin Lawrence?
What if Carrot Top played Joker?

I really hate when people use the word "fanboys" as if all the fans do is whine about their favorite material..

The only reason why people have been cribbing about this is cos the movie is a joke, it has zero creativity shown by one of the most talented directors we have today.
This movie is the perfect example why movies should not be remade... They could have named this movie "Black Puma" for all I care. Why destroy something that has gone down in history.

The only scene I laughed was the scene where he says "Bottomline is Headline"..

I can see why people like it, if they didn't like movies like these Judd Apatow wouldn't have been a rich man...

Like I said earlier I wouldn't have mind a comedy, maybe if they had got a talented actor instead of someone who wants to make a jackass of the character.

Rogen clearly knows that he couldn't have sold the movie if he had done a serious role.. but there was no way he was losing probably the only opportunity he would get to play a superhero.
Ask Nicholas Cage, he even lowered his salary to return in Ghost Rider 2.

BTW, Monkeypunch.. you should really watch Megamind..
It's a funny superhero film with some amazing voiceacting.. also, it was one of the best films in 3D of 2010 IMO..

Regarding Gondry & superhero films, I think he'd be best suited for Plasticman.
He could do a lot with the premise.. Jim Carrey can play the part.
But Johnny Knoxville won't be bad either.

I really wish Jim Carrey would get to play a superhero before he gets really old.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I really wish Jim Carrey would get to play a superhero before he gets really old.
He did play a pretty good Riddler, considering. Sure, not a superhero, but pretty close. He also played the Mask, again, not a superhero, but pretty close.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Ohh yes, Forgot about The Mask..
I loved him as as The Riddler.

Just in case if any of you guys didn't know, the original Mask had Jim Carrey turning into a murderous killer after wearing the mask, in the end he was supposed to be shot down by his lover..
But Jim Carrey was so funny on the set, that they decided to change the entire tone of the film... & the rest is history.

I'd still like to see him as a Superhero again though, maybe as a vampire/demon hunter or a heroic vampire.. hell, why doesn't Johnny Depp cast him in the Dark Shadows movie..
A Time Travelling hero perhaps?

Semper Fooey
The Green Hornet movie is no hit at this point. Number one at the box office opening weekend, but below expectations. Did better on Saturday which may mean good word of mouth. But did very poorly overseas, not a good sign. If it is down more than fifty percent second week and doesn't pick up worldwide, the movie will be a flop.