🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I was thinking last night – did the term "away team" start in the Original Series or was it a Next Generation term?
I dont recall hearing the term in TOS. As far as I remember, it was always called a "landing party."

I was thinking last night – did the term "away team" start in the Original Series or was it a Next Generation term?
I'm pretty sure that phrase was first used on Next Generation. However the Next Generation term 'Number One' for the second in command, Riker...was first used in the pilot for the original ST The Cage, where Majel Barret was referred to as Number One by Captain Pike.

I dont recall hearing the term in TOS. As far as I remember, it was always called a "landing party."
I'm pretty sure that phrase was first used on Next Generation. However the Next Generation term 'Number One' for the second in command, Riker...was first used in the pilot for the original ST The Cage, where Majel Barret was referred to as Number One by Captain Pike.
Thank you both .

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I guess CS isn't going to post a quote, so I'll post the next one.

Who said this to whom and in what episode?

A disease has destroyed us. Beware of it. After your long journey, I'm sorry to give you only a recorded welcome, but we who have guarded the outpost for you will be dead by the time you take possession of this planet.
I know it! I know it! It one of the episodes with the creepiest music around, very effective score.
It is at that! But we still need a name.

@Citizen Rules, Do you want to name the episode, or should I?
(Hint: I'll give you the guest star's name, but not the episode name. Lee Meriwether.)

@Citizen Rules, Do you want to name the episode, or should I?
(Hint: I'll give you the guest star's name, but not the episode name. Lee Meriwether.)
You can name it, and for a bonus point what was her name. I think I know:

WARNING: "name" spoilers below
Lucinda or something close to that.

It looks like Gbg knows this one. Citizen, you know it too, but do you know the name of the episode?
I do and usually I'm not great at remembering specific episode names. It's: That Which Survives. An episode I didn't really like when younger, but now have learned to appreciate.

I do and usually I'm not great at remembering specific episode names. It's: That Which Survives. An episode I didn't really like when younger, but now have learned to appreciate.

I've noticed a similarity in a piece of weird music between that episode and Star Trek II

Listen to the music that starts at 1:50,

Now listen th o the music that starts at 8:50 here,

Do you hear the similarity?

I've noticed a similarity in a piece of weird music between that episode and Star Trek II

Sort of, I don't have a real good ear for music tones. But yeah it did seem like the similar sound.

Yeah, those first two trumpet chords are virtually the same. And as soon as I heard it from the TOS clip I could tell something similar was coming (from remembering the scene in the WOK clip - don't know how many times I've seen WOK!)

The TOS one has a lot more mute (mutes on the trumpets, that is - at least one of them) but the one from WOK doesn't have the mute sound.

I wonder if this was coincidental or intentional: i.e. the composer actually remembering the TOS music or trying to copy it for this scene in the movie?

That's a very musically astute catch right there!

I was aware of that too. Coincidentally, in the last month I read that James Horner was criticised for "borrowing" from other musicians. In this case it's straightforward. Alexander Courage's Star Trek theme is used at the beginning and I assume he has a credit, so if this scene is an extra (and obvious) homage by Horner it certainly enhances my experience .

I was aware of that too. Coincidentally, in the last month I read that James Horner was criticised for "borrowing" from other musicians. In this case it's straightforward. Alexander Courage's Star Trek theme is used at the beginning and I assume he has a credit, so if this scene is an extra (and obvious) homage by Horner it certainly enhances my experience .
I liked James Horner's soundtrack for Star Trek II. It's one of the best I've ever heard.

"His score for James Cameron's Titanic is the best-selling orchestral film soundtrack of all time."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Horner

Yeah, those first two trumpet chords are virtually the same. And as soon as I heard it from the TOS clip I could tell something similar was coming (from remembering the scene in the WOK clip - don't know how many times I've seen WOK!)

The TOS one has a lot more mute (mutes on the trumpets, that is - at least one of them) but the one from WOK doesn't have the mute sound.

I wonder if this was coincidental or intentional: i.e. the composer actually remembering the TOS music or trying to copy it for this scene in the movie?

That's a very musically astute catch right there!
I'm not sure if he knew about it or not. It would be interesting if he did. As far as the muted instruments from TOS, it sounds more like a muted trombone given the tonal slide between the high and low notes.

I'm not sure if he knew about it or not. It would be interesting if he did. As far as the muted instruments from TOS, it sounds more like a muted trombone given the tonal slide between the high and low notes.
Yes, certainly could be - I was thinking perhaps trombones involved also. Good call on the slide!

Of course, this makes me think of one of my favorite pieces of sci-fi music: the Lost In Space opening by (then) "Johnny" Williams (didn't care for the earlier version, but this one has the intense count down sequence and the French horns are amazing!)

Here's an orchestra playing BOTH versions from the show...

I hate to be a nit-picker, but it sounds to me, in the Cincinnati Pops version of the 2nd theme (@ 1:49) that they flubbed the opening of the countdown sequence! Like they either missed a beat, or the percussion came in a beat late or the very first beat wasn't loud enough (like somebody wasn't ready) - just sounds off (to me anyway), which is sad because that countdown is the best part!

Forgive me, I played in a concert band in high school, so I listen for these things.

You can name it, and for a bonus point what was her name. I think I know:

WARNING: "name" spoilers below
Lucinda or something close to that.
It looks like Gbg knows this one. Citizen, you know it too, but do you know the name of the episode?

I'm sorry I disappeared for a few days, but my computer crashed, and it's taken me until tonight to get back up and running with a new system. (But at least I got all my data back from the crashed system. )

Yes, the episode was "That Which Survives", and I think the woman's name was Losira.

I'm sorry I disappeared for a few days, but my computer crashed, and it's taken me until tonight to get back up and running with a new system. (But at least I got all my data back from the crashed system. )

Yes, the episode was "That Which Survives", and I think the woman's name was Losira.
Do you know why your computer crashed? And what was the old system and what did you replace it with? BTW that happened to me several weeks ago.

Do you know why your computer crashed?

I haven't finished troubleshooting it yet, but I think it's probably that something in the Windows 8 startup files got corrupted somehow. It was running a program overnight, and it was in a Windows diagnostic mode when I woke up. When it finished, it just had a message that it couldn't fix the problem, and it wouldn't boot up anymore. It just kept looping for hours in a diagnostic mode. I was able to get it to a command prompt, so I was pretty sure that I could get my files if I got the hard drive out of there.

Since my first concern was getting to some of my recent files that I hadn't backed up yet, I just did the quickest thing, and I bought another system. Then I put the old hard drive into an external case, and I added it to the new system to get my files. That worked, so the hard drive itself seems to be okay.

But now I'm stuck with a Windows 10 system, and so far I've found quite a few annoying bugs in it, especially in their new MS Edge browser. (Yoda will probably be getting a "heads-up" PM from me about it in a few days if I can't find any fixes in the settings.)

Do you know why your computer crashed? And what was the old system and what did you replace it with? BTW that happened to me several weeks ago.
The old system was a Lenovo Windows 8 system. (Don't EVER buy a Lenovo computer. I had problems with it from Day 1. )

The new system is an Acer Windows 10 system. I was just looking for something inexpensive for basic eBay stuff, MoFo, and other low-end stuff. I'm not a gamer, or anything like that, so I don't need a high-end system.