Thor

→ in
Tools    

I'm sure if you're reading this, then you've probably also read the praise aimed at this Marvel flick. And surprisingly, it's pretty accurate praise. It may be one of the more obscure 'out-there' bits in the Marvel canon (at least compared to what's been seen on the big screen), incorporating mythology and set in places other than our World. Yet, these aspects that make it potentially a harder sell are also what makes it such a charming ride.

It's a simple enough plot, Thor's cast out for starting a War and has to grow in order to reclaim his Throne from his manipulative Brother, helped by a few of his friends from home and some new ones on Earth. It's not quite got the finesse of Iron Man, Thor's character arc is rounded and completed fairly easily in order to conclude the narrative in a predictable fashion. There's not the same impression of growth as Tony Stark but it doesn't dwell as much as you'd expect on introducing Thor, instead moves along at a brisk pace with some nice CGI led action sequence. Most his time on Earth is character building, and there's some good interactions between the cast and some nice lines in the script to stop it dragging. The main winner is in the actors; Hemsworth does well exuding power and arrogance then humility when necessary, Portman is a delight as always and Hopkins brings the cast together with a powerful performance as their ruler. They've toned down the nods and priming for The Avengers and the ones here don't stick out like a sore thumb, they're natural plot elements. There's a cameo for Hawkeye and a nice post-credit sequence that's surely a precursor to The Avengers and nod what they'll be up against.

It's not the greatest film, perhaps at times a bit too crowded with side characters and the standard establishment of roots over threat but it's a fine blockbuster and probably better than it should be. Certainly a strong indication for the performance of The Avengers and hopefully a sequel for itself. If you're looking for a decent film to see at the cinema, this is one of the better release so far this year

Ok you've convinced me to bite the bullet. I was gonna give this film a miss before (along with all the other superhero flicks due out this year), but the reviews have been very good and yours seems like it's at least worth a shot.

It's very much a superhero flick, it's not quite up to the calibre of highest regarded ones (after one viewing at least) but if you're getting caught up in The Avengers build up and want a solid fun action film, it's worth it. Let me know what you think

Interesting that it's opening in the U.S. over a week later than in most other places; only Japan and South Africa are getting it after the U.S. I guess they expect it to play very well internationally, which I guess I can see.

Don't films generally get released 'Internationally' before US when studios want to gauge the reception and how much money to put into it's US release?

Yep, pretty much. If it does well, they can also put out all the good reviews it gets to help convince those who, otherwise, may not take a punt on it.

This movie was surprisingly good... But I wish the scenes on earth were better written.
But Hemsworth rocks the hell out of this.. One of Marvel's best casting so far IMO, cos Thor is not an easy character to portray unlike other Marvel characters.

It can be seen that Brannagh must not have had much creative freedom over this, but since this film is doing really well, I hope he gets more freedom in the sequel (I am sure many will disagree).

Wow! People actually liked this movie? I finally got around to watching it and must I say, It was a very big disappointment for me. The script is very poor with gaping plot holes, the character development non existent, chemistry between the two leads rushed and in the end I felt that most of the actors remained under-used. Like the OP said, the narrative was so predictable and ordinary, it magnified all the stupidities of the film.
Yeah sure, the CGI was slick, action was good, a few bits of silly humor, the cast looked the part, but it does not make up for the lack of thought in the writing process.
I was hoping this would be a step up to Iron Man, but it was not to be. I'd rate this movie just like any CGI infested no-brainer movie (read avatar, transformer etc).
4/10

Thor Was It Worth It !!??

Hello Friends!

I am a casual fan of comic books. I am not a die-hard fan that shows up at my local comic book store every Tuesday (day which all the new comics are out) and buys up all the new issues. I use to read comics when i was a kid, but I stopped reading because of the story lines. They stopped making sense to me, and really lost the heart of the story.

Thor is the same way. I have only read Thor a few times, and from what I watched i was totally lost. If you want to make a comic book movie main stream like Batman, Spiderman, Hulk, X-men and on and on. You need to back story it. You need to introduce main characters, supporting roles, so that someone who hasn’t spent the last 10 years in a comic book store will understand what is going on.

Thor throws you right into a battle between Odin (Thor’s dad) and the Ice Giants. OK which is fine, other movies have thrown you right into battle (Star Wars, ETC…) after the beginning battle scene and after Sir Anthony Hopkins tells you the back story, we are thrown into a celebration scene of Thor becoming King. OK fine I’m still with you Branagh. Asgard is attack by a few soldiers of the Ice Giants and Thor being the cocky GOD, decides to go to their planet and ask questions which then a battle takes place and Thor fights them all. Odin saves Thor’s group, and the Ice giants wage war on Asgard.

Odin banishes Thor from Asgard, send him to Earth were he meets Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). More things happen on Asgard, Loki takes over, tried to kill Thor and Odin all the while Loki is in cahoots with the Ice Giants. Loki makes a deal to have his father killed so he can be King. Lost yet? Yeah this is how the movie goes.

Branagh (movie director), jumps from world to world excepting you to know the story of Thor. But one thing Branagh missed is that comic book version of Thor is a total 180 of this movie.He misses that pureness of what makes Thor such a good comic book. Maybe if he was to read a few comic books about Thor, maybe the movie would have came out dare i say better? Below is the Marvel story of Thor. Read it, think about how much better Thor would have been if Branagh would have followed what Stan Lee and Jack Kirby came up with.

Clip from Thor’s Marvel page:

Thor’s father Odin decides his son needs to be taught humility and consequently places Thor (without memories of godhood) into the body and memories of an existing, partially disabled human medical student, Donald Blake. After becoming a doctor and on holiday in Norway, Blake witnesses the arrival of an alien scouting party. Blake flees into a cave after they hear him and begin pursuing him, and after discovering Thor’s disguised hammer Mjolnir, and striking it against a rock, transforms into the thunder-god.

Defeating the aliens, Thor shares a double life with his alter ego: treating the ill in a private practice with nurse – and eventual love – Jane Foster and defending humanity from evil. Thor’s presence on Earth almost immediately attracts the attention of his stepbrother and arch-foe Loki; who returns repeatedly to Earth in a bid to destroy Thor.

I am not, nor do i think of myself as a person who could direct a Hollywood worthy movie. But after reading the above paragraph, I for one would think this would have been a far better movie, then what is on screens now. Branagh made this movie too much, he took all the Thor history, bunched it all in one 1:59 minute movie, and hoped for blockbuster. It almost seems that Branagh was rushing this movie so produces could get The Avengers promotions underway. This movie lacks the soul of other comic books movie which made them great. Thor will do good opening weekend, but will not have the lasting power of say a Batman or a Spiderman. No my friends this movie will go down as a semi OK comic book movie, somewhere in between Daredevil and X-men Origins: Wolverine.

Unfortunately the Stan Lee curse still lives on. (see Mallrats)

i'm gonna watch this movie! thanks

Thor was everything I was hoping for and quality entertainment from opening scene to the last. The director presents the entire film in a way that can be savored. Many aspects are classical drama and yet other aspects are just plain old fun kick-butt action scenes. It’s a perfect blend and yet it still remembers to pack a heart. The pacing was perfect even though I would’ve liked to have seen more quality time spent between Jane and Thor. That would’ve added more credibility to the chemistry and longing they both display for each other. Besides a few minor shortcuts in story, this film packs quite a punch and is every bit as good as I hoped it would be.

9/10

Thor was fantastic. Saying 'it could be better', without providing reasons (like tino1534 did) just makes it a null statement in my opinion. Anything/Everything could be better.