MoFo LISTS: reactions, reviews, checklists

Tools    

Hitchcock is always a good choice.

Just watched Harold and Maude. Don't know why exactly I waited so damn long to watch this, I've had it on the shelf for about 2 years I'd say. What a trip. I especially liked
WARNING: "Harold and Maude" spoilers below
it when his mother was sitting and talking with Harold's first date and Harold is outside preparing to light himself on fire, which he apparently does and then he comes strolling in about 2 seconds later and the girl he's about to go on a date with goes running out of the room screaming! And then he just stops and gives the camera this great little smile. Priceless!
Very good movie.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Some New Year's viewing:

Woman of the Year - better than Adam's Rib, certainly. It was watchable enough but I wouldn't say I found it funny.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - totally lacking in any kind of realism, but then I wasn't really expecting any. Again, watchable enough, but I could think of a few musicals that probably deserve to be in the list above this one. Probably more notable for the dancing than the singing.

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town - pretty good. The exchange between Deeds and his butler after he wakes up after a night's drinking was priceless. It did get me thinking about the device of using newspaper headlines to tell the story which I've seen in a couple of films recently...efficient or just lazy?

Tootsie - funny, charming comedy. Makes you wonder why on earth the farcical imitation Mrs. Doubtfire is also on the list.

The Thin Man You have no excuse for not watching this film, it's great. Smart, funny and offbeat. My personal favourite scene: Nick in his dressing gown on Christmas morning drinking and shooting balloons off the Christmas tree. Crazy.

Welcome to the human race...
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I've been meaning to see this for a few years, and it did end up being worth it (even though I already knew the ending, but who doesn't?). The biggest surprise was just how engaging it was.

The Bicycle Thieves
A very moving story about a father and son who set out around Rome to retrieve their stolen bicycle. The little boy played by Enzo Staiola gives such a wonderful performance, at no more than nine years old too! I'm going to try and buy the Criterion, for sure.

Bullitt

Very entertaining. The famous car chase definitely lived up to the hype, as did the coolness of Steve McQueen's Bullitt. It was very good to watch an impressive Robert Vaughn on-screen too.

The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp:
A very enjoyable british film about the life of Colonel Wynn Candy and his efforts in three different wars. There was a lot to like about this film. I was quite glad that I went into this film cold turkey(A practice I will try to use more often,because I feel that going in with no expectations or ideas of what is happening really makes the movie watching expierience more enjoyable.) because from just reading the wikipedia article after I saw that it spoiled alot

First of all the acting of the three main characters was top notch. Livesy plays the main role with dignity and really makes you feel that you know the character by the end. Walbrook plays a great second to him and a very sympathetic character. Also, Kerr plays her role(s) very well and you can barely tell that it's the same actress playing three different roles.

Secondly, The Cinematagrophy was top notch and there were several great little moments in this film. The two that stick out to me the most are the duel scene and the very unusual way they use to show the passing of time. Also,there are alot of neat visuals in this film to look out for.

Finally,the makeup artist's do an excelent job showing the aging of the two main character's. You really have to look hard to notice that it is indeed the same actor's playing those roles.

My only gripe with the film is that it really could have used a intermission as I feel that any movie that's over 2 hours and 20 min and is of an epic scope needs to have a nice little break in the middle to give you a chance to absorb all of what happened in the first half and give you a breather to get up and get something to eat/drink(Sure,there's the pause button.But I prefer my movies uncut with no breaks except when an intermission has occured.)

Sherlock, Jr:

I was expecting this to be good,But not this good. After watching this it definatly lands a spot on my top ten comedy films(I break up my top ten lists by genre. I don't have an all-time list mainly beacause I don't like to pick favorites.).So many great gags and such originality from Buster.

It's a shame that today's generation(Who am I kidding? I'm only 20 myself) doesn't appriciate the all-time greats of comedy( Keaton, Marx Brothers,Chaplin,Laurel and Hardy,etc.). Because men like Buster could really make you laugh(Without even saying one word) and were great showmen(Buster did all of his own stunts and actually fractured his neck in this film.Not only did he recover quickly from fracturing his neck, He never knew he even fractured it till years later. Now that is workmenship.). The comedians of old really put today's comedians to shame and it's a shame that so many classics will go unwatched because kids don't like old movies.

The Navigator:

This was totally the opposite of what I felt about Sherlock,Jr. Now I really like Keaton alot, However the plot here really didn't do anything for me and after having watched Steamboat Bill,Jr.(Which is far superior in my opinon.) I really didn't feel like watching Buster in another boat related film.

Also,for some reason I couldn't keep myself awake during this picture. I don't know what it was,But it just didn't capture me the way that the rest of Buster's silent films do.

Alright enough fore play time to get back to knocking out the lists. Got 2 in yesterday, The Guns of Navarone, sure its a little dated but overall this is still a very good film, I watched a VHS copy of this, I would really like to get a nice cleaned up DVD version. Is there a movie that Gregory Peck is in where he isn't just outstanding? A couple of the scenes with him and David Niven are just terrific!

Next, From Here to Eternity. I may get a little flack for this but, what makes this one of the top films of all time? How many of these so-called top films are based on an adulterous relationship I wonder. I'm to lazy to go and look right now but I'm betting there's quite a few. I loved the cast, especially the skinny little guy, Frank Sinatra . He played a very good part in the film, it really just goes to show how talented so many of the singers/actors really were, so many of them could do both back then and do just fine. But to me that was the highlight of the film. At the start of the movie we meet the two main characters, Warden (Burt Lancaster) and Prewitt (Montgomery Clift) and minutes later we see Warden basically drooling over his Captains wife, so it's not a big imagination stretch to see where this is going. I get it, its a bit of a study into human nature and how our habits play out in day to day lives. And also how if left alone long enough all we tend to do as a race is spend a lot of time drinking and eventually start trying to kill each other while waiting for someone else to kill. But again, I've gotta ask what makes this movie so special? Help me out fellow MoFo's. I find it interesting that this film comes from a book, and since it's older it seems to get a pass. I'm not sure that it deserves it.

I am half agony, half hope.
I think that because every character, from the officer to the prostitute, suffers in some way, this film is appealing to an audience. No one was exempt from losing something. We can relate to that, we understand it.

Well, that's why I like it so much anyway.

Johann von Goethe

I think that because every character, from the officer to the prostitute, suffers in some way, this film is appealing to an audience. No one was exempt from losing something. We can relate to that, we understand it.

Well, that's why I like it so much anyway.
Fair enough.

Mrs. Miniver, Wow! now this was absolutely fantastic! I can see why Winston Churchill thought this movie did more for the Allied war effort than A Flotilla of Battleships. I barely have words to continue. I'm really impressed and I hope everyone gets a chance to see this.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? A pretty mind blowing film, I'm not sure I was ready for this one. I'm definitely going to have to watch this again.

Also, What's Love Got to do With It? The Tina and Ike story, it was ok, I can think of several other true stories that I would put on the list before this, but that's ok too.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? A pretty mind blowing film, I'm not sure I was ready for this one. I'm definitely going to have to watch this again.
I need to watch it again too

I watched this many weeks, to well over a month ago, but I can't find where I mentioned it at. So, I really enjoyed this one, and I see where Sharky's Machine came up with some of their ideas. I thought so, anyway.

WARNING: "Laura" spoilers below
Due to being reminded of Sharky's Machine, right away, it was pretty easy to assume that they would both fall for her, and that she would end up alive. Even though I assumed the accurate killer to start, that one scene drove me nuts, where everyone is in her living room, and they jump from suspect, to suspect. I became a tad unsure of who it may be. I love how he solved the crime, as well. The two clocks. Excuse my memory, if I said something a tad off. It's been a while.

P.S. Forgive me.
Oh, it's probably not for what you might think, I'm an alcoholic and even after being off the sauce for eleven years now sometimes watching a complete and total alcohol fest like this still gives me some fits sometimes. Certainly it was a great film, and I'm glad I saw it, sometimes I just need to be in a different place emotionally to really enjoy it more and not be so wrapped up in all the booze and dysfunction. I'm still a work in progress or so they say.

Oh, it's probably not for what you might think, I'm an alcoholic and even after being off the sauce for eleven years now sometimes watching a complete and total alcohol fest like this still gives me some fits sometimes. Certainly it was a great film, and I'm glad I saw it, sometimes I just need to be in a different place emotionally to really enjoy it more and not be so wrapped up in all the booze and dysfunction. I'm still a work in progress or so they say.
Wow, you are doing very well