My Favorite Movies about Addiction

Tools    

If I don't see Requiem For A Dream in this list... I think I'm gonna cry

song from 'jaanbaaz' movie with dancers dance fueled by drug intake---

muslims dancing in frenzy of drugs which makes them walk over burning fire in the end---song from bollywood movie 'jaanbaaz'

Barfly (1987)

Based loosly on the life of poet Charles Buchowski, this is the story of two losers (Mickey Roarke, Faye Dunaway) who connect through their love of the bottle.

If I don't see Requiem For A Dream in this list... I think I'm gonna cry
Do you really think this list could not include Requiem for a Dream? Can you just be patient...you people are destroying any possible suspense there might be in this list.

If Trainspotting is not in the top 3, then your validity will be seriously questioned.

If Trainspotting is not in the top 3, then your validity will be seriously questioned.
I guess that's supposed to be some kind of threat? My validity as what? A writer? A film buff? A human being?

I have one more movie to watch before continuing this list...during the last 36 hours, I have watched Thanks for Sharing, Rush, and Trainspotting and two out of three of these films will be on my list. Again, thank you for your patience.

The Morning After (1974)

This 1974 TV movie starred Dick Van Dyke as a business executive who loses everything through his battle with the bottle...Van Dyke's powerhouse performance earned an Emmy nomination and makes this worth checking. The film nails the insanity of the disease of alcoholism...there is a frightening scene where Van Dyke practically beats up his wife (Lynn Carlin) to get his car keys from her. This story is a hard watch and offers no easy fixes.

New Jack City (1991)

There is a school of thought that this 1991 box office smash glamorizes drug use but it does offer a couple of solid addiction stories: Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes) is a small time dealer who takes over a ghetto apartment complex and turns it into a crack factory, turning himself into a major kingpin who becomes totally addicted to money and power. The other story involves a kid named Pookie (Chris Rock) a crack addict who gets clean but instead of working a program, he volunteers to be part of a sting to bring Nino down that proves Pookie is not as strong in his sobriety as he thought and both stories ring true.

Traffic (2000)

For my money, the best film of 2000 is a multi-storyline look at the war against drugs. a war we continue to lose. The most compelling story centers around the newly elected drug czar (Michael Douglas) who is so consumed with his work that he doesn't even notice that his own teenage daughter (Erika Christensen) has become a crack addict...thanks in part to Steven Soderbegh's Oscar-winning direction, Christensen perfectly conveys her instant addiction to this drug and how it takes you to a place that you will do ANYTHING for more.

When a Man Loves a Woman (1994)

Meg Ryan was robbed of an Oscar nomination for the performance of her career as an alcoholic who actually faces her problem but finds it more complex than she imagined. This movie takes a fully rounded look at the disease...we see the woman admit her problem, we see her get sober, and we also see that resuming her normal life is not as simple as she thought it would be. We also get to see the effect the disease has on family and loved ones through her husband (Andy Garcia) and daughter (Jena Malone).

I like New Jack City and Traffic, although the latter was a little disappointing for me.

I always assumed When a Man Lives a Woman was a Rom-Com because it had Meg Ryan in it. Now that I know, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Rachel Getting Married (2008)

A different look at addiction where we see how family and loved ones are affected by the disease. Anne Hathaway plays an addict, nine months clean, on pass from rehab to attend her sister's wedding and has to deal with the wreckage of her past, which includes an enabling father (Bill Erwin), an absentee mother (Debra Winger) and a resentful sister (Rosemarie Dewitt). This film really drives home the message that this is a family disease that doesn't just hurt the addict.

Blow (2001)

This is the true story of a drug dealer named George Jung (Johnny Depp) whose greed eventually turned out to be his downfall. Even though this movie is about a drug dealer, Jung was addicted to money, not to drugs.

The Death of Richie (1977)

The performances of Ben Gazzara and Robby Benson made this 1977 TV movie sizzle...this fact based story of a father driven to extreme measures by his son's drug addiction is another solid example of how an addict's family is affected by the disease.