Star Trek Beyond

Tools    

I heard one was in the works. It'll probably happen.

I won't judge from the trailer too much, because it's easy to create a film that isn't there with the right clips/music. I will say that it looks very much like a throwback/homage to the cheesy older series, where Kirk was semi-regularly stranded on some desert planet that looked suspiciously like California. There were a lot of nods to the old episodes in here, and that could be fun if done right.

"Phase II" anyone?

There's also the second half of the "5 year mission" we never got to see on TV.
And there's the years between V-ger (TMP) and Wrath of Khan - which in the Trek universe was something like 12 years, during which another 5 year mission took place.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
since most trailers regarding "blockbuster films" have been action-packed assaults to the senses I won't entirely gauge this one by it and while the Too Fast director is on board I am more than a little concerned, I focused more on the dialogue spoken during the clip and that appealed GREATLY to me. I watched the reruns of the original Star Trek series on local TV as a kid and was a little so-so on the Enterprise Universe tv shows that came out in my early twenties aka the eighties.

I fully enjoyed the last two reboots of Star Trek and hopped aboard the parallel universe premise which, I gotta say, TRULY follows the dogma: To boldly go where no man as gone before. So in that spirit, I'm in.

And if we're gonna dispute what is "true" Star Trek; even the original Star Trek TV series fell very short of its creator Rodenberry, who's vision was something far more inspirational than a womanizing, brawl-starting Kirk, Tribbles, and all the crazy split universes that they encountered, ranging from being caught in the Shootout at the OK Corral to a really bad "gangsters" world.

So, where do we draw the line and claim we're true to the original premise and where do we crossover and explore?

I think you can guess which one I'm going for

since most trailers regarding "blockbuster films" have been action-packed assaults to the senses I won't entirely gauge this one by it and while the Too Fast director is on board I am more than a little concerned, I focused more on the dialogue spoken during the clip and that appealed GREATLY to me. I watched the reruns of the original Star Trek series on local TV as a kid and was a little so-so on the Enterprise Universe tv shows that came out in my early twenties aka the eighties.

I fully enjoyed the last two reboots of Star Trek and hopped aboard the parallel universe premise which, I gotta say, TRULY follows the dogma: To boldly go where no man as gone before. So in that spirit, I'm in.

And if we're gonna dispute what is "true" Star Trek; even the original Star Trek TV series fell very short of its creator Rodenberry, who's vision was something far more inspirational than a womanizing, brawl-starting Kirk, Tribbles, and all the crazy split universes that they encountered, ranging from being caught in the Shootout at the OK Corral to a really bad "gangsters" world.

So, where do we draw the line and claim we're true to the original premise and where do we crossover and explore?

I think you can guess which one I'm going for
At least Roddenberry had input up until he died. What's kind of telling is that as soon as he passed, people started retconning his universe.

What Abram's did goes far beyond a retcon of details like Zephram Cochrane's origin or which aliens were Earth's fist contact - the new ST universe is Abram's mustache on the Mona Lisa.

I thought the trailer was okay – Kirk seems to be just as unlucky with his ship as in the Prime Universe. It would also seem that Idris Elba is heavily made up as an alien so it will be interesting to see him work that way. It just looks like more of the same, really, but I also have to ask myself why Scotty is suddenly blond.

I would've loved an actual "prequel" of the original Star Trek using young actors.
Instead, what we got was a concurrent "splinter" reality with a parallel universe retcon and alternate continuity carbon copies of all the characters, meaning the characters were no longer unique since there was now at least two versions of every one of them.
i.e. Everything we ever knew about the original Star Trek universe may as well have never happened and can now be thrown away since it's all been replaced by a copy - and as we know with copies, their quality degrades with every subsequent replication.
That's a pretty good summation of the downside. I sympathise with it in some respects; for example the varying degree of fidelity to the original actors. Spock (brilliant); Kirk (okay); Pike (nothing like Jeffrey Hunter). The Star Wars prequels were great for that.

Just for fun... if they ever do a prequel for ST The Next Generation, will James McAvoy play young Jean Luc Picard?
(Get it? Get it? Huh? Huh?)
Stewart must find it ironic he keeps playing people who lose their hair. James McAvoy was quite a surprisingly good young version of him I think, without doing an 'impression'.

That was silly in Star Trek: Nemesis to have an undoctored photo of a bald Tom Hardy for Picard's Starfleet Academy photo. Fans would know he had hair in those days but even as a casual viewer we'd been told that Shinzon had had seven shades beaten out of him, so he wasn't an exact clone any more.

Not looking good. They already did the Beastie Boys in the first one and it worked because it was so unexpected. But to see them go down this road again, seems like they have no ideas.

And is this really a Stat Trek film? Besides teh brief shots of the Enterprise and Spock teleporting away it looks like a generic sci fi film.

Much better trailer and I am not sure why its getting hate. My god the world will end if we put action and fun into a star trek movie. I like the new trek movies and it was time for a new director for some of Into Darkness was very boring.

Welcome to the human race...
Much better trailer and I am not sure why its getting hate. My god the world will end if we put action and fun into a star trek movie. I like the new trek movies and it was time for a new director for some of Into Darkness was very boring.
The problem isn't that there's action and fun in a Star Trek movie at all, it's that the action and fun are being emphasised at the expense of the characterisation and explorations of inner and outer space that were at the heart of the Star Trek brand. By downplaying or disregarding those elements, the two rebooted films end up playing out like generic sci-fi blockbusters that just happen to be using the Star Trek characters and universe. It's not that there's something inherently wrong with mindless action, it's that it's wrong for Star Trek. That's the problem with the first trailer for Beyond - it plays up the empty spectacle and little else as you get to see shots of motorcycle jumps set to the thundering guitars of "Sabotage", thus implying that this is likely to be more of the same as the last two movies. At least this second trailer gets the tone right by scattering several character moments throughout it so as to suggest that there's actually more to this film than just another helping of flashy explosions and high-speed action.

I liked the first star trek movie allot and some of into darkness. The seconds mistake was trying too be a wrath of khan rehesh and that was the wrong movie to steal from. The khan villain was too soon.

It is very strange that the whole point of the mission in Star Trek – space exploration – has taken such a back seat in the films. There's only really Star Trek V: The Final Frontier that comes close with the quest to find God, which also incorporated another aspect since lost to audiences, that of encounters with inexplicable, supernatural aliens. I think it's a real shame that nobody sees that side of Star Trek anymore.

If anything they needed too start Kirks In reboot movie franchise. His rivalry will of all things with The Klingons. In the old movies they already seem too hate James T Kirk before Movie 3. Wrath Of Khan happens in the Five Year Mission in deep space. I think Lin has the right idea too have new allies and new aliens on there newly established Five Year Mission arc.

Welcome to the human race...
I liked the first star trek movie allot and some of into darkness. The seconds mistake was trying too be a wrath of khan rehesh and that was the wrong movie to steal from. The khan villain was too soon.
I think that seems to be a bit of a problem with franchise reboots these days (especially post-The Dark Knight) where the makers will feel the need to bring in the franchise's most iconic villain as soon as possible but will occasionally try to misdirect audiences about the villain's presence or true identity (not just Khan but also Blofeld in the Craig-era Bond movies). It might have been handled better

It is very strange that the whole point of the mission in Star Trek – space exploration – has taken such a back seat in the films. There's only really Star Trek V: The Final Frontier that comes close with the quest to find God, which also incorporated another aspect since lost to audiences, that of encounters with inexplicable, supernatural aliens. I think it's a real shame that nobody sees that side of Star Trek anymore.
Yeah, I wonder how much of it is kowtowing to audience expectations of what the films should be - this arguably goes as far back as Wrath of Khan, which ended up being more of a straightforward action film than the much slower Motion Picture. It'd be interesting to see if the rebooted film series could pull off a film that didn't involve pitting the Enterprise crew against some sort of antagonist (sort of in the vein of Motion Picture or Voyage Home).

If anything they needed too start Kirks In reboot movie franchise. His rivalry will of all things with The Klingons. In the old movies they already seem too hate James T Kirk before Movie 3. Wrath Of Khan happens in the Five Year Mission in deep space. I think Lin has the right idea too have new allies and new aliens on there newly established Five Year Mission arc.
Well, yeah, the old movies follow on from the series so there's been plenty of time to build up Kirk's rivalry with the Klingons (by the time the first episode starts Kirk is already a seasoned captain instead of a fairly green recruit). By rebooting the timeline so completely that they have to follow Kirk from his beginning at Starfleet, the new film series is forced to build up said rivalry across individual films, which is going to be much more difficult (and that's assuming they do it at all).

I do like that Idris Elba is the villain for he was amazing as Shere Khan voice and like he is a new race of alien but people of Star Trek want Mostly 3 races Romulans, Klingons or Vulcans simply thats the big bad Character races.